Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To those considering aftermarket versus OEM cabin filter (and installation tips)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in stock finally, so I bought myself a pair of Breathe East cabin filters. They have been a preferred option over the OEM Tesla filter and also slightly beat out the XTechnor HEPA ones too according to this source, but the proof is in the pudding, so I thought I'd add my two cents:

First impressions weren't too great since although they looked similar to the OEM Model 3 filter and the measurements were the same (24.5cm x 14.2cm), the weight was somewhat lighter than the stock OEM Model 3 filters (146 grams versus 210 grams). However, I spent a few hours today in fairly heavy traffic, and like the previously linked video explained, there was almost nothing in the way of exhaust fumes (and I'm sensitive to them because I really hate such fumes). I was behind numerous lorries/semis in stop and go traffic. Nothing. There was just a whiff lasting around a second when I was behind a motorcycle for a few minutes, but other than that, I was very impressed by the lack of fumes entering the car. Don't think I'll need recirculation mode again.

After looking around at various videos, I found this video and this video to have the best lighting/angles to see what was properly going on to help with installation. Took me about 1-2 hours.

Finally, the infamous hard to access torque screw lived up to its infamous reputation, being not just hard to reach, but hard to even see. Had to get a torch and dip my head right in there to see what I was looking at. This tool (UK version) however was a lifesaver and super cheap. Previously, I tried a small 90 degree ratchet wrench and didn't have much luck. But this small ratcheted screwdriver measuring just 80mm long was super handy in reaching in such a confined space. It holds bits, so you need to buy the appropriate torque bit (T20 I believe, but you should really get a set of torque bits - super cheap!), but it's such a handy tool to have anyway because it supports other bits too. If you like, you can even buy a replacement thumb screw to make life easier in future. If you really want to splash out, Abstract Ocean do a magnetic cover for about $30 that removes the need for a screw completely.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin