Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn between two used S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two refreshed model S’s have me torn. Both are 2021 blue, white interior with ~20k miles.

-No FSD, tinted windows, 21” arachnids
-FSD, 19” tempest for $4500 more

I love the arachnids way more but is the FSD for $4500 more worth it? I don’t have FSD on my model 3, so I’m under certain how valued it is.

Two refreshed model S’s have me torn. Both are 2021 blue, white interior with ~20k miles.

-No FSD, tinted windows, 21” arachnids
-FSD, 19” tempest for $4500 more

I love the arachnids way more but is the FSD for $4500 more worth it? I don’t have FSD on my model 3, so I’m under certain how valued it is.
FSD cost $1200 now. The "value" of FSD should not be part of the equation unless you intend to resell at a higher price. Which do you want, which do you value more, FSD or arachnids? For me, I don't place any value on FSD because I don't trust it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan7
FSD cost $1200 now. The "value" of FSD should not be part of the equation unless you intend to resell at a higher price. Which do you want, which do you value more, FSD or arachnids? For me, I don't place any value on FSD because I don't trust it.
That’s a fair point. I appreciate your input. I’m curious how soon FSD will be feasible though.

That's a typo, FSD is actually a $12,000 option which is a big difference. Personally, I love the way 21's look but they suck to live with. I'd take that FSD option on 19's all day every day. Know that FSD is a pipe dream but it will add value to your car when it comes to sell it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Comes down to asthetics. You can add FSD if you want down the road. If you like the 21s (like I do) and aren't concerned about range, even though its negligible to me, go for the 21s.

I think of the FSD as a cool option, but I do love to drive. Having the car do it for me just isn't as exciting.

Comes down to asthetics. You can add FSD if you want down the road. If you like the 21s (like I do) and aren't concerned about range, even though its negligible to me, go for the 21s.

I think of the FSD as a cool option, but I do love to drive. Having the car do it for me just isn't as exciting.
That’s a fair point. I don’t use the autopilot all too often unless there’s not much traffic on the highway. I think it’s better to save the $4500 and that can pay for ~2 years of FSD subscription if I really want it. It doesn’t appear FSD has added much to resale value at all.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That’s a fair point. I don’t use the autopilot all too often unless there’s not much traffic on the highway. I think it’s better to save the $4500 and that can pay for ~2 years of FSD subscription if I really want it. It doesn’t appear FSD has added much to resale value at all.
This isn't what I've experienced at all as someone who has their finger on the pulse of the used market for many years now. There's a clear step on pricing for cars based on what version of autopilot software they have that's almost exactly what those options cost new. By that I mean that cars with EAP are nearly $5k more than those w/o and those with FSD enabled are nearly $10k more than those without.

Speculation: As these prices increase it will also likely make for the used versions to increase as well based on what I've seen so for with the re-addition of EAP at a higher price point and increasing FSD $12k. This was recent enough that I haven't spotted a trend but my guess is that over time this will play out with the used car market too and will be even more apparent once FSD goes from $12k to $15k if that indeed happens.

Don't think you're flushing $12k down the toilet if you don't personally use it because it will certainly add more to the value of your car down the road. Without getting into if FSD will ever be a thing in our lifetime or not, I can tell you that the data supports that you'll get quite a bit of whatever the option cost back out of it down the road in terms of private party sale if you market it properly.

If you trade it in, well that's another thing entirely. The used car books are all historically horrible at valuing Teslas but this trend continues in the fact that most don't account for lots of the options to include Autopilot/FSD versions. Face it, if you're trading your car in you're not as concerned with finances because you'll always get more for it selling it private party anyway. Different conversation.

Reactions: Dan7
Im glad my car came w FSD.. I never enabled full FSD on my car, but with the package my car does lane shifts, takes all exits on highway to my destination and does a bunch of other things. I absolutley love it so for me FSD all the way.. The prior models FSD wasnt so useful, but with this refresh it really does make a difference and I really enjoy the Autopilot a lot with the added features it brings.. Depends on you and your driving style though..