Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Spoiler or Not To Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a quick detailer and microfiber. You almost have to rub it off. If the vehicle is properly prepped you really shouldn’t need it. Do you have PPF or ceramic coat?
Yes I have full PPF which was installed two weeks ago, and I'm seriously OCD. LOL I installed an RPM spoiler 3 years ago on my Model 3 with only the tape and it has been secure all that time. I remember laying it down with just the tape and the minute it touched, it felt like it was welded on. The 3M adhesion promoter technical sheet does say that it might require "vigorous rubbing" in order to get it off (I know....that's what "she" said).

After hearing what you said, I may forgo the adhesion promoter in case one day I don't want the spoiler and so I don't need to risk staining the PPF or creating a mess.

I was playing around with positioning the RPM Performance Plus spoiler on my Y last night, and what I found is that you need to really carefully play with the positioning of it in order to make sure all areas lie completely flat on the trunk. One mm too high or too low, and it doesn't hug the contour of the trunk. Today when I install, I plan to position it and then tape it down on the top to act like a hinge so it doesn't shift. Then I will pull the bottom tab first to lock the spoiler to the vertical part of the trunk, and then remove the "hinge" tape on the top so I can then pull the top tab and lock the rest of the spoiler down. That's the plan. On my Model 3, I almost ripped the red tape tabs because I had pulled them in the opposite direction, getting them caught. This time I will be much smarter about it.

1631975388201.png

Yes I have full PPF which was installed two weeks ago, and I'm seriously OCD. LOL I installed an RPM spoiler 3 years ago on my Model 3 with only the tape and it has been secure all that time. I remember laying it down with just the tape and the minute it touched, it felt like it was welded on. The 3M adhesion promoter technical sheet does say that it might require "vigorous rubbing" in order to get it off (I know....that's what "she" said).

After hearing what you said, I may forgo the adhesion promoter in case one day I don't want the spoiler and so I don't need to risk staining the PPF or creating a mess.

I was playing around with positioning the RPM Performance Plus spoiler on my Y last night, and what I found is that you need to really carefully play with the positioning of it in order to make sure all areas lie completely flat on the trunk. One mm too high or too low, and it doesn't hug the contour of the trunk. Today when I install, I plan to position it and then tape it down on the top to act like a hinge so it doesn't shift. Then I will pull the bottom tab first to lock the spoiler to the vertical part of the trunk, and then remove the "hinge" tape on the top so I can then pull the top tab and lock the rest of the spoiler down. That's the plan. On my Model 3, I almost ripped the red tape tabs because I had pulled them in the opposite direction, getting them caught. This time I will be much smarter about it.

View attachment 710935
I had a little issue getting my performance plus spoiler to adhere but it was due to alignment. I didn’t quite have it far enough down. It ended up working out ok. I had to use some squeeze clamps and leave them on for a day. It ultimately worked though.

The matte carbon fiber spoiler thats on my performance contrasts well with the MSM exterior. I personally love it. I would never get some cheap knockoff though. Its a Tesla and not a Civic. Get quality if you do decide to get one. My opinion, which is usually never right. LOL.

The matte carbon fiber spoiler thats on my performance contrasts well with the MSM exterior. I personally love it. I would never get some cheap knockoff though. Its a Tesla and not a Civic. Get quality if you do decide to get one. My opinion, which is usually never right. LOL.
The RPM Tesla spoilers are not cheap knockoffs. They are actually designed better than the oem spoilers. There are several threads going around about the corners lifting on the oem spoilers. RPM designed them better so they have more surface adhesion.

The RPM Tesla spoilers are not cheap knockoffs. They are actually designed better than the oem spoilers. There are several threads going around about the corners lifting on the oem spoilers. RPM designed them better so they have more surface adhesion.

Did I state that RPM Tesla spoilers "were cheap knockoffs"? Please quote me if you see that anywhere. Pardon if you feel my post was directed at you, or RPM, as they make outstanding stuff. I would have physically quoted, if so using the quote function here. Ha!

I was referring to eBay and Amazon crap. Next time, Ill explain more clearly for those in your shoes.

Did I state that RPM Tesla spoilers "were cheap knockoffs"? Please quote me if you see that anywhere. Pardon if you feel my post was directed at you, or RPM, as they make outstanding stuff. I would have physically quoted, if so using the quote function here. Ha!

