Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How cool would it look to mirror wrap an X?...
Reminds me of a vintage Airstream in regard to reflective brightness. Vintage Airstream Trailer Pictures, from OldTrailer.com

1967-airstream-caravel903.jpg

How cool would it look to mirror wrap an X???

Wide Body Corvette Vinyl "Wrapped" in HEXIS True MIRROR Chrome Vinyl - Walkaround - YouTube

photo.jpg

Wide Body Corvette Vinyl "Wrapped" in HEXIS True MIRROR Chrome Vinyl - Walkaround Please enter a valid email address in the Email Addresses field ...

I seriously considered something like this (chrome / gold), before deciding it was a bit Too Much even for me. I'm currently hoping to get a matte-pink finish, assuming I can deal with my sensor concerns

Check out Detail | Window Tint | XPEL | Opti-Coat | Modesta | Cquartz

They have a location in Glenview and one in Glen Ellyn. I haven't wrapped my X but I've had it hand-washed at the Glen Ellyn shop and they did a nice job.

I've spoken to Chicago Auto Pros and am planning to have them wrap my X at the Glenview location (i don't take delivery for a few more weeks).

Someone (S forum maybe?) posted a positive experience with them.

Anyone in the Chicago area know of a good place to wrap my X?

Check out Detail | Window Tint | XPEL | Opti-Coat | Modesta | Cquartz

They have a location in Glenview and one in Glen Ellyn. I haven't wrapped my X but I've had it hand-washed at the Glen Ellyn shop and they did a nice job.

I've spoken to Chicago Auto Pros and am planning to have them wrap my X at the Glenview location (i don't take delivery for a few more weeks).

Someone (S forum maybe?) posted a positive experience with them.

Man, we gotta have a Chicagoland Tesla meetup. :D

We elected to go with the complete hood, front area, mirrors and A-pillars. He also put a door edge on the front doors and the sill for the rear trunk. We used SunTek instead of Xpel because of the cost savings and the quality is very similar. Xpel has a longer warranty, but I'll probably have the film replaced before the warranty is up anyway due to nicks and such. He also put film over the "X" thresholds in all four doors. We're still debating if we're going to cover the seat backs.

Ours was installed by B&L Auto Decor in Roseville, CA. This is the second car he's done for us and we couldn't be happier.

I stopped by a SunTek dealer yesterday and was happy with the pricing. I can get full hood, front bumper, fender, mirrors, headlights with ClearShield Pro and the sides, back and roof glass with PhotoSync film for about $2000. I showed them the seat backs for the Model X and they quoted me $50/seat to so those in a matte finish ClearShield Pro film. They also said they would need the car for 1 whole day and overnight. Then check everything the following morning and I could pick it up then.
I have a few followup questions such as wrapped edges and having a few other areas covered with PPF. They weren't sure if they could put a head blocking film on the windshield because it's so big but they would see once they got the vehicle.

i've seen lots of opinions (myself included) that full wrapping the car is a waste and generally you only need front bumper, hood, and fenders. however i've also read that lots of owners are scared of the auto opening doors hitting something because of the lack of sensors in the front doors. would a full wrap help in those cases, or does the swing open hard enough where if it hits a concrete pole it's going to go through the film anyway?

Some things to think about when considering whether to full wrap your Model X:

1. All Model X doors include auto-opening functions that can be automatically triggers. Although the vehicle does a very good job of sensing nearby obstacles and restricting door movement, the technology is not perfect. The vehicle does sense an object upon collision which helps reduce the force of impact when something goes wrong. This suggests a sacrificial wrap could protect the original paint job in many such instances, especially in "glancing" collisions with significant sideways motion. Wrapping the doors also protects from inadvertent dings caused by other vehicles' traditional doors in crowded parking lot situations.

2. The Model X falcon wing doors -- although super cool and very functional -- move through an arc in space that is unfamiliar to most owners when they first receive their vehicle. Wrapping the FWD has the benefit of both protecting the doors from low rock chips that kick up during freeway driving as well as potential overhead obstructions when opening the FWD in low ceiling garages.

3. Wrapping a vehicle with a quality wrap makes cleaning it significantly easier. It also protects the original paint job from bird droppings and other environmental "deposits" that WILL damage the clearcoat and original paint if not removed very promptly. Model X is both a wide and tall vehicle and the top of the vehicle includes painted surfaces that are not easily monitored or accessed without some effort. Wrapping the top of the vehicle helps protect these parts especially from long term paint damage due to environmental deposits. Of course, the top of the vehicle is also the part of the vehicle that you may be least concerned about....

4. Like many other SUVs, the Model X back hatch auto opens. Although the opening height can be adjusted, many owners still encounter situations where the back hatch opens too far after they pull into a residential garage where the garage door further reduces the ceiling height. In addition, the Model X spoiler does not automatically retract when the vehicle is in park (at least it does not do so as of the current software update available) which places the spoiler in particular at risk of hitting an open garage door when the back hatch is opened.

In my experience, with two previous SUVs, the front bumper, hood, and rear hatch were the areas most prone to receiving damage and wrapping these areas is a no-brainer if you want to protect your vehicle for the long term. Because SUVs ride relatively high, I noticed less damage on the sides of vehicle due to rocks and debris kicked up during driving, but the doors were still prone to being damaged by less than careful passengers and drivers in adjacently parked vehicles.

Wrapping the doors also protects from inadvertent dings caused by other vehicles' traditional doors in crowded parking lot situations.
I agree that wrapping the doors does provide some level of protection (chips and scrapes). But a real door ding that includes indentation (which many do) is not going to be prevented by wrapping. But if the indentation is not significant enough to cause the paint to crack, it may be able to be spooned out, perhaps without even to have to remove the wrap.

for those that got a full wrap right after taking delivery - did you all have any issues with body alignments or seals or doors not working or anything like that where you had to bring back into the service center to get fixed? when they're doing those fixes, does it disturb any of the wraps? i'm trying to decide if i should wrap right away or wait until the SC has the car in perfect condition before wrapping.

• Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D