Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To PPF or not to PPF?

Paint Protection?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always use Rhino Detailing and Films in Huntington Beach. I had them put Xpel ultimate on the front end and then CS2 titanium ceramic coating. They tinted the windows with Suntek CXP and I also had them wrap my center console in Xpel stealth. I personally applied Gyeon leather shield to the white interior, applied a screen protector, and put in 3D Maxspider floor mats. Now everything is nice and protected.

68313DC6-7D53-4FAF-89B5-DCAF72C88BA2.jpeg
8AD79D47-D0AA-4E1F-AB51-F5C0336D40FB.jpeg
88999128-F582-467A-8EBA-A863FB3377C1.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B6D103F-C93E-4ED2-B605-CAC8A330D37D.jpeg
    7B6D103F-C93E-4ED2-B605-CAC8A330D37D.jpeg
    605.3 KB · Views: 115
has anyone tried putting on their own PPF themselves to save on money? i figured some companies have the films pre cut and all you need to do is use their solvent to have the film stick on.

I have done it for a few cars and two of my motorcycles. You technically can do it, but its not like installing ppf on a flat phone/tablet. When it comes to front bumpers, there's a lot of curves and the pre-cut stuff dumbs down the cuts so its not as difficult to self install, causing it to have less than ideal areas. Sometimes they will split an area since they won't expect you to be able to heat and stretch out the pattern correctly (instead you'll mess it up then give them a bad review for something that didn't fit).

Some areas like a curved side view mirror can be really tricky because it's shaped like a curved L and that means the edges of the film bunch up into "Fingers". Again, inexperienced person won't know how to handle it. Even if you keep working on the area till you get it to fit, as you rubbed down the fingers to make it sit flat, you can cause wrinkles/creases that will still show in the film after the install is done.

I'd do it again on my motorcycle as it wasn't hard, but I wouldn't want to install ppf on the bumper of my 3. Not saying you can't do it, some people will obviously do better than me on it. You could self install the A pillers, mudguard/rockerpanels, sideview mirrors, yourself and see how easy it was for you before you invest in larger cuts of film.

Reactions: RT-3
has anyone tried putting on their own PPF themselves to save on money? i figured some companies have the films pre cut and all you need to do is use their solvent to have the film stick on.
with patience and with watching a LOT of youtube videos to ensure you use proper technique? Something like the hood? Probably doable.
But front bumper? I wouldnt bet on it being done well as a first time attempt with zero experience

I tried to do the front bumper on the Model 3 myself, didn't realize that this is basically impossible in cold temperatures and completely failed ruining the film. I just paid for someone else to do full front plus rocker panels on the model Y, in the future I'll probably pay for the front bumper with its complex geometry and do the rest myself.

Reactions: RT-3
Using that logic, no one should care if Tesla provides a 8 year battery warranty. Right?

Not if you lease......

Next time you are in the PPF shops, ask the detailers if he does clear PPF for cars under 60K other than Teslas..... I seriously think only Tesla owners do this. In my building's garage, the only cars with PPF are 100k+ Porsches and M3/MY Teslas..... none of the BMW or MB.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I would say PPF is good for darker colored cars. I always hated washing our black Audi. Even with the double bucket method with a grit guard. We eventually got micro swirls all over the body. With PPF , micro swirls are non existent.

Unless you have wrapped a car in the past, I would suggest you don't try it yourself unless you want to invest the time and raw material to learn. There is a reason why most people pay someone to do it. the final product, if done well will last years and look professional. Sure you can do it yourself but I can pretty much guarantee you that you will be re-doing many parts or the coverage will be lacking.

Again, nothing wrong with doing it yourself but set your expectations accordingly. If you do decide to do it, let us know how it goes. Share your work with the group--maybe it will inspire more to do it. Good luck.

Unless you have wrapped a car in the past, I would suggest you don't try it yourself unless you want to invest the time and raw material to learn. There is a reason why most people pay someone to do it. the final product, if done well will last years and look professional. Sure you can do it yourself but I can pretty much guarantee you that you will be re-doing many parts or the coverage will be lacking.

Again, nothing wrong with doing it yourself but set your expectations accordingly. If you do decide to do it, let us know how it goes. Share your work with the group--maybe it will inspire more to do it. Good luck.
Yeah i once tried to fog my headlights. Just little headlights and it turned out so bad on the edges after multiple attempts. They charge the price for a good reason, and it takes multiple days as well.

Reactions: XPEL and DoctaM3
I'm on the side of keeping the paint as is, and spending money to detail and repair.

People shell out thousands for pff, and then still need to repair it when it gets damaged.

I could have my hood and front bumper professionally repainted for less than the cost of some ppf installs.

PPF is not "thousands". A decent front bumper / hood / fenders / mirrors job should cost $1,500 max. How much would you pay to paint those panels? Not for less than that. And yes, you need to repair it when it gets damaged, but your paint is still perfect, usually. And if you do paint the car, you'll likely take a hit when you sell it, costing you even more money. Finally, if you have the pearl white, good luck getting a match!

If you're talking a whole car PPF, with edges wrapped that's $5k or more then yes I agree to an extent.

Not sure how the Model Y is but I'm VERY glad I have it. I've had it on both my Model 3's and with the front end being so low, and me doing so many miles, it's unreal how many strikes I see that the PPF has saved me.

On the other hand, my wife's Cayenne didn't get done, and it's got 93k miles on it. It's lighter, so you can't see it as much, but it definitely has a bunch of rash on the front.

My 911 has no PPF but I don't drive it many miles. Probably would make sense to do so but I'm too cheap, lol.

SO all depends on how you're driving it, where and for how many miles. Put count on re-painting a car to get rid of chips? That's not a good plan.

• Disagree
Reactions: Buddy
I say DO IT. At least the full front and here's why.

Yes the argument can be made that you can just repaint and replace the front part of the car. HOWEVER, paint fades over time no matter how good it is. If you have a freshly coated new front bumper with 5 year old paint everywhere else it's super noticeable.

Also, no matter how well you drive, rock chips will demolish your bumper. The xpel helps with that and although it's not 100 percent, it prevents alot. And lastly, if a bird poops on it and you don't clean your paint, your left with a huge stain there which happened before. With xpel or a clear bra it wipes away.

Reactions: Needsdecaf