Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a very nice offer. I will see which mobile guy you were referring too in the link

Well I doubt my life will be in danger with you there ;)

Glad to help out a forum member if I can. I have a few cars you can borrow for the day too if you want while your x is being worked on.

The company name is tintone based out of Anaheim. @mikecaaa seemed genuinely pleased with results. I was told by tintone that in addition to what was listed on the thread, the front fenders were also covered.

I read somewhere that the X should not be waxed prior to wrap so keep that in mind. These guys also do not do c quartz and no paint correction as he's mainly a tint installer.

Well I doubt my life will be in danger with you there ;)

Glad to help out a forum member if I can. I have a few cars you can borrow for the day too if you want while your x is being worked on.

The company name is tintone based out of Anaheim. @mikecaaa seemed genuinely pleased with results. I was told by tintone that in addition to what was listed on the thread, the front fenders were also covered.

I read somewhere that the X should not be waxed prior to wrap so keep that in mind. These guys also do not do c quartz and no paint correction as he's mainly a tint installer.
I asked him for a quote on a few items. We'll see what he comes back with.

Reactions: Diavel
Wow, I appreciate this thread. My family thought I was crazy spending money on a wrap. I had my model S completely wrapped in 2013 with 3M. I was so glad I did the full wrap. Every part of the car has experienced chips and scratches, even places where everyone says it never happens. Mainly the crappy roads in DC/Baltimore, the dump trucks, occasional flying car parts and shovels, yes I was hit by a flying shovel on the highway. Those hard shelled flying mutant cockroaches in Florida, do some damage. The real test was driving through a construction cement sand storm in the 895 tunnel, so bad I thought my sun roof and windshield were done for. 1,000's of cement rocks in 2 minutes, there was no escape. The film took a beating, and I only Needed one tire patched. California drivers have no idea how good their roads actually are. Before this thread I was only expecting a modest increase in wrap cost for my model X size difference. But from reading the prices you guys quoted, I called the same places I did in 2013. Every one of them have tripled their prices!!! 300% in 2.5 years is crazy, but they all claim demand is through the roof. A 2,700$ job is now 7,400$. I know they don't pay $300/hour to the installers. Just saying thanks for the heads up, so I don't get sticker shock with my new vehicle.

By the way, the 3M did not self heal from that construction cement storm, not covered under 3M warranty either. I will go with Xpel or nano for the X. As I can't stand the swirl marks of 3M.

Wow, I appreciate this thread. My family thought I was crazy spending money on a wrap. I had my model S completely wrapped in 2013 with 3M. I was so glad I did the full wrap. Every part of the car has experienced chips and scratches, even places where everyone says it never happens. Mainly the crappy roads in DC/Baltimore, the dump trucks, occasional flying car parts and shovels, yes I was hit by a flying shovel on the highway. Those hard shelled flying mutant cockroaches in Florida, do some damage. The real test was driving through a construction cement sand storm in the 895 tunnel, so bad I thought my sun roof and windshield were done for. 1,000's of cement rocks in 2 minutes, there was no escape. The film took a beating, and I only Needed one tire patched. California drivers have no idea how good their roads actually are. Before this thread I was only expecting a modest increase in wrap cost for my model X size difference. But from reading the prices you guys quoted, I called the same places I did in 2013. Every one of them have tripled their prices!!! 300% in 2.5 years is crazy, but they all claim demand is through the roof. A 2,700$ job is now 7,400$. I know they don't pay $300/hour to the installers. Just saying thanks for the heads up, so I don't get sticker shock with my new vehicle.

By the way, the 3M did not self heal from that construction cement storm, not covered under 3M warranty either. I will go with Xpel or nano for the X. As I can't stand the swirl marks of 3M.
Great information, thanks! I'm getting my X wrapped with xpel ultimate tomorrow, I am in SoCal so I'm only getting the full frontal package.
A flying shovel, this will be hard to forget... wow...