I was referring to eBay and Amazon crap. Next time, Ill explain more clearly for those in your shoes.
Ah sorry I missed the trap. I read incorrectly. Either way I’m not convinced the oem spoiler is any better than most on the market. Tesla spends a lot of money on replacing them at any rate.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Ah sorry I missed the trap. I read incorrectly. Either way I’m not convinced the oem spoiler is any better than most on the market. Tesla spends a lot of money on replacing them at any rate.

They are good spoilers, but the tape used is 100% hot garbage trash. A lot of them arent even placed on correctly either, leading to the tape that doesnt work well, working even less! Only Tesla! LOL

The mold on the Tesla stock one is not shaped right. I just installed my RPM spoiler at my PPF shop, and he showed me the stock one which doesn't even fit to the tailgate. Edges were up on a new car.

My PPF guy helped me install my RPM spoiler. It fits perfectly. No edges lifting at all. It's extremely well fitted. My PPF guy agreed that the adhesion promoter isn't worth using.

The mold on the Tesla stock one is not shaped right. I just installed my RPM spoiler at my PPF shop, and he showed me the stock one which doesn't even fit to the tailgate. Edges were up on a new car.

My PPF guy helped me install my RPM spoiler. It fits perfectly. No edges lifting at all. It's extremely well fitted. My PPF guy agreed that the adhesion promoter isn't worth using.
Are you doing the whole tape down for 72 hour thing?

Are you doing the whole tape down for 72 hour thing?
My PPF guy taped it down with masking tape, but to be very honest, I doubt it's doing much. Taping really can't add much downforce at all. I was thinking of leaning a ladder against the spoiler in my garage overnight, but if it slipped and fell off the car, I would pretty much jump off a cliff! LOL

I didn't use adhesion promoter either, but I'm not really concerned. With VHB tape, once you've cleaned the surface and adhered it, that stuff is bloody welded on. There's no going back. Fortunately my RPM spoiler was PERFECTLY contoured to the trunk. Every spot was touching, so I know it won't lift.

I might pull off the tape tomorrow. It's pretty useless.

My PPF guy taped it down with masking tape, but to be very honest, I doubt it's doing much. Taping really can't add much downforce at all. I was thinking of leaning a ladder against the spoiler in my garage overnight, but if it slipped and fell off the car, I would pretty much jump off a cliff! LOL

I didn't use adhesion promoter either, but I'm not really concerned. With VHB tape, once you've cleaned the surface and adhered it, that stuff is bloody welded on. There's no going back. Fortunately my RPM spoiler was PERFECTLY contoured to the trunk. Every spot was touching, so I know it won't lift.

I might pull off the tape tomorrow. It's pretty useless.
I left mine the recommended time but used painters tape. I had a problem with the previous spoiler so I was nervous. Day 2 I left it out in the sun to bake. I read on 3Ms website it can help the adhesive cure better. I like the RPM products. The mirror caps look amazing!

Just got my RPM Tesla Performance spoiler in matte carbon last night. While I liked the idea of spoilers going full width, I like the smaller size of the Performance. From what I've read, proper prep and install should result in a perfect fit with no lifting with the RPM. Will take pics and share once installed.

Reactions: Schulz1983
Just got my RPM Tesla Performance spoiler in matte carbon last night. While I liked the idea of spoilers going full width, I like the smaller size of the Performance. From what I've read, proper prep and install should result in a perfect fit with no lifting with the RPM. Will take pics and share once installed.
Nice. I had them replace their oem match with their Razzo two weeks ago and it fits like a glove. No lift at all(had a little lift on the passenger side when they installed the their oem version).
Hope all goes well.
Go Hawks!

My performance plus fit like a glove as well. Just installed.

You need to micro adjust the placement on your trunk because you're putting it on a curved surface. I had to carefully tap it up and down in different spots to make sure it touched the hatch along the entire length of the spoiler. Then I marked the location.

I didn't use the adhesive promoter because another poster told me it was messy. My PPF installer also said he didn't like using it. As long as the surface is cleaned with alcohol, that VHB tape makes the spoiler feel like its welded on.

6C0559D8-B4B8-4EC2-B9D4-AD669BAFFB3D_1_201_a.jpeg

Installed the RPM Tesla Performance matte spoiler yesterday AM and just pulled off the painters tape. Really happy with the fit and finish. It's a quality product. Very well packaged, but was funny to pay $60 shipping for something that has it's weight measured in grams :D

Next is powder coat wheels and get the Vredestein Wintracs installed next month. Then I will cool it on mods until spring (yeah....right haha).

IMG_9835.png
IMG_9836.png

IMG_9837.png
IMG_9838.png
IMG_9840.png
IMG_9841.png