Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's good as ever to buy the maintenance and warranty plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a debate w.r.t to the maintenance plan, but the extended warranty is undoubtedly worth it. Got my plans today :)
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 4.49.25 PM.png

The overall saving on the maintenance plan doesn't seem worth it to me (at least not in the UK). I suppose it protects against any future service price hikes, but I can't see that happening when there is more competition in the EV market. Everyone raises an eyebrow when they see that Tesla servicing costs are as high or even higher than equivalent ICE vehicles. If anything I would expect servicing costs to come down as the company continues to grow. At the moment I can't help thinking that servicing costs are high to cover all the recent investment in the service centre infrastructure, which is fair enough when you think about it.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
In theory, yes.
In practice, and especially with Tesla QC, no.
Tesla has had a few widely publicized issues with some of its new cars. (12v battery, drive train noise, door handles, MX doors).
These have all been fixed under warranty and production changes made so you just don't hear about them any more.
Model 3 has been good in that the biggest problems seem to be rushed/confusing delivery and a few people are outraged about panel gaps and "paint".
I really think that the long term reliability of these cars will be good so I'd only purchase a long term warranty if you felt the peace of mind was important. For most people, it will be expensive peace of mind. ICE cars have thousands more moving parts in the engine, emission control and fuel systems, transmission and these regularly break down and wear out leading to high maintenance costs beyond 100,000 miles and to the point where after 150,000 to 200,000 miles they need to be junked. Teslas just have an electric motor (on moving part, two bearings) and a few gears. In industrial use these things last decades with high duty cycles. I think we can expect the car to easily last 500,000 to a million miles with very few repairs.
Also, Teslas don't require routine maintenance. No oil change, tune ups, transmission fluid, cooling system antifreeze, etc. like ICE cars.

A yearly maintenance is recommended by Tesla, but I wouldn't prepay it. On a Model X, I'd be tempted to buy the extended warranty. I doubt that the Model X will prove as reliable as the Model S. Time will tell.

If I keep my X beyond the initial warranty, I'll most definitely be purchasing the extended warranty. The one thing I don't trust for the long haul in the X are the FWDs, and their associated seals.

Tesla has had a few widely publicized issues with some of its new cars. (12v battery, drive train noise, door handles, MX doors).
These have all been fixed under warranty and production changes made so you just don't hear about them any more.
Model 3 has been good in that the biggest problems seem to be rushed/confusing delivery and a few people are outraged about panel gaps and "paint".
I really think that the long term reliability of these cars will be good so I'd only purchase a long term warranty if you felt the peace of mind was important. For most people, it will be expensive peace of mind. ICE cars have thousands more moving parts in the engine, emission control and fuel systems, transmission and these regularly break down and wear out leading to high maintenance costs beyond 100,000 miles and to the point where after 150,000 to 200,000 miles they need to be junked. Teslas just have an electric motor (on moving part, two bearings) and a few gears. In industrial use these things last decades with high duty cycles. I think we can expect the car to easily last 500,000 to a million miles with very few repairs.
Also, Teslas don't require routine maintenance. No oil change, tune ups, transmission fluid, cooling system antifreeze, etc. like ICE cars.

Wow! I certainly hope so, but doubt it can happen. A lot of things can wear out.