Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too many Tesla's/EVs in household - would you get a BMW 530e instead of another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just meant the Tesla was still expensive from a financial perspective. The economical way would be to get a Bolt lease for under $300 a month or a BMW i3 type deal I had at $160 a month. At that $160 rate I could lease over and over again for nearly 10 terms (25+years) before getting to the price I would pay for another Model 3. It would still be 0 emissions and if longer range/trip was needed could swap car with another longer range car in the home or even rent one. Got the EVs for HOV access/low emissions and the Teslas came after for the fun factor and as luxury purchases.

For those that don't have a current Tesla but try to justify buying one strictly on thinking they are saving money I would still be hard pressed to say that honestly. Would never recommend anyone to ever stretch wallet to buy a car as it will depreciate quickly. Tesla's are amazing and are the future and would buy another for myself in a heartbeat, but I wouldnt feel right saying it's the everyman's car at this point in time

Too bad you did not buy Fiat 500e when it was under $100 in California. Would be great for your wife is her commute was/is under 80 miles.
Fiat 500e Leases Get Down To $69/mo, Or $169/mo With $0 Down | CleanTechnica

you are in this forum which is naturally biased towards Tesla. To me Hybrids are too complex, they have both ICE and battery. Plug in hybrids are also complex but offer some electric range such as Honda Clarity, Volt and Kona.

Having owned 4 BMWs over the years and currently the owner of a Model 3 and Model X...no, I would never purchase a BMW 5-Series instead of a Tesla. Maybe I will change my mind if BMW gets a charger network that allows me to drive my car from SF to LA in less than 12 hours without using gasoline.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I'd get a fully loaded volt over the 530e myself. Very low maintenance for a gas burner and over double the ev range.
The Volt is a great commuter car, but if I was buying an ICE car on top of existing EVs I'd also want to be able to use it as a road trip vehicle, which the Volt isn't great at because of the cramped interior, small cargo space and somewhat underpowered engine. It's really not comparable to the significantly larger and more luxurious beamer (which is also quite a bit peppier at around 6s 0-60, assuming it's similar to the 330e which I have test driven). I wish Chevy came out with a larger vehicle (sedan or crossover) with the Volt drive train though; that could potentially be an ideal PHEV.

You are not crazy. The new 5 series looks great inside and out. You will be happy with the fit and finish. As long as it fits your needs, I don’t see why not. You mentioned the main reason you got EVs was for the hov access.

I am all for diversity, trying out different cars at different point in times. With that said, we are switching out our F10 535i for a P3D ;)

I convinced my parents to buy a 530e (they've consistently owned 5-series sedans for decades) as a step toward EVs. It's a great car and with all the incentives I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a 530i. Drivers assistance systems I think are fairly limited on the BMW, but it's super comfortable, quiet, and smooth. It's cushier than a Tesla and the interior is "nicer." It's one of the best deals out there for that type of car. I personally lease a 330e (super cheap lease for that car) and just got a P3D. The 5-series feels way more luxurious than either car, but is much less fun to drive.

I don't know when it's coming out, but you might consider the 2019 MB C350e. The 2019 model is a major refresh and I believe it's inheriting the driver assistance systems from the E/S-Class, which are probably second best behind Autopilot. The 2018 is a cheap lease and qualifies for the stickers as well, but has primitive driver assistance features and an infotainment system that looks like it belongs on an early 2000s portable DVD player.

The Volt is a great commuter car, but if I was buying an ICE car on top of existing EVs I'd also want to be able to use it as a road trip vehicle, which the Volt isn't great at because of the cramped interior, small cargo space and somewhat underpowered engine. It's really not comparable to the significantly larger and more luxurious beamer (which is also quite a bit peppier at around 6s 0-60, assuming it's similar to the 330e which I have test driven). I wish Chevy came out with a larger vehicle (sedan or crossover) with the Volt drive train though; that could potentially be an ideal PHEV.
I guess yea, I used to road trip in my focus, damn my back hurt... With the volt I find the space very accommodating for a car it's size, and MUCH more comfortable, and more room for 2 adults in the back (Gen 1) due to the more comfortable seats and better legroom than the focus. But yea, SUV would of course be even better for road trips for sure. Honestly if it's a road tripper only I would just get a straight ICE SUV as there's WAY more options. TACC would be a nice feature to have for a road tripper :)

But, for a 5th vehicle I think the OP should buy a truck. Trucks hold their value and there is not currently any EV truck options. You can pull and haul allot more things if you own a truck and the interiors are just as nice as SUVs. If I had 4 EV's or even 2 my other ICE would / will be a truck!

