Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Spoiler or Not To Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered the Performance Plus with center cut in gloss from RPM. I was strongly considering the Razzo style because of the edge-to-edge coverage, but I think it would be too heavy for the back of the car the more I looked at pictures and video. RPM seems to sell the fact these performance versions fit better so I waited until they became available with the cutout center, I like that look.

I also think prep is a huge part of the stick down. I have a similar spoiler on my S2000 and I have had zero issues with it detaching. A friend who has the same lost it on a drive. The difference? I prepped the area really well. The attachment area needs to be free of oils. So multiple IPA wipe downs then buffing with a MF towel to remove residuals. Repeat a few times. Dry fit the spoiler and tape/mark where it sits the best. Then warming the area and the spoiler itself to at least 80deg F. Apply an adhesion promoter to JUST area the spoiler will cover. Let that set-up then rewarm the trunk and apply the spoiler using your marks. Keep pressure on it into the trunk for several minutes. If you have someone else to help, have them tape it down to help pull it into the trunk. Then LEAVE IT ALONE for the night.

All that said, I'll likely get the spoiler before I get the car at this point.. EDD is Sept right now...
I also read that you should take a clay bar to the area to remove any ceramic coat or coatings. I’m going to try that this time. Last time I did the adhesion promoter with ipa wipe downs. The cheap one I bought had to be forced into place. Based on videos from rpm it appears their spoilers naturally lay down.

I bought one of the $100 OEM-looking spoilers and neither corner would adhere. I threw it away. But the BIGGER RPM spoilers have caught my attention. In RPM's description, they mention they "add more downforce" but does anyone know if/how they impact HIGHWAY speed efficiency? I make 3 LONG road trips in the WINTER and need EVERY advantage I can eek out of our Y (Aero caps, PSI pumped up, slightly lower speeds and cabin temp).

I bought one of the $100 OEM-looking spoilers and neither corner would adhere. I threw it away. But the BIGGER RPM spoilers have caught my attention. In RPM's description, they mention they "add more downforce" but does anyone know if/how they impact HIGHWAY speed efficiency? I make 3 LONG road trips in the WINTER and need EVERY advantage I can eek out of our Y (Aero caps, PSI pumped up, slightly lower speeds and cabin temp).
Was it 3M adhesive? The one I just bought from Carwiner on Amazon says it is so I’m gonna try it.

From what I have been able to find out the spoilers actually increase efficiency.

I also read that you should take a clay bar to the area to remove any ceramic coat or coatings. I’m going to try that this time. Last time I did the adhesion promoter with ipa wipe downs. The cheap one I bought had to be forced into place. Based on videos from rpm it appears their spoilers naturally lay down.

Yeah, that's a good idea. The ceramic coating makes the surface super slick.

Didn't know a clay bar would remove the coating...heard ceramic is pretty tough to remove once properly applied.

Didn't know a clay bar would remove the coating...heard ceramic is pretty tough to remove once properly applied.
I only use Turtle Wax seal n’ shine on mine. That’s about it. I’ll still claybar it to be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucsdsig

We will find out. They say clay bar will remove ceramic coat. I’m going to do the whole area and then ceramic coat everything including the spoiler when finished. Note: most carbon fiber spoilers recommend being coated with something like ceramic. If you don’t they tend to look like crap in a couple years from the sun.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Unless your coating is already worn, clay bar won't remove it. You'll need to polish it to fully remove the coating. If you have a polisher then its quick work. Polishing by hand shouldn't be too bad since its a pretty small area. But either way, polishing will be required to fully remove a coating.

Unless your coating is already worn, clay bar won't remove it. You'll need to polish it to fully remove the coating. If you have a polisher then its quick work. Polishing by hand shouldn't be too bad since its a pretty small area. But either way, polishing will be required to fully remove a coating.
I have PPF on mine so I’m trying not to polish it. I read it is ok to polish PPF but I’m worried of damaging it. Mine was a sport coating that was listed for 6 months on the hatch. It was applied in may so I’m hoping it is worn enough. I will try the clay bar as it can remove light/worn ceramic coat. When I get the new spoiler on I plan to apply Avalon king over the spoiler and everything.

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface really well before putting on a spoiler. I've even used it when I had a ceramic coating. Don't use any wax to "clean" and prep the surface. Then you can use some adhesive promotor on a q-tip and run it across the trunk lid where the double-sided tape will stick to it. Also use a hairdryer or heat gun to warm up (soften up) the double-sided tape and then press the spoiler onto the trunk lid, as it'll adhere better to the surface. Then and secure the spoiler with some painters tape and let it set. This will keep the spoiler ends from coming up and it'll stay on there rock solid. Then use some isopropyl alcohol to wipe any excess adhesive promotor around the spoiler, and then use some wax or polish on the trunk lid around the spoiler to clean everything up.

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface really well before putting on a spoiler. I've even used it when I had a ceramic coating. Don't use any wax to "clean" and prep the surface. Then you can use some adhesive promotor on a q-tip and run it across the trunk lid where the double-sided tape will stick to it. Also use a hairdryer or heat gun to warm up (soften up) the double-sided tape and then press the spoiler onto the trunk lid, as it'll adhere better to the surface. Then and secure the spoiler with some painters tape and let it set. This will keep the spoiler ends from coming up and it'll stay on there rock solid. Then use some isopropyl alcohol to wipe any excess adhesive promotor around the spoiler, and then use some wax or polish on the trunk lid around the spoiler to clean everything up.
How long after I added the alcohol do I wait to install? Honestly, all this is starting to sound like too much to install a spoiler that may or may not stick up at the ends over time.

