Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn on which one to get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously it's a game of price to is it worth it.

I think the long range is a nice balance but when you look at the monthly payment, going for performance is just another 100 a month. However, first thing I'd want to do is get rid of the wheels and go down to 18's for ride comfort and what not. So right away I'd hope to sell the wheels and tires and replace with something aftermarket.

Standard range sounds nice enough. I can feel the difference in how it drives only having power in the rear. Speakers are meh but I could live with it. I drive with headphones sometimes anyway for the noise cancelling.

With the way Tesla holds value right now (and I know it won't necessarily always be this way) it's both tempting to get the base or high version since maybe I won't keep either too long.

I'm even contemplating the Y. It seems more practical but it's definitely less comfortable and a little less range. Extra storage is nice but first thing I'd do is upgrade the suspension. Don't feel I'd need to on the 3.

I'm so lost...Lord help me make a decision.

There's also the one where you just keep waiting because of a fear of buyer's remorse. This is where the idea of it holding value well comes into play, though.

What a mess...

Planning to wrap in stealth whatever I get.

Sounds like you and I were on the same boat. I was originally set on the Y, never have driven either the 3 or Y. Coming over from a RAV4 I wanted that SUV Crossover so the Y made sense. Finally after months of reading through this forum, Facebook pages, I scheduled a test drive LR 3 then LR Y. I went in with the intent of sticking with the Y. Long story short after driving both, the 3 was an absolute no brainer. The driving experience was so much better on the 3 than the Y, yes the Y is higher up but just something about it I didn’t like. After the test drive I went ahead and reserved the LR 3. Two days later I shop around for financing, my credit union ended up giving me an amount and interest rate I couldn’t resist. Called my SA the next day and changed the order to a M3P. As you stated the monthly payment difference was not going to be much different so why not get the fully loaded model.

With that being said hoping to take delivery in the next month, and I too will be going down to 18’s as I rather gain range than looks lol. Ordering T Sportline TSS wheels In 18

Long range is like a cell ph with a longer battery life . if you plan to travel long distance , it will save you time and reduce range anxiety - depending upon who is your co-passenger, range anxiety can take the fun out of long distance travel . Whatever you choose just be happy because it is what you wish to buy.

I was convinced that I would buy the y. It made the most sense, but the noise and ride made me say meh. I was also sure I wanted matte ppf - but the maintenance seemed a bit off putting (did front etc on an 3 lr). Is wearing headphones legal...?
I will be putting a tow hitch on the 3 for bikes...

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I lost count how many post I have read that people is having difficult to choose. Most people have the most difficulty between LR vs P. And I always answer the question with a question. Is the quickest 0-60 time what you are looking for. If it is, just choose M3P and you will not have the regrets. If 0-60 is not the most important factor, LR is the best choice (best bang of the buck) and you can do a boost upgrade with $2K to shave off half second. But even with boost upgrade, it is still not M3P. Now the SR is a nice choice only if you are really budget constrained, but it is missing a lot of stuff. You will choose Y if space is the most important factor.

In short, just identify one, the most important factor and you will know which one to get. I have M3P myself, FYI and the car is great, despite of a lot quality issue that I can see. And with the same money, I can could get either BMW or Lexus for much better quality. However, other cars of the similar cost can not match the performance of M3P which is the most important factor for me.

Performance. YOLO!

All seriousness. Best overall value, IMO, would be an LR. Add boost if you want to spice it up a bit. Being a car guy, I wanted the highest trim model. So, if it’s mostly just transportation, get an LR. If capability is higher on your list of considerations, get a Performance
I always feel LR AWD is the sweet spot as you get lots of power lots of range decent ride good resale and lower insurance

Reactions: moodel_tree
I always feel LR AWD is the sweet spot as you get lots of power lots of range decent ride good resale and lower insurance

Yep, all the reasons I bought my 3 LR instead of performance.

Was originally dead set on the performance, coming from a MK7.5 Golf R I wanted something better in terms of acceleration feel, but also something more comfortable and plush. Sure, the performance dominated that and checked that box immediately, but it made me seriously look at the LR as tbh I didn't really need that much power. It was incredible to experience and made me laugh giddiliy, but I really don't like the uberturbine wheels (which may be a controversial opinion!) and it just didn't seem worth the cost increase. Coming from the Golf R, which had a really harsh ride on the 19"'s prets it was on, I was shocked at how smooth and quiet the ride was on the 20"'s, shocked to be really honest. It was like a cloud compared to my R.

Now, I never really intended to go for a test drive in a performance, I wanted to go in the LR - but the guy at the show room didn't want the group of lads who'd just arrived to drive the performance, so stuck me in the performance and them in the LR instead. Given how smooth the ride on the performance was, and the interiors would be identical, I spec'd the LR with 18" wheels to go for the best ride and I'll just take the caps off for better visuals. I wasn't too keen on the 19" sport wheels either.

