Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn bushings in Driver front side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been chasing a clunking noise in the front left of the car (18 M3 Stealth) and found a torn compression rod bushing and replaced that. It did improve the feel but the noise was still there. Today I found the lower control arm bushing is also torn and will have to replace that.

Anyone else seeing bushing failure on one side? Maybe I hit a really bad pothole and forgot about it?

Should note, I have MPP Sport Coilovers, compression rod inserts (after replacing torn bushings) and Upper control arms.

Attachments

• PXL_20231029_170401511.jpg
    PXL_20231029_170401511.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 101
and found a torn compression rod bushing and replaced that.
Did you replace the bushing or the whole rod? A few of us running performance suspension pieces are finding that the compression rod ball joints aren't happy when they are stressed more, and they start clunking. So, if you only replaced the bushing, pull the rod and see if the ball joint is loose-ish.

FWIW - I had all front suspension bushings replaced in my Model S this summer. An unfortunate encounter with a plastic bucket on the NJ Turnpike left me with creaks when I turned the wheel. The car had about 6 years and 96k miles.

My favorite local garage, which also does performance cars, said it’s typical as Tesla’s age. The battery weight multiplies the forces from outstanding acceleration and spirited driving.

My consolation was admiring another customer’s Shelby Cobra, in for fuel cell replacement. It was all-original, in mint condition with Carroll Shelby’s signature on the glovebox door.

Reactions: Perscitus