The alcohol is just used to thoroughly clean & prep the surface before sticking any adhesive (double-sided tape from a spoiler) onto it. Alcohol also dries/evaporates fast, so as soon as you wipe the trunk lip area down you can apply the spoiler onto it immediately afterwards.... assuming that the surface is dry and that you didn't use too much alcohol where you still see it damp or wet on the trunk.

Just like painting something, all of the work to make the paint job last is done during the prep. If you do a lousy job prepping the surface before sticking on a spoiler, then it's probably going to start coming off the car later on (like most factory Performance spoilers on Model Y and Model 3 cars). Sure the curve of the spoiler also has something to do with that, as not all spoilers are made exactly the same. But for the most part, if it has good double-sided tape stuck to it and you prep the trunk lid surface well, then it will stay in place. I'm sure Tesla doesn't do much prep work when installing these from the factory and just wipes the trunk lid down with a rag so it 'looks' clean, and then just quickly sticks on the spoiler (not using any painters tape to hold it down and let it set) and then the car moves onto the next station at the factory.

I just like doing some additional things to help insure that a spoiler won't come off or start to raise on the ends, like using 3M adhesive promotor on the trunk where the tape will stick to, and using a hairdryer to heat up & soften up the double-sided tape so it's more pliable when sticking it to the car. Also, using some painters tape to secure the spoiler will help keep the pressure on it and let everything set. You obviously don't need to do these things, but your spoiler will stay on better if you do.

Reactions: Darmie
View attachment 691020I’m debating. Really debating. The look, style and beauty of a spoiler vs not having one.

Would it look too much like I wanted a MYP, but didn’t want to pay the difference? Not sure how others look at that. There are different MY’s are to be fair there should be easy way to ID them(other than the brake caliper color and suspension).

Here’s the one I’m considering and from what I read they fixed the “un- sticking”.

V-style, Matte
Get it

The alcohol is just used to thoroughly clean & prep the surface before sticking any adhesive (double-sided tape from a spoiler) onto it. Alcohol also dries/evaporates fast, so as soon as you wipe the trunk lip area down you can apply the spoiler onto it immediately afterwards.... assuming that the surface is dry and that you didn't use too much alcohol where you still see it damp or wet on the trunk.

Just like painting something, all of the work to make the paint job last is done during the prep. If you do a lousy job prepping the surface before sticking on a spoiler, then it's probably going to start coming off the car later on (like most factory Performance spoilers on Model Y and Model 3 cars). Sure the curve of the spoiler also has something to do with that, as not all spoilers are made exactly the same. But for the most part, if it has good double-sided tape stuck to it and you prep the trunk lid surface well, then it will stay in place. I'm sure Tesla doesn't do much prep work when installing these from the factory and just wipes the trunk lid down with a rag so it 'looks' clean, and then just quickly sticks on the spoiler (not using any painters tape to hold it down and let it set) and then the car moves onto the next station at the factory.

I just like doing some additional things to help insure that a spoiler won't come off or start to raise on the ends, like using 3M adhesive promotor on the trunk where the tape will stick to, and using a hairdryer to heat up & soften up the double-sided tape so it's more pliable when sticking it to the car. Also, using some painters tape to secure the spoiler will help keep the pressure on it and let everything set. You obviously don't need to do these things, but your spoiler will stay on better if you do.
I wanted to get your opinion. I ended up ordering from these guys. They seems to have great reviews with a bunch if other Tesla products that they sell. I debated going with RPM, but they only sell carbon fiber spoiler like the ones I’m looking for. This is one matte black which is one I’m looking for. Carwiner Tesla Model Y Trunk Spoiler Wing ABS Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing Performance Carbon fiber Sport Accessories 2020 2021 (Matte Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097C8HW6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2QWN2S8D8XVBF94RJNRA

So I’ll definitely to go the route you talked about.
Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface really well.

Then use some adhesive promotor on a q-tip and run it across the trunk lid where the double-sided tape will stick to it.
*** (Do I add this adhesive to the line in the trunk or also above and below this line?)***

Also use a hairdryer or heat gun to warm up (soften up) the double-sided tape.

Install spoiler

Good pointers here with the promotor and hair dryer.
I purchase one off of ebay for around 72 bucks. I removed the tape that was on it and applied 3m tape. I haven't installed it yet. I plan on a day that I won't be driving the car. I didn't want the carbon fiber look and I think this doesn't look bad.

Attachments

• messages_0 (34).jpeg
    messages_0 (34).jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 131
  • messages_0 (32).jpeg
    messages_0 (32).jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 98
  • messages_0 (31).jpeg
    messages_0 (31).jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 92
  • messages_0 (30).jpeg
    messages_0 (30).jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 93
  • messages_0 (29).jpeg
    messages_0 (29).jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 92
  • messages_0 (28).jpeg
    messages_0 (28).jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 93
Is the Y Performance spoiler carbon fiber? I can't decide if I like the look of carbon fiber for it or not. Primarily looking at RPM but debating on which one to get. The only non-carbon fiber looking spoiler seems to be their cheaper satin black version.

Is the Y Performance spoiler carbon fiber? I can't decide if I like the look of carbon fiber for it or not. Primarily looking at RPM but debating on which one to get. The only non-carbon fiber looking spoiler seems to be their cheaper satin black version.
I
I’m going with the v-style matte carbon fiber from RPM. I ordered a matte black and plastic version from Amazon and when it came in today not only is it 9 inches from the trunk opening line (vs 5 inches from RPM), but it just looks cheap. I agree as I debated on whether or not I want carbon fiber as I don’t plan on adding anything else on the exterior, but at the end of the day it won’t bug me.

Reactions: Schulz1983 and md99