Plus, someone said something that made a *sugar* load of sense: why spec a wheel upgrade? Essentially you are giving the car company (as all wheel upgrades work like this) £1,500 to replace my aero wheels with the sports and to keep the aero's, whereas if you buy the car with aero's and then upgrade to wheels later you can keep the aeros and have two sets or sell the aeros and get the new wheels for a much cheaper price!

Anyway, back to the LR. The acceleration should be perfect for me, as it will be around 15% faster than what the Golf R was when it was in its launch control mode, which is perfectly fast for me. Plus, I can get the acceleration boost upgrade for £1,500 and knock a load of time off down to like 3.7 seconds, which is all the power I'd need. The extra £11k just wasn't worth it for what I'd use the car for, and the LR more than checked the boxes that I require!

Dual motor, add the acceleration boost. Smoother ride than P, still amazing performance. I wish they made the model 3 with a hatchback….I like the looks and handling better than the Y. But sometimes, though not often, i wish I had more cargo room. I don’t need all that space that the Y offers, just sometimes need to get stuff in the back that won’t fit through the trunk opening.

Based on your comments I would choose 3 over Y. Why? The Y is more practical (hitch, towing, hatchback, higher ride). But it doesn't sound like you would value those things. There are cons to the Y as well, including cabin boominess (sound). I have a 3 LR RWD and a Y LR AWD. They Y is fun in the mud and is great for camping. Otherwise I prefer the 3.

What do you think about the 7 seater feature?

Based on your comments I would not do a SR. Why? Sounds like you value the very small range difference of 3 over Y ... While technically you may not need the LR range it is just nice not to have to plug in but once a week. You also take a hit on sound, etc.

Finally 3LRAWD vs 3P ...

If you are going to do 18" would you be happy with the stock rims?

If so then that is a point in favour of the LR.

I replaced my OEM tires on my RWD LR 3 at 22k. I can't imagine how long they would have lasted on a P :). That said they where prorated under warranty so it didn't cost much to replace.

Which do I prefer to drive when I am by myself? The 3. Which do I drive when with family/take kids to school? The Y.

Good luck in choosing, I couldn't finalize on one either lol.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Obviously it's a game of price to is it worth it.

I think the long range is a nice balance but when you look at the monthly payment, going for performance is just another 100 a month. However, first thing I'd want to do is get rid of the wheels and go down to 18's for ride comfort and what not. So right away I'd hope to sell the wheels and tires and replace with something aftermarket.

Standard range sounds nice enough. I can feel the difference in how it drives only having power in the rear. Speakers are meh but I could live with it. I drive with headphones sometimes anyway for the noise cancelling.

With the way Tesla holds value right now (and I know it won't necessarily always be this way) it's both tempting to get the base or high version since maybe I won't keep either too long.

I'm even contemplating the Y. It seems more practical but it's definitely less comfortable and a little less range. Extra storage is nice but first thing I'd do is upgrade the suspension. Don't feel I'd need to on the 3.

I'm so lost...Lord help me make a decision.

There's also the one where you just keep waiting because of a fear of buyer's remorse. This is where the idea of it holding value well comes into play, though.

What a mess...

Planning to wrap in stealth whatever I get.
I had a base SR Model 3 before needing a 7 seater and buying a Model Y.

sincerly, the supercharger network was enough for road trip stops every 2 hours during summer times. If you plan for ski trips during winter, get the long range.

the Model 3 has more efficiency if you have a heavy foot on the highway.

there is no more efficient car on the road right now than a LR Model 3. It is unbeatable.
with the Y your trade off loss of efficiency with the drag coefficient being higher for space.
with the Performance, you trade off range for performance.
with the LR, you trade off money for range.

I loved more the driving dynamics of my Model 3 compared to my Model Y in tight turns at high speed.

I sold my Model 3 at a $1000 loss after 2 years and 30,000 miles of usage

Performance. YOLO!

All seriousness. Best overall value, IMO, would be an LR. Add boost if you want to spice it up a bit. Being a car guy, I wanted the highest trim model. So, if it’s mostly just transportation, get an LR. If capability is higher on your list of considerations, get a Performance
Largely that the middle trim has the speaker upgrade, seats, steering is heated now right? And awd with more range.

Sounds like you and I were on the same boat. I was originally set on the Y, never have driven either the 3 or Y. Coming over from a RAV4 I wanted that SUV Crossover so the Y made sense. Finally after months of reading through this forum, Facebook pages, I scheduled a test drive LR 3 then LR Y. I went in with the intent of sticking with the Y. Long story short after driving both, the 3 was an absolute no brainer. The driving experience was so much better on the 3 than the Y, yes the Y is higher up but just something about it I didn’t like. After the test drive I went ahead and reserved the LR 3. Two days later I shop around for financing, my credit union ended up giving me an amount and interest rate I couldn’t resist. Called my SA the next day and changed the order to a M3P. As you stated the monthly payment difference was not going to be much different so why not get the fully loaded model.