I debated about getting the full wrap or only the front. I'm glad I did the full wrap. After the last software update my FWDs opened directly into the metal track of my garage door. Actually scratched off the xpel but the paint underneath was completely protected.

My driver door is banging into things all the time. Tree branches, concrete posts, those shopping cart return barrier things, etc. The mental peace of mind the wrap gives me was worth the money.

It is the reason we went with a full car wrap even though it is a lot of money (we thought so at least). If all those automatic doors work perfect 99% of the time, they are still going to bang into something at some point. Doesn't matter how careful you are.

S owner here. For those of you in the LA area, I had my car fully wrapped in Xpel by Benjamin at Bemaro Specialty Films. I can't say enough about what an amazing job he did and how happy I am with his work. I've raved several times in the forums about him. Here's a summary:

1. The wrap has saved me from dings and scratches more times than I can count now. It will run about $4K, but it's worth every penny. If you're clumsy like me, I suggest getting a full wrap - I've scraped the underside of my door on the curb and the lift gate on the roof several times already. And rocks and debris are going to hurt that soft paint.

2. There are plenty of places to cut corners. For example, a lot of shops use precut patterns, and I was told they could not cover the entire S rear lift gate with one piece. I would be left with an unsightly seam that would build up dirt. Hand cutting is a lot more labor and skill intensive but done properly the results are amazing - you can't even tell the film is there.

3. Benjamin is the meticulous, Jedi Master type of person you want for this job. He'll come to your house and cares more about doing things right than making a quick buck. I was floored to see him break out bottled water to wet my car - he didn't want mineral contamination from tap water! It's been a while since I looked, but I didn't see a single review on Yelp that wasn't five stars.

Here's some video of him in action:

Reactions: hiroshiy
S owner here. For those of you in the LA area, I had my car fully wrapped in Xpel by Benjamin at Bemaro Specialty Films. I can't say enough about what an amazing job he did and how happy I am with his work. I've raved several times in the forums about him. Here's a summary:

1. The wrap has saved me from dings and scratches more times than I can count now. It will run about $4K, but it's worth every penny. If you're clumsy like me, I suggest getting a full wrap - I've scraped the underside of my door on the curb and the lift gate on the roof several times already. And rocks and debris are going to hurt that soft paint.

2. There are plenty of places to cut corners. For example, a lot of shops use precut patterns, and I was told they could not cover the entire S rear lift gate with one piece. I would be left with an unsightly seam that would build up dirt. Hand cutting is a lot more labor and skill intensive but done properly the results are amazing - you can't even tell the film is there.

3. Benjamin is the meticulous, Jedi Master type of person you want for this job. He'll come to your house and cares more about doing things right than making a quick buck. I was floored to see him break out bottled water to wet my car - he didn't want mineral contamination from tap water! It's been a while since I looked, but I didn't see a single review on Yelp that wasn't five stars.

Here's some video of him in action:

Bemaro's comment on YouTube says they start at $5K. You had a full wrap for $4K?

And not to be that guy, because it looked like he did a quality job, but are there several shots of smudges on the paint starting at 4:30?

For Miami/South Florida:

1)
SELF HEALING PAINT PROTECTION PACKAGES
CUSTOM FULL COVERAGE
Starting @ $4,000

For a FULL protection of your vehicle
All painted areas are protected with precut kits when available
or custom installation
MIAMI CAR WRAPS | VEHICLE WRAPS MIAMI | 3M MATTE CAR WRAPPING

or

2)
04.jpg

Custom Wrap Design Miami

I know nothing about them other than I found them on google earlier today.

Bemaro's comment on YouTube says they start at $5K. You had a full wrap for $4K?

And not to be that guy, because it looked like he did a quality job, but are there several shots of smudges on the paint starting at 4:30?

I got my wrap in 2015 and it's entirely possible prices have gone up since then. Or perhaps I'm just a great negotiator. ;)

As for the smudges, are you sure they aren't reflections? You can see the same areas starting at 4:08 and 4:19 and they look fine. I'm guessing what you see at 4:30 is pan-and-scan of still photos. The reflections aren't moving with the pan and scan, so it may be confusing… Go to full screen, HD, and I think you'll see my point.

