Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear finally has a good video and review of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good video overall, but there were some glaring mistakes

It looked like they had it in chill mode.
No use of NoA
Didn't blur out the entry code for the lounge
Didn't know they could up the charge port from the supercharger

Not much of a review.

Top gear or the grand tour really needs to do a proper road trip or special using electric vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Good video overall, but there were some glaring mistakes

It looked like they had it in chill mode.
No use of NoA
Didn't blur out the entry code for the lounge
Didn't know they could up the charge port from the supercharger

Not much of a review.

Top gear or the grand tour really needs to do a proper road trip or special using electric vehicles.

Or at least have a ride along with a Tesla owner who can “correct” things they say or do when needed. The general public who might be considering buying a car for long-term use (not a few hours in a car for the weekend) would benefit from drivers of cars who have had real experience driving it. From what I can tell these car magazine guys don’t spend much time with them in reality. Aside from a gloss-over and stats from the manufacturer’s specs not sure what value they really bring to potential owners. That said the video was likely informative to newbies for views of the factory if you haven’t done a tour and his driving trip to KC was nice footage.

I thought it was appalling that he displayed the KC SC lounge info. Probably changed routinely but so not cool when he clearly understood its purpose. That makes him a jerk in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: electrictorque
Some of you seem to be under the impression these shows are designed to be factual, objective car reviews.
First off, this is from Top Gear the website/magazine. It's really nothing to do with Top Gear the TV show apart from the shared branding.
It's actually not that bad considering the amount of negative/bad journalism I've seen regarding the Model 3 in the UK recently.

Top Gear the TV show and now The Grand Tour (where Clarkson et al resides) are scripted entertainment shows and you're not going to get objective, accurate reporting about the features of any car on them, let alone a Tesla. They are opinion pieces at best and just plain nonsense mostly. The 16-35 demographic isn't interested in facts, supposedly.

And don't be fooled into thinking the code they punched into the keypad in one shot is the actual code which opens the door. It's called editing.

TV isn't real life folks.

Some of you seem to be under the impression these shows are designed to be factual, objective car reviews.
First off, this is from Top Gear the website/magazine. It's really nothing to do with Top Gear the TV show apart from the shared branding.
It's actually not that bad considering the amount of negative/bad journalism I've seen regarding the Model 3 in the UK recently.

Top Gear the TV show and now The Grand Tour (where Clarkson et al resides) are scripted entertainment shows and you're not going to get objective, accurate reporting about the features of any car on them, let alone a Tesla. They are opinion pieces at best and just plain nonsense mostly. The 16-35 demographic isn't interested in facts, supposedly.

And don't be fooled into thinking the code they punched into the keypad in one shot is the actual code which opens the door. It's called editing.

TV isn't real life folks.

It wasn't when he punched the code into the keypad.
It was when he entered in the destination on the maps.
If I was editing the video I would have blurred it out to avoid looking like jerks. Actually I probably would have edited it to make some kind of hidden joke.

I think even they would admit it was a mistake/oversight. To mention the door code, but then to fail to blur it out.

It's not a huge deal as it is after all a rolling code.

It's also kind of in the middle of nowhere, and we're not talking about a high security area.

Overall I liked the video, and especially the factory part.

FYI - Out of curiosity I checked my nav to see if the code was the same. The answer is BLUR. :p

Clarkson reviewed the Model X on Grand Tour and gave it a pretty positive review. It was pretty funny as he had lawyers - real or not, who knows - in the car to ensure his statements did not "cross the line".

It's not a huge deal as it is after all a rolling code.

It's also kind of in the middle of nowhere, and we're not talking about a high security area.

Overall I liked the video, and especially the factory part.

FYI - Out of curiosity I checked my nav to see if the code was the same. The answer is BLUR. :p

Sorry, I missed that 1 second shot of the display showing the code! I think you've addressed the point though as I suspect the code would have been changed by the time that piece made in onto YT.