Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery of a used 2023 Model 3 RWD - Have a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title describes, I received my first Tesla yesterday, a 2023 Model 3 RWD with 39,000 miles in really good shape (bought it from Carvana). Love it so far. I have a couple questions I’m hoping someone can answer for me:

1. My Model 3 didn’t come with a rear touchscreen. I thought that was standard, but I guess it’s not? Are there other optional components that I should be aware of that I may or may not have on my car?

2. I’ve seen videos that claim a screen protector for the front touchscreen is a necessity. Is that accurate?

3. I’ve seen videos that indicate I should never take my Model 3 to a regular car wash because it will ruin the paint. Is that true?

4. Anything else that I should definitely purchase for the car? I’ve already bought all weather floor mats and console inserts/organizers.

5. How will I know if and when I should take it to a repair facility to check out the tires, have them rotated, etc. and have other service performed?

Thank you so much!

As the title describes, I received my first Tesla yesterday, a 2023 Model 3 RWD with 39,000 miles in really good shape (bought it from Carvana). Love it so far. I have a couple questions I’m hoping someone can answer for me:
Congratulations!

1. My Model 3 didn’t come with a rear touchscreen. I thought that was standard, but I guess it’s not? Are there other optional components that I should be aware of that I may or may not have on my car?

Rear screens in model 3s didnt become standard till the 2024 refresh (the car being called "highland" in most threads due to its name pre release). The rear screen isnt an optional component, Tesla doesnt offer very many options. It either comes with the car on the 2024 or doesnt on any other one. Any pre highland model 3 with a rear screen would be after market screens.

The only real factory options are wheel size (18 / 19 inch wheels) interior color, and exterior color. If you dont have a charging solution you might want to get that, but the car didnt come standard with that in 2023 either.

2. I’ve seen videos that claim a screen protector for the front touchscreen is a necessity. Is that accurate?

Necessity? No, not at all.

3. I’ve seen videos that indicate I should never take my Model 3 to a regular car wash because it will ruin the paint. Is that true?
Its a car, treat it like you would any other car you had. Regular car washes damage all paint on all cars, but either you care about that and are obsessive about avoiding orange peel and micro scratches or you arent. In both cases, treat it like every other car you had in terms of washing it.

So, my answer to your question of "is that true" is "No"

4. Anything else that I should definitely purchase for the car? I’ve already bought all weather floor mats and console inserts/organizers.

I dont have any particular suggestions. people go crazy with this stuff but after floor mats, there isnt much else that someone "must" have.

5. How will I know if and when I should take it to a repair facility to check out the tires, have them rotated, etc. and have other service performed?

The manual for the car is online, and the service intervals (such as they are) are there:

(Link to online manual, directly to Maintenance section)

Congratulations!

Rear screens in model 3s didnt become standard till the 2024 refresh (the car being called "highland" in most threads due to its name pre release). The rear screen isnt an optional component, Tesla doesnt offer very many options. It either comes with the car on the 2024 or doesnt on any other one. Any pre highland model 3 with a rear screen would be after market screens.

The only real factory options are wheel size (18 / 19 inch wheels) interior color, and exterior color. If you dont have a charging solution you might want to get that, but the car didnt come standard with that in 2023 either.

Its a car, treat it like you would any other car you had. Regular car washes damage all paint on all cars, but either you care about that and are obsessive about avoiding orange peel and micro scratches or you arent. In both cases, treat it like every other car you had in terms of washing it.

I dont have any particular suggestions. people go crazy with this stuff but after floor mats, there isnt much else that someone "must" have.

The manual for the car is online, and the service intervals (such as they are) are there:

Thanks!!
Yeah, I’ve seen those service intervals in the manual. But because I don’t know when something in particular was last done on the car, I don’t really know when it should be done next! For example, I don’t have a clue when the tires were last checked and/or rotated. I guess the tires are the thing I’m most concerned about. I’m not very good when it comes to inspecting that sort of thing myself. I suppose it might behoove me to take the car to a local shop and have them inspect it, but then I’d be afraid they’d want me to have work done that wasn’t necessary. I’m used to taking my old car to a Honda dealership when the car told me I should. Is tire rotation and inspection something that’s actually recorded internally on the Tesla computer when it’s done? In which case, would the car know to tell me when it’s time to rotate again?

