Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To protect the screen or not to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an M3P on order and waiting for a delivery date.

In the meantime, I started looking for a good screen protector and was told by a Tesla mechanic not to put one on because they have seen many problems caused by the protectors that voids the factory warranty on the screen.

Hearing this, has me rethinking a protector.

Has any heard of such problems??

Last edited:
I haven’t had one on my 2019 Model S and have had zero problems; scratches/scuffs on the screen in 5 years.
Now I did install a screen protector on my Model Y and Model 3. Haven’t had any issues, they won’t void your warranty.
Are they necessary no, do they give you a cheap sense of mental security from scratches/scuffs, yes.

I haven’t had one on my 2019 Model S and have had zero problems; scratches/scuffs on the screen in 5 years.
Now I did install a screen protector on my Model Y and Model 3. Haven’t had any issues, they won’t void your warranty.
Are they necessary no, do they give you a cheap sense of mental security from scratches/scuffs, yes.

I screwed up. He said that the warranty on the screen would be void, not the whole car

I have one on my Model 3's screen for the same reason I have one on my phone. What problems could a screen protector possibly cause? Ask your mechanic friend to elaborate.

I have seen threads with people talking about their touch input not being accurate, or phantom touches on the screen (things randomly activating). If I remember those things boiled down to the screen protector. I havent seen a lot of that though, and would chalk it up to improper installation of the protector.

Tesla probably has seen more of that (people taking cars in for warranty service for "my touch screen isnt working right", and it being improper installation of a screen protector) than has been posted here. Such a complaint wouldnt be covered under warranty of course.

Anyway, I have not seen a large number of that stuff posted here by any means, so if one wanted to use a screen protector, I dont see any reason not to. I dont see a reason to use them myself however (and I dont use them on my phones either). I have yet to have any sort of issue with any smartphone I have had, and none of them have had screen protectors (going back to when iphones were launched in around 2007 or so). I have not had a screen protector on my model 3 that I got in 2018 and the screen still looks brand new.

Perhaps I am an outlier? No idea.

I told the Tesla tech that I have had a screen protector on two M3's for over 2 years each and never had a problem. I also said that all of the cars were in the garage, and I only drive some 9,000 miles a year.

He mentioned that it had to do with the sun coming in on the screen protector and being that my car wasn't in the sun that long, I was OK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 12
Screens are generally much more scratch-resistant than screen protectors, so ask yourself how often you expect to scratch/replace the screen protector, then divide that number by umteen. Maybe wise if you have rowdy kids, dogs, or people wearing rings like Vanessa Bryant's.

Many protectors are available in a satin finish which reduces glare, reduces visible fingerprints, and slightly changes the look and feel. Some people prefer these benefits over the sharper, clearer, image you get without a protector. And of course, the more layers of stuff you have on the screen, the weaker the touch detection will become. The screen is always illuminated whenever you're within sight of it, so fingerprints are seldom noticeable.

Note that if there is any aftermarket anything anywhere in the path of a Tesla service tech, they will refuse to diagnose that part of the car.

Reactions: rlsd
Techs it’s all just their opinion, how many times have they been snd the manual changes all the time as do updates.

Everything voids warranty it’s their failsafe go to response and a cash flow

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tried many of the various textures/coatings available on screen protectors, which ones make the most sense in a automotive environment with that brightness of screen, direct sunlight, or other helpful factors?

Is there a preference for a specific type ? Matte was popular for phones for awhile, but seems like many have gone to a smooth finish, what works bets in a vehicle that is expected to remain completely food free and generally speaking fairly tidy and clean at all times. Other than body oils and fingerprints...

2022 Model 3, no issues without one. I wipe the screen with the supplied cloth once a week or so. I did consider one right at the beginning, but decided not to when I saw how much plastic and crap was involved for 1 measly screen protector.

I also always use a sun shade, even in winter!

Same here - 2019 TM3P, 68K miles, zero issues with the naked screen.
I briefly looked at screen protectors, but decided to pass on them. For two reasons:
  1. Reduced sensitivity for interactions with the one and only vehicle UI.
  2. Reported issues with Tesla disavowing warranty on the screens by blaming screen protectors for excessive heat build-up and thus screen failures.
#2 makes little logical sense, but with Tesla owning Service Centers, they can get away with anything when denying warranty. Plan accordingly.

I have one on my Model 3's screen for the same reason I have one on my phone.

Unlike my phone(-s), I don't throw the Tesla screen in my pockets with other stuff, nor does it fall out of my pockets into the couch, into sand on the beach, etc.
Basically, the only opportunity for things to come in contact with it are either in case of an accident, or if I were to transport long and poorly secured objects in the car by folding down the seats (e.g.: skis, ladders, logs, etc.). In the case of the former - who cares, it will be an insurance claim either way. In the case of the latter - I don't do any of those things with this car.

MOE J said:
I also bought a display screen cover (neoprene) for when it gets hot inside car

A what and why?
Because this, I hope:
1717371950977.png

HTH,
a

Reactions: MarkoP