Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Ecohitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EcoHitch seems to be compatible with the Refreshed MS, at list this is what it says at Forklift website.
Torklift Central | Torklift Central | 2012-2016 Tesla Model S EcoHitch

But the magnetic undercover seems to not be compatible with it. The site says it explicitly.

IMG_0320.PNG

So has anyone actually done this on a refresh model yet? I can't find a single picture or reference to anyone having done it other than that one line on the ecohitch website.

I have my ecohitch sitting in the garage and I've got nothing to do tomorrow. Haha, I'm scared to start!

I emailed the folks at Torklift and here is what they said:

"You can use the 2015 model if you would like but it does stick out the back and is not flush with the bumper. If you are local to WA (Kent) you can bring it in and could possibly receive a free undercover that we will make for you."
Maybe some one at TMC from WA can stop by at the company in Kent.

I have another question: Is there a potential issue with moisture and dirt intrusion under the car when the EcoHitch is in use?

I ask because we'd expect to use the EcoHitch during winter, entailing lots of slush and road grime. In addition, we sometimes drive short distances on dirt roads (mainly to access trails).

We just had our EcoHitch installed and it seems quite solid, so from what I can see today, I'm happy with the product quality and the installer.

The big negative, though, is that it's tricky to get in and out of our driveway without scraping the hitch, even with the suspension on "very high". (We normally have to raise the suspension due to the way our driveway slopes relative to the street.) I think this is something I can manage, but it looks to be a real problem for the other drivers in our family who already rely on me to back the Model S into the driveway for charging purposes. I really wish I had more carefully investigated whether rear clearance might be an issue.

I suppose we could have held out for a Model X for its additional clearance as an alternative to buying a pre-owned Model S in 2016. However, I'm not a big fan of the unnecessarily slow and complex "falcon wing" doors and we weren't inclined to pay tens of thousands of dollars more (relative to a pre-owned Model S). Don't get me wrong - the falcon wing doors are cool to a degree and they wouldn't be a showstopper, but they do make the Model X less desirable in my eyes. Had we held out for a Model X, though, we'd have AWD and a more usable hitch for bicycles. Grrr.

If you've read this far, thanks for tolerating my venting! Just be aware that retrofitting a hitch might not be the best approach for every Model S owner who wants to carry bikes. I may end up just detaching our EcoHitch and only using it for occasional long trips, if at all.

I just got mine installed at a (Tesla approved) body shop (while they had the the bumper out for some other work). Also bought the refresh undercover hitch from Torklift (bought from a local dealer that had it in stock - big surprise - they install one eco-hitch a week they said - Rack n Road in Campbell, CA - very informative on Teslas). If you have a refresh Tesla, definitely buy the undercover that is designed for it (the flat bottom is not really flat, two of its longer edges are slightly curved).

• Informative
Reactions: abasile