With that being said hoping to take delivery in the next month, and I too will be going down to 18’s as I rather gain range than looks lol. Ordering T Sportline TSS wheels In 18
I think the range is lost from aerodynamics, right? I wonder what is gained from the sportline wheels but I'm thinking them or martian as well.

Do you expect to sell the performance wheels and tires? What's your plan with that?

I went with the performance over the LR. My reasoning in the end was that if the day comes when I *need* the extra handful of miles that the LR provides, I've chosen the wrong car to begin with. The off the line performance of my M3P is something I benefit from everyday. The extra miles on the LR would be something I benefit from MAYBE once or twice a year.

Everyone's situation is different though.

Long range is like a cell ph with a longer battery life . if you plan to travel long distance , it will save you time and reduce range anxiety - depending upon who is your co-passenger, range anxiety can take the fun out of long distance travel . Whatever you choose just be happy because it is what you wish to buy.
fair point. Less stops. It has all the basics and longer drives are less common. Slower charging at super chargers on the standard range as well. Just a bit.

I had a base SR Model 3 before needing a 7 seater and buying a Model Y.

sincerly, the supercharger network was enough for road trip stops every 2 hours during summer times. If you plan for ski trips during winter, get the long range.

the Model 3 has more efficiency if you have a heavy foot on the highway.

there is no more efficient car on the road right now than a LR Model 3. It is unbeatable.
with the Y your trade off loss of efficiency with the drag coefficient being higher for space.
with the Performance, you trade off range for performance.
with the LR, you trade off money for range.

I loved more the driving dynamics of my Model 3 compared to my Model Y in tight turns at high speed.

I sold my Model 3 at a $1000 loss after 2 years and 30,000 miles of usage
Good deal! True about ride quality. I think it's better and more fun in the 3. Softer ride for sure but also more nimble and quick. I think the performance mostly loses range to the wheels, right? And tires?

I drive a model Y that my family has pretty often and it's the long range. I rarely get the chance or ever feel the need for the performance speed but it just sounds nice and fun to have, I guess. And it would sell for higher on the used market as well, I just don't know if it would even out after swapping to after market wheels and what not. I don't want this to be some big sunk cost in a couple years.

I was convinced that I would buy the y. It made the most sense, but the noise and ride made me say meh. I was also sure I wanted matte ppf - but the maintenance seemed a bit off putting (did front etc on an 3 lr). Is wearing headphones legal...?
I will be putting a tow hitch on the 3 for bikes...
I think matte PPF is very low maintainence. That's what everyone says but Matte wrap is not so easy. Did you get this information clearly distinguished between wrap and PPF?

I think matte PPF is very low maintainence. That's what everyone says but Matte wrap is not so easy. Did you get this information clearly distinguished between wrap and PPF?
Satin ppf is more work in that it's less durable and there are certain products that will ruin it by making it glossy. (I read - never owned). Like I said I ended up getting 2.5$k of partial glossy ppf - part of that is not wanting to spend 6k on matte

I lost count how many post I have read that people is having difficult to choose. Most people have the most difficulty between LR vs P. And I always answer the question with a question. Is the quickest 0-60 time what you are looking for. If it is, just choose M3P and you will not have the regrets. If 0-60 is not the most important factor, LR is the best choice (best bang of the buck) and you can do a boost upgrade with $2K to shave off half second. But even with boost upgrade, it is still not M3P. Now the SR is a nice choice only if you are really budget constrained, but it is missing a lot of stuff. You will choose Y if space is the most important factor.

In short, just identify one, the most important factor and you will know which one to get. I have M3P myself, FYI and the car is great, despite of a lot quality issue that I can see. And with the same money, I can could get either BMW or Lexus for much better quality. However, other cars of the similar cost can not match the performance of M3P which is the most important factor for me.
When did you get yours? You think quality is less of an issue now? I've seen recent builds and they seem perfect sometimes and I'm very detail aware.

You do a good job with the questions and they are all valid. I struglle with the P and LR because 2K seems like such a scam because it means the LR could have been that fast the whole time but they disable that speed with software so it feels like a rip off to upgrade. But I get it and don't necessarily disagree with their choice to do that.

So in some sense, it almost just feels practical to not spend the 2k for the boost and use that towards the performance and get more speed and the brakes, etc. But then I'll wanna switch out the wheels and tires for some all seasons and 18" because I like speed and comfort.

Reactions: OrthoSurg