Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger on new inventory MSP - am I missing anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now is such a great time to buy a MS plaid. I know your excited and I would be too. With the $10,000 off on inventory and with 3 years free S/C, it's an awesome time. I had a sales advisor call me as soon as I looked on line on our 2018 MX trade in value. They are so ready to sell.

Now is such a great time to buy a MS plaid. I know your excited and I would be too. With the $10,000 off on inventory and with 3 years free S/C, it's an awesome time. I had a sales advisor call me as soon as I looked on line on our 2018 MX trade in value. They are so ready to sell.
I had a similar experience where I had money down on a black interior MS inventory vehicle, but spoke to my sales representative about locating a beige interior.
The sales associate found the vehicle coming off the production line in California and had it routed to Philadelphia with an ETA on Tuesday.
They are definitely motivated to close deals.

I had a similar experience where I had money down on a black interior MS inventory vehicle, but spoke to my sales representative about locating a beige interior.
The sales associate found the vehicle coming off the production line in California and had it routed to Philadelphia with an ETA on Tuesday.
They are definitely motivated to close deals.
Did they let you do that without losing the $250 order fee on the first one? I'm thinking of switching to another inventory vehicle, but don't want to lose $250.

Did they let you do that without losing the $250 order fee on the first one? I'm thinking of switching to another inventory vehicle, but don't want to lose $250.
Not only did they transfer the $250 but also promised to refund the $1,000 ($500 deposit and $500 transport fee) deposit I had placed on a pre-owned 2020 MSLR listed at $65k with only 18k mikes.

But, and it’s a big But:
I was notified today that my delivery date has been pushed back from 6/27 to 6/29, so getting very close to losing the 3 years of free SC.

Not only did they transfer the $250 but also promised to refund the $1,000 ($500 deposit and $500 transport fee) deposit I had placed on a pre-owned 2020 MSLR listed at $65k with only 18k mikes.

But, and it’s a big But:
I was notified today that my delivery date has been pushed back from 6/27 to 6/29, so getting very close to losing the 3 years of free SC.
That's awesome. They were fine with moving my reservation to another inventory VIN without losing the fee as well. I know that sounds small, but in the past they haven't done that.

I think you'll get it by 6/30 - they want it delivered this quarter even more than you do :)

Reactions: Mayer
That's awesome. They were fine with moving my reservation to another inventory VIN without losing the fee as well. I know that sounds small, but in the past they haven't done that.

I think you'll get it by 6/30 - they want it delivered this quarter even more than you do :)
Seems likely although someone pointed out above that the terms actually require possession “prior to” 6/30.
I guess that’s why the SC scheduled delivery for 6/29. I wonder how many MS/X deliveries are scheduled for 6/29.

Yep, but you take a gamble if you don't buy now and they meet their targets. FUSC is basically worth nothing to me but might be to some. It is a double edged sword. Sure it is free, but if you use it a lot, you increase the degradation of your battery. For me 99.9% of my charging is at home.
Recent definitive research has disproved that frequent supercharging is bad for your battery showing in fact that there is no measurable or statistically significant effect at all. This is due no doubt to the excellent thermal management, both warming the battery to allow it to safely fast charge and then cooling it to keep it from getting too hot..

Recent definitive research has disproved that frequent supercharging is bad for your battery showing in fact that there is no measurable or statistically significant effect at all. This is due no doubt to the excellent thermal management, both warming the battery to allow it to safely fast charge and then cooling it to keep it from getting too hot..
As an owner with a 2023 MSLR, supercharging exclusively due to free 3 year incentive, any source to your statement “definitive research” cited above?

As an owner with a 2023 MSLR, supercharging exclusively due to free 3 year incentive, any source to your statement “definitive research” cited above?
This is of course an enormous relief to us as we have the very last of the free unlimited supercharging cars. We will probably drive these cars into the ground and may even replace their batteries in 10 years if we need to.

I actually read through their results which came out well after what you quoted that I posted about 2 months earlier. That was from Recurrent auto and not Tesla. They had no data on S or X's and only 3/Y's. While it may apply, there have been a lot more S/X's around than 3/Y's but the limitation may be that Recurrent hasn't be monitoring cars that long.