...] But, for a 5th vehicle I think the OP should buy a truck. Trucks hold their value and there is not currently any EV truck options. You can pull and haul allot more things if you own a truck and the interiors are just as nice as SUVs. If I had 4 EV's or even 2 my other ICE would / will be a truck!
As a Swede -- reading stuff like this in Q3 of 2018 just blows your mind... In Sweden everyone just has a trailer hitch(!) No one would ever even think of buying a truck (ok... almost no one...).

Reactions: dhrivnak
Oh ouch. Tail pipe emissions. Weird. I thought the “30” engine (what use to signify 3.0 liter, now means nothing) is the same in the 3 and 5 series. So it didn’t make sense that the 530e qualifies but not the 330e.
I think it doesn't necessarily mean that the 330e has worse emissions. It's just that BMW hasn't done the certification for whatever reason. Perhaps they don't think it's worth the effort since the next generation of the 3 series is about to enter the market.

If you can get a killer deal.. (20 percent off MSRP) and you can lease... then I’d consider the 530 if you really like it. That would make a monthly payment of less than $400 i assume (assuming all the security deposit are used etc)... which is let’s face it a lot lower than the model 3..

As a Swede -- reading stuff like this in Q3 of 2018 just blows your mind... In Sweden everyone just has a trailer hitch(!) No one would ever even think of buying a truck (ok... almost no one...).
Interesting perspective :) I have used my truck to haul loads of bricks, transport yard waste, move furniture, and have a flatbed trailer I tow a SxS on as well as a 28 foot toy-hauler. No way a car can tow / haul these things properly. In fact I'm selling my truck right now to help fund my tesla because it's only a V8 titan and I keep borrowing a turbo diesel 3500 to pull the loaded toy-hauler and need a bigger truck anyways.

Even if cars have the power to move such things it is unsafe and extremely hard on them to do so for many other reasons.

Buy a new flat screen TV? Get the truck, buying landscaping things? Get the truck. Hauling firewood, get the truck. I can't imagine what it's like living over-there Swedish, I hope to visit one day!

.../ SxS [...
Don’t have a clue what this is…
.../ a 28 foot toy-hauler. [...
Again... Don’t have a clue what this is…
.../ :) /.../ loads of bricks, /.../ yard waste, /.../ furniture, [...] flat screen TV /.../ landscaping things /.../ firewood/...
All these things can safely be hauled by a Model X with a trailer hitch (or a Model S or 3 with a trailer hitch if only Tesla would allow it…). And if it can’t, then there are other ways to transport something from A to B...
.../ In fact I'm selling my truck right now to help fund my tesla because it's only a V8 titan and I keep borrowing a turbo diesel 3500 to pull the loaded toy-hauler and need a bigger truck anyways. /...
Is it environmentally sustainable that everyone has their own 'little private one-man hauling company' with a turbo diesel 3500 or some such to occasionally pile on as much as they possibly can?

Atmospherical C02 is at 410 PPM! Everything above 350 PPM is going to cause sea-level rise that ultimately is going to put large parts of Florida under water — as well as every other coastal neighborhood/city at similar altitude (And if you're wondering -- we blew past 350 PPM in 1988!...)

To get atmospherical CO2 to begin to decline, global emissions will have to be cut by some 85% from todays levels!...

How is that compatible with everyone owning their own turbo diesel 3500?!...

Don’t have a clue what this is…
Again... Don’t have a clue what this is…
All these things can safely be hauled by a Model X with a trailer hitch (or a Model S or 3 with a trailer hitch if only Tesla would allow it…). And if it can’t, then there are other ways to transport something from A to B...
Is it environmentally sustainable that everyone has their own 'little private one-man hauling company' with a turbo diesel 3500 or some such to occasionally pile on as much as they possibly can?

