Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED THAT THEY GOT A WRAP....Please post the price you paid for your particular wrap/coat. All of us who have not received their MX, or who have received, but not wrapped are looking into the wide variation of pricing. Most of us (OP included) could not easily accept $5,000-8,000 add-on to "protect" a car. I know supply/demand and coastal price vs. big city vs. other city pricing will vary widely, but we all just want to know roughly what you paid. We all know that we all are paying north of $100,000 for our cars, so not divulging wrap price is pretty silly, IMHO. I want to know what people in Denver are paying, and I'm sure others want to know rough fees for their city to. Competition is everything, but knowing you aren't getting taken for a bath is another. Let's share.....pretty please.

@danbucks I see you have a white MX, and wrap. I have my pearl white MX on order, 5 seat. I have seen some cars here at Denver SC including a plain vanilla white car with a really crappy wrap. The edges in the front never sealed over edges like headlights. With winter over here, all non-folded edges look like tammy faye baker with too much mascara. All edges are dirty under the edge of film while rest of the white car looks great. Those unanticipated accents on edges of film looks horrible. Have you seen any dirty creeping around/under/behind any of your edges of film in CA? Thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
@danbucks I see you have a white MX, and wrap. I have my pearl white MX on order, 5 seat. I have seen some cars here at Denver SC including a plain vanilla white car with a really crappy wrap. The edges in the front never sealed over edges like headlights. With winter over here, all non-folded edges look like tammy faye baker with too much mascara. All edges are dirty under the edge of film while rest of the white car looks great. Those unanticipated accents on edges of film looks horrible. Have you seen any dirty creeping around/under/behind any of your edges of film in CA? Thanks

This is something I'm going to evaluate very carefully. The test drive X at the SLC store is a used sig that has a partial wrap (at the least the headlights, partial seat backs, and FWD door sills), and the work on it looks pretty terrible (borders very visible and already showing dust collecting the edge; seat backs only covering about 60% of the actual seat backs).

I've looked at one detailer in my area, and his work looks superb (wrapping all the way around the edges), but his prices are north of $8k for _just_ exterior wrap, no ceramic coating or interior work. I'm leaning towards another one in the area that has gotten good reviews, and is in the neighborhood of $6k for complete exterior wrap plus ceramic coating plus seat backs and FWD door sills. Just waiting to actually inspect his work on an X before I confirm.

First time poster, long time lurker. I am picking up my P90D Thursday, 5/26. Because I am completely confused by the products and value associated with wraps, etc, I am forcing my husband (who now, out of jealousy, has an S on order) to do the research. @jsollender I will post a local shop if/when we find one we like!

full
Mike @appearancesolutions in Sacramento has various packages and he wraps around so you shouldn't have the problem of dirt showing on the edges after some time.
The package we took had entire front including headlights and mirrors, all doors except rear hatch, rear bumper and seat backs..and Opticoat all over...about $3500.

full
Mike @appearancesolutions in Sacramento has various packages and he wraps around so you shouldn't have the problem of dirt showing on the edges after some time.
The package we took had entire front including headlights and mirrors, all doors except rear hatch, rear bumper and seat backs..and Opticoat all over...about $3500.
This sounds perfect and reasonable, and what I will be looking for, but I wonder what is not protected? Not much from the sounds of it, knowing how much glass we have on the roof.

He did the same for me but I skipped the doors except for the small bit at the bottom. About $2650.

• Funny
Reactions: Näky
@jason1466 - we didn't wrap the rear hatch and rear lights. Though Mike wrapped the spoiler. And you are correct, everything else being glass, it's like almost all wrapped.

@aesculus - I added the doors as they are all motorized and will someday hit something. Also, on all of Lexus SUVs, the doors picked up dings from other people banging into them. Even if you park far away, people have a tendency to park next to an expensive car for some reason :mad: the wrap should prevent those dings from making through and it is supposed to self-heal.

Last edited:
Pricing will all vary depending on your location, product choice, type of installation and installer. With clear bra there is no easy metric to base pricing on as each installation is different. Even the same template, with the same type of film can vary between installer to installer. Always do you homework and see the shops work IN PERSON, not just photos before making a decision. Take a look at how the corners/edges are wrapped, how much of the surfaces are covered/left exposed, what type of film they use/recommend and also look at reviews and talk to other owners whom have had work performed. The cost to completely wrap a vehicle may not be worth it for some, but I have never had a client tell me the wish they would have done LESS protection, its almost always the other way around.

The Model X is unique in that it greatly benefits from wrapping the entire vehicle due to it's shape/size and "agility" ie. falcon doors, auto doors etc.

