Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger on new inventory MSP - am I missing anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During my one brief test drive of a 23 MS LR, from repeated rolls of of varying speeds it seemed like the MS LR destroyed my MYP. I never tried hammering it off the line though. Interesting that the Plaid was cheaper for you to insure. Can Tesla please bring back stalks and a real horn button?!? PLEASE!
I think what Tesla does is increase the torque off the line a lot more for the 3/Y P. That makes it feel even more impressive. Then the contrast between off the line and rolling performance even starker. The car just seems to flatten out after launch.

In other words the 3/Y P launch harder and then dial back to the same level as the LR. For me the boosted versions seem a lot more linear. They launch harder than the normal LR but not as aggressive as the P, but seem more "linear" in their acceleration. To me it feels more balanced when you drive it.

The P reminds me of the old US cars where they overly boosted the initial tip in of the throttle to make them feel really sporty and responsive. Not quite that bad as it at least delivers up to 60 mph anyway.

In other words the 3/Y P launch harder and then dial back to the same level as the LR. For me the boosted versions seem a lot more linear. They launch harder than the normal LR but not as aggressive as the P, but seem more "linear" in their acceleration. To me it feels more balanced when you drive it.
As someone who went from a boosted Model 3 to a Performance Model 3 I completely agree with you. The boosted 3 felt strong all round. With the P3, having gotten used to the launch, it almost feels weaker on P3 because it's a much larger difference compared to launching power.

Reactions: DayTrippin
It was a 50k difference between the MS LR and Plaid when I ordered. For me I realized the Plaid was the performance bargain of the century but it wasn't worth 50k more to me. I got the MS LR and M3 LR for the price of a Plaid and my wife and I were both happy.

I agree the long range is plenty fast anywhere but off the line. For the 20k upgrade though the Plaid is a screaming deal. The extra sweetener, besides the extra power, is track mode. I can't begin to tell you how much fun this can be in the Plaid. Set it in drift mode and find a place to play. Another thing I like is the carbon fiber (CF) interior trim if you go that route. That is about a $1,500 upgrade if you buy the parts to install it on your MS LR. Then you have the CF rear spoiler; another $1,500. So there is 3k alone in upgrades. Add a couple grand if you were to have to pay for the software for the track mode, if you could get it on the MS LR, and you are looking at about $15k for a 50% increase in HP.

Absolutely an amazing deal if if fits within your budget. All that performance and a factory warranty just blows my mind. How often can you own a car that was the quickest production automobile in the world? Still the quickest sedan I believe. You'll likely never see a Rimac on the street.
Way to make my decision harder!!

The website says the plaid has "higher thermal capacity brake pads" but are the brakes any different otherwise? I will say I thought the brakes were a weak point, but that's only when I was racing to a light and had to brake hard. The rep said the plaid were "6 piston" versus "4 piston." Maybe she was confused with the track package ceramics?

Way to make my decision harder!!

The website says the plaid has "higher thermal capacity brake pads" but are the brakes any different otherwise? I will say I thought the brakes were a weak point, but that's only when I was racing to a light and had to brake hard. The rep said the plaid were "6 piston" versus "4 piston." Maybe she was confused with the track package ceramics?
From what I understand, they have just different pads. I can't find the thread I posted a video in but it was a race between Koenigsegg, Plaid and supercharged Hayabusa. They raced 1/4 mile and other as well as a braking test from 100 mph. Basically the Plaid cleaned up except in the braking test. From 100 mph, a stock braked Plaid was only about 10' off the distance of the Koenigsegg. Now that was just one stop from triple digits but pretty impressive.

I can tell you from personal experience, as will many others, the Plaids ability to generate speed in a hurry, and do it repeatedly means you can quickly over tax the stock brakes from repeated high speed braking. A one and done emergency stop on the street the Plaid is going to do pretty well. Get into a track situation and the Plaid can start to overrun its brakes. The supposed upgraded pads I don't think are going to make a huge difference for repeated hard braking. For the vast majority of drivers who aren't often up in triple digits, I don't think you are going to have an issue.

If you do, there is always the option CCB kit to upgrade your brakes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes it has WAY more power, but you have to be... able to use it. It is on tap at any time, but the road just doesnt really allow you to use it most of the time. So day to day an lr vs a plaid is not really consequential in any way, especially stop and go part throttle as the LR has WAY more power than required for that already. When it is appropriate to get on it, the difference is night and day.

As in, when driving in town with a 100lb/ft torque car, you could benefit from 200lb/ft torque as going from 0-10mph and back can be annoying if the car strugges. Same up to 400, but to a lesser degree. When you are talking about 800+, when exactly are you going to use it in town?

On the track at 9/10ths, you WILL appreciate it though.

I "raced" a corvette last night in my wobbly MYP.
I'm no slouch to performance driving, but MY GOD this was just NUTS. Cant imagine MSP.
@scot is right - no reason for it other than the looks.
If one wants to track it - better get a proper brake job before

Yeah, something wonky was going on. I think maybe their was a problem with the website as vehicle locations were not showing up.
whats interesting is that over half the cars that were showing up last week, are no longer available in the system. Something like this happened last quarter too. Some of them may have sold, but not half over one weekend.

Depends on the color combination. Some have lower discounts but the white ext and black int has the biggest discount. For MSP is just the badge that says I own one for bragging rights. If you can afford it go for it. FYI the summer tires it comes with is awesome for looks but man using it on plaid mode. Better be ready to replace it every so often.

The discount is likely only good through delivery of 6/30/23. This is the typical Tesla end of quarter push to drive their sales numbers up. That is how it has typically worked in the past and unlikely this is any different.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yep, but you take a gamble if you don't buy now and they meet their targets. FUSC is basically worth nothing to me but might be to some. It is a double edged sword. Sure it is free, but if you use it a lot, you increase the degradation of your battery. For me 99.9% of my charging is at home.

Yep, but you take a gamble if you don't buy now and they meet their targets. FUSC is basically worth nothing to me but might be to some. It is a double edged sword. Sure it is free, but if you use it a lot, you increase the degradation of your battery. For me 99.9% of my charging is at home.
I was under the impression if you super charge only to 90% there is no greater degradation than otherwise, at least on newer batteries. Does super charging degrade battery regardless?