Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear is Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was never a big fan, but after that roadster stunt I had disdain, given the extent to which they went to artificially put Tesla in a bad light and exadurate the limits of a ground breaking technology that shows promise to solving so many of today's problems.

Used to be a big Top Gear fan, until about the time of the Roadster review. It was not just that they targeted Tesla, it was more the dishonesty of some of that and other reviews at the time. I also recall a review of a Bentley where Jeremy spent most of the time doing burnouts until one of the rear tires failed. This doesn't tell me much about the car and deliberate abuse of someone else's property is never warranted in my book, even as a joke.
This made me reevaluate my opinion of the show where I started to see it had moved from clever and funny pieces, to goading groups of people or the perceived stereotypes of groups of people, probably because they had run out of ideas. So perhaps it's time in its current form had come.

@Bluenation

I think you are probably right. JC decided it was in his best interest to pretend to be a chauvinist and bigot to attract as many viewers as possible. And yes that has served him, his crew and the BBC very well financially. On their path to riches and fame they (I don't see how his wing men and the BBC are not responsible) "offended a couple of people" along the way. Many have laughed and giggled at the character JC created himself like when school boys and girls laugh and giggle when they see somebody bullied on the school play ground. Maybe this kind of behaviour is fun and acceptable for others, I find it offensive and think it's disgusting that the BBC (publicly funded remember) gave him stage for his act for so long.

im not a TG fan, i think the show's all flash no substance, and about as valuable to explore cars as American idol is to explore singing or vocals. But hey, we live in the age of 'reality tv' and all its silly derivatives, dont we?

that said, i do think it's awesome bbc went along for the ride. it's great to see kids around the world become excited about cars (even tho it's mostly silly supercar/hypercar stuff i dont care for). and it's a nice contrast to the stodgy victorian Brit content it usually pushes out. and tho i wouldnt want to befriend jc, i'd sure love to buy him beer, if only to get him drunk and watch him put on his wacky ass shtick.

and it's refreshing to see that rare someone who pushes ppl's buttons instead of stooping to the lowest 'PC" common denominator.

oh and those million signature petitions? that just proves what im saying: dude's popular around the world. Not just among white dudes in the West. Not even close. :)

tl;dr - TG is one of those few 'factual' shows that crosses all kinds of cultural boundaries. for better AND for worse.

The difference being, Colbert wouldn't walk out of the studio and yell at immigrants or liberals off camera. JC actually called a producer a "lazy Irish c**t" before punching him in the face. That's not him playing a character, that's an indication of his actual personality.

when the dude's on cam, he's playin it up. trust me, thats how show biz works

;)

im not a TG fan, i think the show's all flash no substance, and about as valuable to explore cars as American idol is to explore singing or vocals. But hey, we live in the age of 'reality tv' and all its silly derivatives, dont we?

that said, i do think it's awesome bbc went along for the ride. it's great to see kids around the world become excited about cars (even tho it's mostly silly supercar/hypercar stuff i dont care for). and it's a nice contrast to the stodgy victorian Brit content it usually pushes out. and tho i wouldnt want to befriend jc, i'd sure love to buy him beer, if only to get him drunk and watch him put on his wacky ass shtick.

and it's refreshing to see that rare someone who pushes ppl's buttons instead of stooping to the lowest 'PC" common denominator.

oh and those million signature petitions? that just proves what im saying: dude's popular around the world. Not just among white dudes in the West. Not even close. :)

tl;dr - TG is one of those few 'factual' shows that crosses all kinds of cultural boundaries. for better AND for worse.

when the dude's on cam, he's playin it up. trust me, thats how show biz works

;)

Perhaps you have a point to a certain extent only, 'thats how show biz works' and 'dude's popular around the world'. Not all show biz works like that.

Some people would do anything to promote themselves at the expense of others, some people would consider carefully how to be funny.

People that signed petition for JC most likely did not consider very carefully what they are supporting.

There is no doubt in my mind that if they had a chance to have a beer with him and to get to know him a bit better, most of them would not sign that petition.

I also think that the odds are good to get your wish fulfilled, maybe not a beer with JC in person but with his clone, world is full of them and they all gravitate towards each other. When that happens, enjoy it.:smile:

Last edited:
Has there actually been confirmation that the show is cancelled? I See that Clarkson is probably gone, and this season is gone, but I've not seen anything official saying the show is cancelled. I'd be really surprised, knowing what it's worth to the BBC, and the fact they now own the Franchise, if they didn't at least try with a new crew and updated format. Those that have been around long enough will remember that TG used to be a real motoring show, albeit a bit dull.

top gear is a comedy about cars, whatever they say is not an "authoritative voice" in any way shape or form, if you watched the episode with their suggestion to a UK police vehicle that should tell you right there that it was never meant to be taken seriously.

also if you watched the ambulance replacement episode that should give you a good hint as well.

I agree that no one should think they were an "authoritative voice", but many did and do - because they only hinted at the truth.
They cultivated the appearance of being experts in their field.
They mixed product reviews that they pretended were real but were totally fake into their show.
They intentionally misled the audience to think they were mixing honest critiques with the comedy.

Good riddance.
+100

I've watched very few eps.
top gear is a comedy about cars, whatever they say is not an "authoritative voice" in any way shape or form
Unfortunately, they have many millions of viewers (350 million? per 60 Minutes) and many did take some (a lot?) of what they said as fact. They trashed a number of cars besides Teslas unfairly. I one time had a big beef w/the conclusions of their sports car comparos. And, they help perpetuate CNW junk "science", that still continues to this day. :(

To me, the above doesn't at all make up for what admittedly were some entertaining pieces.

Birds of a feather flock together

RM.JPG

Our favourite most hated Aussie may be making a job offer

I agree that no one should think they were an "authoritative voice", but many did and do - because they only hinted at the truth.
They cultivated the appearance of being experts in their field
They mixed product reviews that they pretended were real but were totally fake into their show.
They intentionally misled the audience to think they were mixing honest critiques with the comedy.

This ^^^ 100%! ...the Guinness Book of World records was fooled... BBC decides not to renew s contract - Yahoo Celebrity CA

"The Guinness Book of World Records has described "Top Gear" as the world's most widely watched factual program. It broadcasts to 214 territories worldwide and has an estimated global audience of 350 million."

What a pathetic & lame response from McCarthy...

""I just don't feel (the situation) was handled right. I believe if it had been handled more intelligently and more strategically there would have been more options for there to be a better outcome all round"

Sounds like by "strategically", he means keeping the incident from the public / asking producer Tymon to keep quiet about it and sweep it under the rug...Perhaps if he was the one cuffed in the mush, he'd feel differently...

...and he will find a new network/channel/media outlet who will want his fan base (something like 300 million viewers worldwide). Sort of like some bad actor but talented NFL players who always manage to find a team that is desperate....