They still point out circumstances where supercharging can be bad. Not to mention that dodge answering some of their own questions. Take a look at this one from their page of the results. Look under DC charging fact or fiction section. "Routinely fast charging your car from 0-100% is fine." Even in their own table, they somewhat answer counter to what the say their results demonstrate.

Under fiction they say "Any amount of fast charging will cause permanent damage to your battery." Under the fact part they say "It’s still difficult to quantify precisely how much routine fast charging affects battery health long term – 5, 10, 20 years – but it’s fine in small doses." So by their own admission, the jury is still out on the impact of DC charging.

FYI - I do use Recurrent Auto to monitor the battery health of my cars. So in general I have some faith in them. At the same time, they don't even get simple things right so I'd like to see the full methodology of their study and data and infer my own conclusions as I have a lot of questions about their results and think it needs more info such as incorporating geographic data to drive better insights.

As to where they miss simple things, which concerns me when they offer their degradation insights, there is a major issue with my S info. They told me on my car that I was suffering about 14% degradation on a car that is about 18 months old and <10k miles. Imagine my shock at how much degradation I supposedly had already experienced. So I started drilling down into the info. I found a major flaw. They said based on my cars data, I had an expected current range of 341 miles. Let me do the math, 341/346 = .979 or about a 2.1% amount of degradation.

They were calculating my degradation based on a factory wheel size of 19", not my 21's. If I had been running 19's, then their math might have been right. Instead they were off over 10%. They had now way to account for my wheel size such as a config file. So tell me how accurate do you think their results are going to be if they missed something simple like wheel size? I wrote them about not having the info right for my car and basically I got a shrug and was told they had no way of doing it for my S. I didn't inquire about my 3.

Maybe they got it right for every 3 and Y. Just to recap they were off regarding my estimated range by almost 12%! So what did the miss in the study? Or by some luck, or better data accounting for wheel size and temps, they get it right? I don't know about you, but I am not about to make my charging decisions based on that study. I can say my MS LR had virtually no SC use and had less than 1% degradation (or 0, depending on what method I used) when I sold it. My MS Plaid has about 2-2.5% using the same app/sources to measure degradation. My Plaid saw a lot more super charger use and this is pulling the data at the equivalent miles that I sold my MS LR. The climate was similar for both cars. I am pretty sure my MS LR had a lot more full-throttle runs than the Plaid did. I probably did full-throttle 150-200 test runs with that car.

Looking at it logically, if my approach is right, minimize SC use, keeping average SoC around 50%, then I will minimize the degradation of the battery. If I am wrong, I've lost nothing. I've been doing the same with my M3 LR w/boost and 18 months in I still have basically negligible degradation, almost all sources say 1 mile or less.. Using Recurrent it says my current rated range is 357 vs the original of 358. At my current rate of degradation, they expect it to still have a rated range of about 345 in 3 years which works out to total degradation of about 3% for about 4.5 years of ownership. I sure hope they are right. I plan on keeping the Plaid and 3 for as long as I can.

I actually read through their results which came out well after what you quoted that I posted about 2 months earlier. That was from Recurrent auto and not Tesla. They had no data on S or X's and only 3/Y's. While it may apply, there have been a lot more S/X's around than 3/Y's but the limitation may be that Recurrent hasn't be monitoring cars that long.

They still point out circumstances where supercharging can be bad. Not to mention that dodge answering some of their own questions. Take a look at this one from their page of the results. Look under DC charging fact or fiction section. "Routinely fast charging your car from 0-100% is fine." Even in their own table, they somewhat answer counter to what the say their results demonstrate.

Under fiction they say "Any amount of fast charging will cause permanent damage to your battery." Under the fact part they say "It’s still difficult to quantify precisely how much routine fast charging affects battery health long term – 5, 10, 20 years – but it’s fine in small doses." So by their own admission, the jury is still out on the impact of DC charging.

FYI - I do use Recurrent Auto to monitor the battery health of my cars. So in general I have some faith in them. At the same time, they don't even get simple things right so I'd like to see the full methodology of their study and data and infer my own conclusions as I have a lot of questions about their results and think it needs more info such as incorporating geographic data to drive better insights.

As to where they miss simple things, which concerns me when they offer their degradation insights, there is a major issue with my S info. They told me on my car that I was suffering about 14% degradation on a car that is about 18 months old and <10k miles. Imagine my shock at how much degradation I supposedly had already experienced. So I started drilling down into the info. I found a major flaw. They said based on my cars data, I had an expected current range of 341 miles. Let me do the math, 341/346 = .979 or about a 2.1% amount of degradation.