Atmospherical C02 is at 410 PPM! Everything above 350 PPM is going to cause sea-level rise that ultimately is going to put large parts of Florida under water — as well as every other coastal neighborhood/city at similar altitude (And if you're wondering -- we blew past 350 PPM in 1988!...)

To get atmospherical CO2 to begin to decline, global emissions will have to be cut by some 85% from todays levels!...

How is that compatible with everyone owning their own turbo diesel 3500?!...

This truck is too small for my needs so I am selling it. Yep small 5.6L V8! :
titan by glamisduner, on Flickr

SxS
Easter weekend 2017 by glamisduner, on Flickr

Toy Hauler (SxS) goes inside it. Allong with 100 gallons water and lots of gas, tools etc.
2015-09-15_01-17-54 by glamisduner, on Flickr

There is no way you will ever catch me hauling 800lbs of bricks with a car; inside or on a trailer. Or 10 foot long 4x4's etc. Do they even make a brake controller for a tesla? I'm thinking they do not. Heck there's many laws against towing unsafely.

Most homeowners should own a truck. They may not drive it daily but having to rent one every time you need to haul something is also not cost effective. Makes more sense than having 4 or 5 cars at least.

Car need a long distance tow? no problem, just rent a car hauler and pull it with the truck.

It will be a long time before Towing with an electric vehicle becomes practical for non commercial uses. I can even imagine trying to figure out how to park that trailer at a supercharger :p

Last edited:
Have somewhat of a rare dilemma right now. Have had EVs at home for a while since 2011 but numbers have been growing and currently have 4 EVs at home (Model X, Model 3, 2 BMW i3). Have 5 drivers, 4 EVs and 1 ICE BMW 435i. The Teslas are bought, while the i3s are leases with one of the i3s getting near the return period. Have 3 40A charging stations at home and it gets annoying making sure each of them has enough charge and there has been instances the i3s didnt get enough charge. Was planning on getting another Model 3 to replace the i3 and make use of the full tax incentive, however I have had some interest looking at the BMW 530e. Its a plug in hybrid and gets the HOV sticker which is main reason for all our EVs. The BMW has a similar MSRP to the Model 3, however there are much better incentives and dealer discounts being offered. I can lease a BMW 530e for $460 a month, or purchase for about $40-45k+taxes. The Tesla is over $60k w/ EAP but gets federal credit back. Getting the BMW would mean if we forget to charge it will still run in hybrid mode and financially it will be cheaper then the Model 3. Only issue I have is whether BMW driver assistance can compare to EAP. Have started to feel having too many EVs in a home also has its challenges. Am I crazy for thinking about a 530e? BTW I do love the Model 3 and X but I love my BMW 4 series too.
I just looked at the 530e and the MSRP is $53,400 or $3,400 more than I paid for my Model 3. For that extra $3,400, I get a car that is 20% slower, has a smaller trunk, no frunk, AND it burns gas, and I have to do oil changes! I for one would pass, and I likely will pass several of them with my model 3.

Last edited:
This truck is too small for my needs so I am selling it. Yep small 5.6L V8! :
titan by glamisduner, on Flickr

SxS
Easter weekend 2017 by glamisduner, on Flickr

Toy Hauler (SxS) goes inside it. Allong with 100 gallons water and lots of gas, tools etc.
2015-09-15_01-17-54 by glamisduner, on Flickr

There is no way you will ever catch me hauling 800lbs of bricks with a car; inside or on a trailer. Or 10 foot long 4x4's etc. Do they even make a brake controller for a tesla? I'm thinking they do not. Heck there's many laws against towing unsafely.

Most homeowners should own a truck. They may not drive it daily but having to rent one every time you need to haul something is also not cost effective. Makes more sense than having 4 or 5 cars at least.

Car need a long distance tow? no problem, just rent a car hauler and pull it with the truck.

It will be a long time before Towing with an electric vehicle becomes practical for non commercial uses. I can even imagine trying to figure out how to park that trailer at a supercharger :p
Oh yee of little imagination. The Model 3 does tow well and I even installed a brake controller. I tow a 2000 lb A-Liner with the Model 3.
Dale_Paul_Grayson_Highlands (19).JPG