Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Stealth EcoHitch for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did my first not short drive with this hitch and a Yakima Hold Up 2 Rack with my MTB on it. Pictures attached. Bike isn't perfectly center as its set up for having two bikes. Just 1 inch or so to the side, likely has a small drag addition. I'll comfortably say a MTB on the back takes about 20% more energy per mile. Still far more efficient than my Rav4 with no rack installed.
Also, put a picture here so you can see how V9 handles the bike rack. When it was still dark it shows a motorcycle. Bright it shows a person/motorcycle back and forth. Red radar lines only show when on autopilot. Beeping noise is there backing up, but serves as a good reminder something is back there.
8q15nEK.jpg
KXOcTHf.jpg
wed a motorcyle, in the daylight it was a person/ motorcycle back and forth! When autopilot is on you see red marks for real sensors, when off you dont, just the person.

Just curious, what kind of trailer did you pull and what were your wh/mile?

I used a device that grabs the front wheel, and lets the rear wheel stay on the ground. I'm told that's a bad idea for some motorcycles (gearbox lubrication may not be active in that mode) and the device itself has some issues, so I'd rather not promote them.

Wh/mi was maybe 10% below normal.

Reactions: SigNC
does anyone know if I can get the ecohitch in Canada or do I have to order it directly from Torklift
If you buy it from etrailer.com, they ship to Canada. That's where I got it and a few accessories related to it. etrailer.com also price matches, so they have really good prices.

Edit: Just remembered that I didn't order my EcoHitch from etrailer.com because they only carry the 2" receiver version and I wanted the 1-1/4" version. But I did order a 5-3/8" rise ball mount, a 2" stainless steel hitch ball, wiring harness, and a few other things from there.

Last edited:
If you buy it from etrailer.com, they ship to Canada. That's where I got it and a few accessories related to it. etrailer.com also price matches, so they have really good prices.

Edit: Just remembered that I didn't order my EcoHitch from etrailer.com because they only carry the 2" receiver version and I wanted the 1-1/4" version. But I did order a 5-3/8" rise ball mount, a 2" stainless steel hitch ball, wiring harness, and a few other things from there.
Thanks alot

I got the Ecohitch installed on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 yesterday and found out Tesla made a nice change to more easily accommodate the hitch between the 2018 and 2019 models (likely to support the European factory fit Tesla hitch option). They now have an access panel where the hitch comes through so no need to cover the hole with an aftermarket plate when you remove the receiver. I understand this was not the case with the 2018 model from the installer. When you remove the receiver and put the access panel back, there is no indication of the hitch from behind or under the car.

The other advantage is the opening provides plenty of room to get a standard 15/16" socket in to add/remove the receiver. There also is room to thread a rope chain through the hitch to lock a rack to the hitch if you are worried someone could unbolt and remove the receiver and your attached rack and bike(s). I personally think that is fairly unlikely since it is not obvious it is removable and someone would have to have the right tool on them and wiggle under the back around the rack/bikes assuming they were attached.

Here are some photos with the receiver installed and removed. I have the 1up Equip-D rack with an add-on. I normally just have one bike on and I like the license plate is still visible when the rack is in the storage position. I can open the trunk with 1 or two bikes loaded or in the storage position.

I am pretty happy with the setup and am glad I live close to eTrailer since they do local installs for free if you let them shoot a how-to installation video to post on their website.

Attachments

• Hitch with panel open.JPG
    Hitch with panel open.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 205
  • OEM hitch panel installed.JPG
    OEM hitch panel installed.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 207
  • OEM hitch panel.JPG
    OEM hitch panel.JPG
    996.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 1 up + add on loaded 2.JPG
    1 up + add on loaded 2.JPG
    546.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 1 up loaded.JPG
    1 up loaded.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 1 up storage.JPG
    1 up storage.JPG
    505.5 KB · Views: 205
I got the Ecohitch installed on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 yesterday and found out Tesla made a nice change to more easily accommodate the hitch between the 2018 and 2019 models (likely to support the European factory fit Tesla hitch option). They now have an access panel where the hitch comes through so no need to cover the hole with an aftermarket plate when you remove the receiver. I understand this was not the case with the 2018 model from the installer. When you remove the receiver and put the access panel back, there is no indication of the hitch from behind or under the car.

The other advantage is the opening provides plenty of room to get a standard 15/16" socket in to add/remove the receiver. There also is room to thread a rope chain through the hitch to lock a rack to the hitch if you are worried someone could unbolt and remove the receiver and your attached rack and bike(s). I personally think that is fairly unlikely since it is not obvious it is removable and someone would have to have the right tool on them and wiggle under the back around the rack/bikes assuming they were attached.

Here are some photos with the receiver installed and removed. I have the 1up Equip-D rack with an add-on. I normally just have one bike on and I like the license plate is still visible when the rack is in the storage position. I can open the trunk with 1 or two bikes loaded or in the storage position.

I am pretty happy with the setup and am glad I live close to eTrailer since they do local installs for free if you let them shoot a how-to installation video to post on their website.
That new access panel is nice. No, my 2018 doesn't have it.

I decided to grab a roll of rubberized foam and cut a gasket to put in the gap to keep out as much of the elements as possible. Not a perfect job but it was cheap and I have an entire roll to experiment with. When I disconnect the receiver, I can snap back in the access panel.

Attachments

• IMG_9004.JPG
    IMG_9004.JPG
    576.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_9003.JPG
    IMG_9003.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9005.JPG
    IMG_9005.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 171