Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid w/25k miles already torn compression and tension arm bushings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Under high speed braking that the front end was getting a little shaky and did an inspection. Noticed that the tension arm bushings on both sides were torn, so I ordered the MPP sphericals to do a replacement. When they were swapping the arms today, seen that one of the compression arm bushings was torn, and the other was starting to get stressed/about to start tearing as well.

If you drive your car hard and it's a little wanky when you're doing heavy braking or coming into a corner hard, I would highly recommend to pop the wheel off and look at your tension arm bushings.

PXL_20230606_234841225.jpg

PXL_20230606_234931663.jpg

PXL_20230606_235041290.jpg

And the only current solution:

PXL_20230526_040202587.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and bhzmark
Thanks for the heads up, how do the new ones feel? any increase in NVH?
zero change in NVH, I think MPP's site says something about none will be expected because the plane that the bearings are on, doesn't really cause it.

as for handling, it's a massive change. even when I went into a corner too hot intentionally, it was easy to hold a line throughout. If you dive into a corner hard with the OEM setup, you get that terrible boat handling feedback. That's mostly gone now; probably 75% less.

Reactions: Cal1 and Drew-MS
Thank you so much for sharing! These bearings were our favorite upgrade during the development of the MPP.R Plaid since they really improve the driving experience and the connection between the driver and the road. The vague steering inputs combined with the slower steering rack made for an underwhelming experience when we benchmarked the stock car!

I am still surprised to see how worn those bushings were with only 25k miles. I wonder if we will be seeing a lot more of that soon.