Thanks!!
Yeah, I’ve seen those service intervals in the manual. But because I don’t know when something in particular was last done on the car, I don’t really know when it should be done next! For example, I don’t have a clue when the tires were last checked and/or rotated. I guess the tires are the thing I’m most concerned about. I’m not very good when it comes to inspecting that sort of thing myself. I suppose it might behoove me to take the car to a local shop and have them inspect it, but then I’d be afraid they’d want me to have work done that wasn’t necessary. I’m used to taking my old car to a Honda dealership when the car told me I should. Is tire rotation and inspection something that’s actually recorded internally on the Tesla computer when it’s done? In which case, would the car know to tell me when it’s time to rotate again?

No, tire inspection / rotation is a visual thing and isnt recorded in the interface anywhere that I am aware of. Checking your tire tread depth is something just about anyone can do, and can do with loose change laying around if you dont want to buy a gauge that can do it:

Any discount tire or americas tire will also do this for free (check your tires).

No, tire inspection / rotation is a visual thing and isnt recorded in the interface anywhere that I am aware of.
I assumed that too but here's my car after installing 2024.14.9 a few days ago:

2024.14.9_service_screen.jpg

Clicking on the "i" icon after Tire Service Mileage shows this:

2024.14.9_tire_service_info.jpg

From the given mileage (I'm currently just under 30K miles), the event at around 11K miles was probably when I went into the service center and replaced the two rear tires (unrepairable puncture on one and wear on the other). Since then I've replaced all four and probably should hit the Reset function. I don't know when this display got implemented, as I rarely look into the Service section.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Congratulations!

All accurate answers
I’ll jump in on the relevant stuff, stuff if you want to keep the T long term, front to back:

Front grill mesh protection

Good quality front plate holder (little tricky with the grill mesh which need a little trim)

Under hood drain filter/protection

Paint correct, PPF by authorized Xpel dealer
The front is a package, add lower back corners of back doors and rear bumper top edge
and ceramic the entire vehicle

Depending on the wheels you have , curb rash rim protection

Xpel tint all windows

Tesla front mud flaps

Door sill plates

Inside ceramic all sit and touch surfaces

Headrest pillows

Center console side, carpet protectors

Center console front drop in tray

Center console laminate surface protection

Center console, cup holder insert

Rear of center console, snap/glue on cup holder for rear seat passengers

Arm rest padded cover

Magbak magsafe display mount left and right of partner wants better charge

Behind display shelf for glasses, other stuff

Back of front seat garbage snap holder

Fanttik V8 vacuum

Baby wipes stored and ready

Rear lower vent mesh protective covers

Trunk mat, M3

Trunk screw in bag hook

Fun/look carbon fiber spoiler

Subscribe to FSD $99/month, amazinf

Do annual premium connectivity subscription to save

Buy and hold Tesla 2x cabin and if present, 4x Hepa, carbon filters

Tire depth gauge, measure all 4, cross tread monthly

Apple Watch app, BU key

Use only Tesla wiper refills for the originals last a very long time, unusual

Two sets of jack pads, home and in vehicle for emergencies

Rotate every 6500 miles and align as needed

Inspect, clean brakes at 100k miles

Btw, road trip stuff is another list

Enjoy

I assumed that too but here's my car after installing 2024.14.9 a few days ago:

View attachment 1057886

Clicking on the "i" icon after Tire Service Mileage shows this:

View attachment 1057887

From the given mileage (I'm currently just under 30K miles), the event at around 11K miles was probably when I went into the service center and replaced the two rear tires (unrepairable puncture on one and wear on the other). Since then I've replaced all four and probably should hit the Reset function. I don't know when this display got implemented, as I rarely look into the Service section.
Good to know!

One of those "continuous improvement" things in the software I guess.