Find an installer whom has had experience with the MX and whom is able to consistently and repeatedly produce high quality and lasting results. Not just someone who is going to offer the lowest price and slap film on the car, those results won't last or give your vehicle the protection it really deserves.

I am in NE Pennsylvania. Closest spot to me for the wrapping that I had recommendations for was in Allentown, Rock Guard Film. He only uses EXPEL Ultimate and has worked on a couple Teslas before whose drivers highly recommended him. Cost to wrap the entire car (Full Front, Bumpers, Fenders, Mirrors, All Doors, Trunk, Spoiler and the A/B Pillars and roof) as well as repair one wheel that was kerbed was $4,717. That price doesn't include the paint correction, interior detailing and the CQuartz ceramic coating which was done by Pristine Detailing which was an additional $1,611. I haven't seen the car yet as I just got back from a trip yesterday and have scheduled to pick up my X on Saturday. I will post photos when I get the car back but they both tell me the car looks amazing. In my extremely biased opinion it looked pretty damn good before hand so we shall see.

EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED THAT THEY GOT A WRAP....Please post the price you paid for your particular wrap/coat. All of us who have not received their MX, or who have received, but not wrapped are looking into the wide variation of pricing. Most of us (OP included) could not easily accept $5,000-8,000 add-on to "protect" a car. I know supply/demand and coastal price vs. big city vs. other city pricing will vary widely, but we all just want to know roughly what you paid. We all know that we all are paying north of $100,000 for our cars, so not divulging wrap price is pretty silly, IMHO. I want to know what people in Denver are paying, and I'm sure others want to know rough fees for their city to. Competition is everything, but knowing you aren't getting taken for a bath is another. Let's share.....pretty please.

I paid $1500 for XPEL on the entire front including mirrors (not the front pillars next to windshield). This was in Dallas area, but a licensed installer for Suntek, XPEL and a couple of others. clearbranorthdallas.com the website calls it the "ultimate" package

@aesculus - I added the doors as they are all motorized and will someday hit something. Also, on all of Lexus SUVs, the doors picked up dings from other people banging into them. Even if you park far away, people have a tendency to park next to an expensive car for some reason :mad: the wrap should prevent those dings from making through and it is supposed to self-heal.
My front bumper wrap has to be replaced do to a flaw in the material. I may let him talk me into the doors too.:)

I am getting quotes in the 7500 and up range here in Phoenix for a full wrap, no coating. Might have to make a road trip to get it wrapped elsewhere...(taking a risk driving there I know)

Anyone in NM near the AZ border ?

Check at the XPel site..they also have a list of certified installers by your zip code and then call them. Before I decided on mine I talked to three and two of them had never touched an X though they said they had wrapped S. I went with the guy who had done multiple Xs and he had pictures to show and couple of Xs in the shop. When I went to pick up mine after he was done, he had more Xs in his shop than the SC.

Here's the XPel site:
http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection-kits/Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2016/Tesla/Model_X/

I am in NE Pennsylvania. Closest spot to me for the wrapping that I had recommendations for was in Allentown, Rock Guard Film. He only uses EXPEL Ultimate and has worked on a couple Teslas before whose drivers highly recommended him. Cost to wrap the entire car (Full Front, Bumpers, Fenders, Mirrors, All Doors, Trunk, Spoiler and the A/B Pillars and roof) as well as repair one wheel that was kerbed was $4,717. That price doesn't include the paint correction, interior detailing and the CQuartz ceramic coating which was done by Pristine Detailing which was an additional $1,611. I haven't seen the car yet as I just got back from a trip yesterday and have scheduled to pick up my X on Saturday. I will post photos when I get the car back but they both tell me the car looks amazing. In my extremely biased opinion it looked pretty damn good before hand so we shall see.

Looks like you didn't get the wrap right after delivery....do you recommend waiting for some reason?

Looks like you didn't get the wrap right after delivery....do you recommend waiting for some reason?
Actually I wanted to do it shortly after I got my X but between my schedule and theirs it ended up being out a couple of months and since I was going away for a week in May I figured I'd have it done then. They warned me that the longer I drove it the more chance for road damage. I lucked out and didn't have any real chips, just a few light scratches which were fixed during the paint correction. So if you can get it done as soon as you can after delivery, but real life happens.

XPEL Stealth on the seat backs, headrests, and both sets of "X" inlays stepping into the car. Looks amazing and now the kids can do what they do to cars... NW Auto Salon in Lynnwood, Washington did incredible work, very happy with the results! It's wrapped just to the last half mm on the edges which also gives it a great 'piping' look.

That looks AWESOME...I plan to do that both inside and outside with my Midnight Silver....