Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Told to replace computer after update failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope everyone is doing great during this difficult time. Just want to follow up on this thread: Touchscreen blacked out after update

So my touchscreen totally blacked out after updating software, and I wait for a whole week for the mobile service guy to come. The appointment was 2.30 pm - 4.30 pm, he said he was a bit behind the process, and he arrived at around 6.30 pm today, which is fine by me. Then because of the social distancing stuff, I left him alone to fix the issue. After about 5 mins, he called and said: "dude, I'm not able to fix it, and I have to leave because my working time's up, and the only way to fix it is to replace the computer, or at least the monitor". He also said he'll come back later, which is at least a week out. God, I even left him several masks for appreciating their work during this hard time, smh.

Okay, so I have to say this is soooo freaking insane, I mean, I literally followed all the steps it told me to install the update, and then the computer was broken, wtf? My $2000 MacBook even did a way better job than it. This is so vulnerable. And that guy just checked it less than 5 mins, I suspect whether he did even carefully looked into it, I'm not totally convinced.

But complaints aside, I need some advice and thoughts on:

1. How to verify that changing the computer is the only way to fix it, I mean, I don't want them to make easy money from this(If I need to pay).
2. As above, do I need to pay? Does the warranty cover this? I got this new car in late Feb, not sure if my warranty would cover this.
3. Have anyone's car computer been replaced before, how long does the process take? How to verify that they won't give a used computer or downgraded-firmware computer.

Thanks for reading through this, and any thoughts would be appreciated!

I hope everyone is doing great during this difficult time. Just want to follow up on this thread: Touchscreen blacked out after update

So my touchscreen totally blacked out after updating software, and I wait for a whole week for the mobile service guy to come. The appointment was 2.30 pm - 4.30 pm, he said he was a bit behind the process, and he arrived at around 6.30 pm today, which is fine by me. Then because of the social distancing stuff, I left him alone to fix the issue. After about 5 mins, he called and said: "dude, I'm not able to fix it, and I have to leave because my working time's up, and the only way to fix it is to replace the computer, or at least the monitor". He also said he'll come back later, which is at least a week out. God, I even left him several masks for appreciating their work during this hard time, smh.

Okay, so I have to say this is soooo freaking insane, I mean, I literally followed all the steps it told me to install the update, and then the computer was broken, wtf? My $2000 MacBook even did a way better job than it. This is so vulnerable. And that guy just checked it less than 5 mins, I suspect whether he did even carefully looked into it, I'm not totally convinced.

But complaints aside, I need some advice and thoughts on:

1. How to verify that changing the computer is the only way to fix it, I mean, I don't want them to make easy money from this(If I need to pay).
2. As above, do I need to pay? Does the warranty cover this? I got this new car in late Feb, not sure if my warranty would cover this.
3. Have anyone's car computer been replaced before, how long does the process take? How to verify that they won't give a used computer or downgraded-firmware computer.

Thanks for reading through this, and any thoughts would be appreciated!
Unless you took a hammer to your screen and pulverized it into tiny little pieces, why wouldn’t it be covered under warranty? Not sure how long it would take for repair but there’s a possibility that the FW may not be the most current. But, you’d just wait for the update. Not sure if the part would be brand new or refurbished? Either way, it’d still be covered for the remainder of the warranty.

This sound like something that would be totally covered via the warranty. I would not worry about getting a bill. Fortunately, with many now working from home and/or staying home as much as possible, this is a good time to be without a car and just wait the week for your issues to be repaired. I just had a friend that received the HW 2.5 to HW 3.0 update and the process took several hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl