Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger on new inventory MSP - am I missing anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current 2020 M3P user and love it with all its quirks and looking to add a MSP to the stable. Have test driven, asked questions and searched this forum for all possible issues and just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything with my logic.

Options:

-Color: UR. It's just gorgeous.
-Wheels: 19's. Figure I can find arachnid wheels on CL/marketplace for less than 4500 (plus tax) or go for aftermarket 20's. And do 19's ride better?
-AP/EAP/FSD: Basic AP. I have FSD in my M3 and we never use it. It's a cool gimmick, but don't trust it yet. It's the future, but we aren't there yet. We don't even use the features in the EAP apart from the cool factor. This is basically a "bubble" car so hardly even use the auto-steer. Summon is kind of cool, but we never use it. Figure I can always sub for it or add it later tax free.
-Interior: Here is where I'm torn. Love the white. Black is safest. Cream is a slightly less desirable color than the white, but sat inside one yesterday and I didn't hate it. Kids are teenagers so they aren't too messy. Wife is messier than they are. =) Does the white and cream clean fairly easy? Worried about sweat and sunscreen.
-Yoke/wheel: Kind of indifferent to it. I like the openness of the yoke, but feel it is actually a hazard especially if you need to make an emergency maneuver. Will probably just take whatever the car has and figure it out. Can always change the yoke if I don't like it.

Known issues:

-turn signals and gear selector. Figure we'll get used to it like anything else.
-lack of USS. Meh. figure the price decrease can't come without some trade-offs. Have driven forever without the feature so figure I can make do.
-Tesla quirks and build Q. Doesn't bother me. The pros far outweigh the cons for me. And the service center is 10min away. Don't care for the MB/BMW/Audi/P-car Ev's. IMO, 10 year old MS body style looks better than those save for the Taycan and E-tron GT. Those are sexy, but cost and range don't make sense to me over a MS.

Am I missing anything? Doing an overnight demo tomorrow night.

Seems like you’re dead set for MSP. We got the white and never regretted it. Two weeks of driving and I’m still figuring how to use the turn signal. Personally picked the steering wheel for preference and test drove the yoke And my wife doesn’t like it at all, me personally I can live with it, not a deal breaker. FYI you can still see the front screen with the steering wheel. 1.99 0-60 will be awesome. I opted just for the regular MS, and never once regret it. That’s personal choice btw.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Have to ask, as I’m missing why the P? Costs extra for 1s faster acceleration.

If you’re not drag racing on track, for normal driving I opted for the LR
Thanks for the input all.

Not dead set on the plaid, but might depend on inventory. We really want the ultra red and so far there are more plaid options although inventory seems to be changing daily. The non-plaid is plenty fast. Heck, our M3P is wicked fast.

Thanks for the input all.

Not dead set on the plaid, but might depend on inventory. We really want the ultra red and so far there are more plaid options although inventory seems to be changing daily. The non-plaid is plenty fast. Heck, our M3P is wicked fast.
Hahaha. 3.1 sec seems enough for non racers. I worked with a sales advisor and they called me when the color combination we liked arrived. They have the incoming inventory that we can’t see.

Are you doing on overnight demo of a Plaid?

I have a MP3 which I love and been waiting on the new Roadster. I drove a regular S but didn’t love the size and feel of it. Would love to try the plaid to see if it feels any different. I know plaid is just speed but the acceleration boost transformed the feel of my first model 3. I love the looks and tech of the S but am worried it won’t be as fun to drive. We recently moved to NH. When I was in NY they said there was no way to demo the Plaid S. However I see used demo Plaid S’s on the website so not sure the logic here. 😂

Has anyone quantified the increase of insurance for the plaid versus MSLR?
around 20-30 a month for me.

Phantasms: If you dont like the size/feel of an LR, the plaid will not be any different. Yes it has WAY more power, but you have to be... able to use it. It is on tap at any time, but the road just doesnt really allow you to use it most of the time. So day to day an lr vs a plaid is not really consequential in any way, especially stop and go part throttle as the LR has WAY more power than required for that already. When it is appropriate to get on it, the difference is night and day.

As in, when driving in town with a 100lb/ft torque car, you could benefit from 200lb/ft torque as going from 0-10mph and back can be annoying if the car strugges. Same up to 400, but to a lesser degree. When you are talking about 800+, when exactly are you going to use it in town?

On the track at 9/10ths, you WILL appreciate it though.

My Plaid costs less to insure than my MS LR did. My MS LR cost less than my MY LR but more than my M3 LR. So from least to most expensive to insure where I live; M3 LR, Plaid, MS LR, MY LR.

If the MS LR ran its actual claimed time of 3.1, 0-60, I would have never sold it. It is quite a bit off its claimed time and slower than an M3P and barely quicker than an MYP in the real world. Since buying the Plaid, I'd never go back. On the street the MS LR handled a little better in general as it was lighter. Engage track mode on the Plaid and you can dial in a lot of things that make the car a lot more fun.

In general I was pretty happy with my MS LR from about 40 mph and up. Unfortunately the off the line acceleration was truly barely better than my M3 LR w/boost. So that was a huge disappointment to me. The car just felt a lot more sluggish off the line than a 700HP car should given the weight of the car. For some that might not matter but given the money I dropped on it, not meeting its claimed performance ticked me off and my M3 usually seemed quicker and it wasn't even the M3P.

I’m still a proud owner of a ms17 90d. And will eventually spring for a plaid. The 3yr unlimited super charger of got me going simce I have unlimited now doesn’t transfer though (saved $6kso far ) . For me I can’t live without fsd beta (beta is the key! ) I had to down grade for a couple of weeks and the lowered tiers are sooo bad comparitively . I travel 160 miles. Rt every weekend and it has mage those drives. Very enjoyable and not taxing at all!

Current 2020 M3P user and love it with all its quirks and looking to add a MSP to the stable. Have test driven, asked questions and searched this forum for all possible issues and just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything with my logic.

Options:

-Color: UR. It's just gorgeous.
-Wheels: 19's. Figure I can find arachnid wheels on CL/marketplace for less than 4500 (plus tax) or go for aftermarket 20's. And do 19's ride better?
-AP/EAP/FSD: Basic AP. I have FSD in my M3 and we never use it. It's a cool gimmick, but don't trust it yet. It's the future, but we aren't there yet. We don't even use the features in the EAP apart from the cool factor. This is basically a "bubble" car so hardly even use the auto-steer. Summon is kind of cool, but we never use it. Figure I can always sub for it or add it later tax free.
-Interior: Here is where I'm torn. Love the white. Black is safest. Cream is a slightly less desirable color than the white, but sat inside one yesterday and I didn't hate it. Kids are teenagers so they aren't too messy. Wife is messier than they are. =) Does the white and cream clean fairly easy? Worried about sweat and sunscreen.
-Yoke/wheel: Kind of indifferent to it. I like the openness of the yoke, but feel it is actually a hazard especially if you need to make an emergency maneuver. Will probably just take whatever the car has and figure it out. Can always change the yoke if I don't like it.

Known issues:

-turn signals and gear selector. Figure we'll get used to it like anything else.
-lack of USS. Meh. figure the price decrease can't come without some trade-offs. Have driven forever without the feature so figure I can make do.
-Tesla quirks and build Q. Doesn't bother me. The pros far outweigh the cons for me. And the service center is 10min away. Don't care for the MB/BMW/Audi/P-car Ev's. IMO, 10 year old MS body style looks better than those save for the Taycan and E-tron GT. Those are sexy, but cost and range don't make sense to me over a MS.

Am I missing anything? Doing an overnight demo tomorrow
My Plaid costs less to insure than my MS LR did. My MS LR cost less than my MY LR but more than my M3 LR. So from least to most expensive to insure where I live; M3 LR, Plaid, MS LR, MY LR.

If the MS LR ran its actual claimed time of 3.1, 0-60, I would have never sold it. It is quite a bit off its claimed time and slower than an M3P and barely quicker than an MYP in the real world. Since buying the Plaid, I'd never go back. On the street the MS LR handled a little better in general as it was lighter. Engage track mode on the Plaid and you can dial in a lot of things that make the car a lot more fun.

In general I was pretty happy with my MS LR from about 40 mph and up. Unfortunately the off the line acceleration was truly barely better than my M3 LR w/boost. So that was a huge disappointment to me. The car just felt a lot more sluggish off the line than a 700HP car should given the weight of the car. For some that might not matter but given the money I dropped on it, not meeting its claimed performance ticked me off and my M3 usually seemed quicker and it wasn't even the M3P.
Interesting.
It’s tempting to step up to the performance model, but man, the long range just seems plenty fast. Definitely something to think about. And there’s nothing wrong with having the best of the best, when you can afford it.

Reactions: Nickos and aerodyne
It was a 50k difference between the MS LR and Plaid when I ordered. For me I realized the Plaid was the performance bargain of the century but it wasn't worth 50k more to me. I got the MS LR and M3 LR for the price of a Plaid and my wife and I were both happy.

I agree the long range is plenty fast anywhere but off the line. For the 20k upgrade though the Plaid is a screaming deal. The extra sweetener, besides the extra power, is track mode. I can't begin to tell you how much fun this can be in the Plaid. Set it in drift mode and find a place to play. Another thing I like is the carbon fiber (CF) interior trim if you go that route. That is about a $1,500 upgrade if you buy the parts to install it on your MS LR. Then you have the CF rear spoiler; another $1,500. So there is 3k alone in upgrades. Add a couple grand if you were to have to pay for the software for the track mode, if you could get it on the MS LR, and you are looking at about $15k for a 50% increase in HP.

Absolutely an amazing deal if if fits within your budget. All that performance and a factory warranty just blows my mind. How often can you own a car that was the quickest production automobile in the world? Still the quickest sedan I believe. You'll likely never see a Rimac on the street.

Could have farther to fall. X plaid is only $3,500 more than regular X with 6 seats. A lot of MSPs in inventory too.
I saw that too but I think maybe they over priced the X to begin with. ;) I would never get the 6 seat option since you can't fold the middle seats down anyway. Stupid decision on their part.

Who knows with Tesla pricing what they'll do short term. I am comfortable with where I bought on on my Plaid and where I exited on my LR. I drove my LR for almost free for 15 months.

Could have farther to fall. X plaid is only $3,500 more than regular X with 6 seats. A lot of MSPs in inventory too.
If you think that’s bad, it looks like monkeys are doing pricing for model 3

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1924.jpeg
    IMG_1924.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 136
I saw that too but I think maybe they over priced the X to begin with. ;) I would never get the 6 seat option since you can't fold the middle seats down anyway. Stupid decision on their part.

I had the 6 seater. Honestly, I think the preference is based on the person and their individual needs. I agree, I wish the 6 seater middle row folded down, but the 6 seater is also the only X that can comfortably fit 6 adults. The 3rd row in the 7 seater is really only suitable for kids IMO, so max 5 adults with one squished in the middle.

During my one brief test drive of a 23 MS LR, from repeated rolls of of varying speeds it seemed like the MS LR destroyed my MYP. I never tried hammering it off the line though. Interesting that the Plaid was cheaper for you to insure. Can Tesla please bring back stalks and a real horn button?!? PLEASE!

Did you buy your plaid yet?
Maybe you can buy the white/black/19 and switch with my not yet one month old red/black/21 arachnid? I have 800 miles on it, so happy to wait for you to put on similar miles!
I am not liking the red as much as I thought I would. Went to buy the white/black/19/steering wheel, came home with red/black/21/steering wheel. Could not find a white with black interior!

Attachments

• IMG_7313.jpeg
    IMG_7313.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_7312.jpeg
    IMG_7312.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7311.jpeg
    IMG_7311.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7314.jpeg