At any rate, I can tell you for sure that Benjamin was very careful and meticulous when working on my brand-new S. He took the time to point out several imperfections in the paint job before starting work. I didn't know about them before and wouldn't be able to find them today to save my life. My feeling is that he would sooner eat the Xpel wrap than leave any sort of smudge… Bottom line is, I was thrilled with his work and I hope my experience is of value to other Tesla owners out there. It's not often you meet a young man like him in this day and age.

I got my wrap in 2015 and it's entirely possible prices have gone up since then. Or perhaps I'm just a great negotiator. ;)

As for the smudges, are you sure they aren't reflections? You can see the same areas starting at 4:08 and 4:19 and they look fine. I'm guessing what you see at 4:30 is pan-and-scan of still photos. The reflections aren't moving with the pan and scan, so it may be confusing… Go to full screen, HD, and I think you'll see my point.

At any rate, I can tell you for sure that Benjamin was very careful and meticulous when working on my brand-new S. He took the time to point out several imperfections in the paint job before starting work. I didn't know about them before and wouldn't be able to find them today to save my life. My feeling is that he would sooner eat the Xpel wrap than leave any sort of smudge… Bottom line is, I was thrilled with his work and I hope my experience is of value to other Tesla owners out there. It's not often you meet a young man like him in this day and age.

No. I'm not sure they're reflections but I think they're smudges. I'd personally have a smudge than have a paint scratch or chip. But as I said, I couldn't help but notice it in the video.

We just had our X wrapped by Kyle Franko in Mesa, AZ. Kyle has some posts here on the forum.
He took VERY good care of our car.

He first throroughly washed the car after which he spent more than a day on paint correction to get all the little scratches and swirl marks out of the paint. This was followed by wrapping the entire car in XPEL Ultimate. He also covered the back of the four seats (we have the 6 seat version) and even covered the back of the headrests of the third row. At the same time, we had the front door windows and the falcon wing door top windows tinted in 3m Crystaline.
His attention to detail and pride in his work shows. The effect is stunning.

He had the car for 5 days but gave us updates to let us know what was going on. There was a second Model X being wrapped at the same time.

I would highly recommend Kyle's work to anyone. One quick picture for now.
PenultimateFullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: Magus and madodel
I took delivery of my Model X in June and just had it wrapped in a 3M titanium matte. I had the door jams wrapped as well (because the factory paint would have been noticeable in the jams). I also had most of the chrome blacked out with a gloss black. The total cost was $4,500 with Graphic Guys of Austin Texas. Although I am having a couple sensor issues, the end result is fantastic. So far, it appears that there is a tight tolerance with the rear spoiler that might abrade the wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6618.JPG
    IMG_6618.JPG
    925.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6620.JPG
    IMG_6620.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 142
did you find detailer in chicago area you were happy with?

I'm also curious of y'all's Chicagoland detailer experiences. Chicago Auto Pros seem to know their *sugar*, but both of their locations are ~forty-five minutes from downtown, without traffic … I'm thinking that that's way too far to be driving once or twice a month; but I want somewhere who'll actually pay attention to my car. I've had nothing but bad experiences with detailers in the past. -_-

Side-note: I love how one of the photos on Chicago Auto Pros' website is the interior of an X they cleaned. I jumped a bit when I noticed. :p

For those that have installed a full frontal wrap of your X, have you regretted not including the doors?

And for everyone that installed a wrap, where have you seen the most damage occur to your car? Debating coverage of entire vehicle v. Full front. Include trunk lid, or at least the lip? Rear quarter panel would seem like a good spot for rocks to hit?

I have three kids under age 10 so I am rightly concerned about the seatbacks getting scratched however I was thinking of a much less expensive solution like one of those organizer things that attach to the back of the front seats, lol.