They were calculating my degradation based on a factory wheel size of 19", not my 21's. If I had been running 19's, then their math might have been right. Instead they were off over 10%. They had now way to account for my wheel size such as a config file. So tell me how accurate do you think their results are going to be if they missed something simple like wheel size? I wrote them about not having the info right for my car and basically I got a shrug and was told they had no way of doing it for my S. I didn't inquire about my 3.

Maybe they got it right for every 3 and Y. Just to recap they were off regarding my estimated range by almost 12%! So what did the miss in the study? Or by some luck, or better data accounting for wheel size and temps, they get it right? I don't know about you, but I am not about to make my charging decisions based on that study. I can say my MS LR had virtually no SC use and had less than 1% degradation (or 0, depending on what method I used) when I sold it. My MS Plaid has about 2-2.5% using the same app/sources to measure degradation. My Plaid saw a lot more super charger use and this is pulling the data at the equivalent miles that I sold my MS LR. The climate was similar for both cars. I am pretty sure my MS LR had a lot more full-throttle runs than the Plaid did. I probably did full-throttle 150-200 test runs with that car.

Looking at it logically, if my approach is right, minimize SC use, keeping average SoC around 50%, then I will minimize the degradation of the battery. If I am wrong, I've lost nothing. I've been doing the same with my M3 LR w/boost and 18 months in I still have basically negligible degradation, almost all sources say 1 mile or less.. Using Recurrent it says my current rated range is 357 vs the original of 358. At my current rate of degradation, they expect it to still have a rated range of about 345 in 3 years which works out to total degradation of about 3% for about 4.5 years of ownership. I sure hope they are right. I plan on keeping the Plaid and 3 for as long as I can.

Not sure if you thought you were posting something that was a correction? It was very clear that study was not done by Tesla. It's also clear from lots of research that calendar aging considerations trump even the most inflated possible estimation of supercharger effect. If you don't agree with that I would suggest you read up: Calendar Aging of Li-Ion Cells—Experimental Investigation and Empirical Correlation. If you're interested in minimizing battery degradation it's calendar aging particularly when the car is young over cycle aging although both are important. Cycle aging obviously becomes more important as the battery ages but almost all battery degradation in the first two years is calendar aging. That's a function of temperature and resting charge state.

Last edited:
Not a correction and none is needed yet. I don't think there have been enough studies to quantify the impact of supercharging, and under what conditions there is actually an impact.

I've read a lot regarding calendar aging, hence the reasons for the resting charge state I use. The link you listed seems to focus a lot higher temps (50C and 60C) than you might commonly see with Teslas in a resting state. Still, their results show that higher temps and states of charge are bad for degradation which is what other studies I've seen say. Other studies I've read also cover a broader range of temps and SoC. Battery University has a lot of info in a much easier to consume format for most people.

My point with Recurrent's study is they don't mention some crucial things in what they published. For example, what was the typical SC charge cycle? Was there a difference in people who frequently used SC and those who didn't? Such as how much charge was replenished (DoD) and what was the starting charge level SC charging was started at. Geographically how similar were the samplings for both? Extreme cold and hot weather have an impact. I didn't see if they only looked at SC use or was other DC charging included in their study.

My point is their observations may say something, or they may have flawed or inaccurate conclusions. I'll wait until I see other studies done and if their results align before I alter or base my habits on any of them. This is encouraging if accurate but I've seen too many flawed studies in my lifetime. I have another vehicle using lithium batteries and they recommend in the manual an overall charging ratio of 4:1 DC charging vs L2/LA charging, and they track it. So obv

Are you doing on overnight demo of a Plaid?

I have a MP3 which I love and been waiting on the new Roadster. I drove a regular S but didn’t love the size and feel of it. Would love to try the plaid to see if it feels any different. I know plaid is just speed but the acceleration boost transformed the feel of my first model 3. I love the looks and tech of the S but am worried it won’t be as fun to drive. We recently moved to NH. When I was in NY they said there was no way to demo the Plaid S. However I see used demo Plaid S’s on the website so not sure the logic here. 😂
I thought Tesla doesn't allow any test drives of a MS plaid? (For obvious reasons).