Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Naw - this WILL be happening. I have to send my car back after an awful service, and an awful experience at the last service (I felt like I was back in my small-town, dealer garage, and getting taken advantage of). Long story, but the service was the worst I've experience with a car almost ever, and nothing was completed or completed right. The manager has stepped in and is ensuring a car for me, to be picked up during off hours on Sunday. They have said they will make this right, but that remains to be seen.

Just arrived in Windsor. Will update the first leg of my trip a bit later.

Good luck with that. I was scheduled to get a P85+ loaner from Mississauga but ended up with an ICE from Enterprise...

Naw - this WILL be happening. I have to send my car back after an awful service, and an awful experience at the last service (I felt like I was back in my small-town, dealer garage, and getting taken advantage of). Long story, but the service was the worst I've experience with a car almost ever, and nothing was completed or completed right. The manager has stepped in and is ensuring a car for me, to be picked up during off hours on Sunday. They have said they will make this right, but that remains to be seen.

Sorry to hear that. I am looking forward to your Chicago trip details, however.

OK - FIRST LEG TRIP UPDATE

I pulled into Windsor Comfort Inn (Ambassador Bridge) about an hour ago...and lucky I did - I pulled in with 0 KM remaining on the car!

I started off at home with a full charge for my drive to Toronto. We had a visit at the Hospital for Sick Children for my son's weekly infusion so I parked at the Yorkdale Mall in the Tesla underground parking, plugged the car in, and headed downtown on the subway. The underground garage is closed until 9:30 AM, but we just told them we were heading down to Tesla to charge for a while and they let us in with no issues (we were quite thankful, as it was only 8:45 am).

I returned in the afternoon to a full charge (434 rated KM) for my journey to Windsor. I took the advice given here and limited my speed and drafted trucks where I could. I didn't put Range Mode on until the end of the trip (I never see much difference with it on or off), and kept the heat at about 20 degrees. I found a following buddy (large transport - with a TRI-CORP logo on it, a red GREAT DANE badge, truck number TRI759 - I had to stare at it a long time! I memorized the license plate as well, in case you're wondering :))

About halfway though my trip, things were going very well. Rated Range and Projected Range all had me making it to Windsor with about 35 KM to spare. But then the storm hit - high winds, icy roads, snow, slushy portions on the 401. And did I mention a decent headwind? Rated Range and Projected Range dropped quickly and I started to get nervous.
I lost my driving buddy - they were driving faster than I wanted to, given the conditions - so I was on my own. Luckily, the speed of traffic dropped significantly, so I was able to comfortably draft a few trucks going 87-90 km per hour, then all the way down to 65 km/h for the last 50 KM. That helped my range considerably. Temperature outside was -4 (-10 with Windchill)

Even with range mode off, the cabin got a bit cold due to the draft coming in my triangular window (a long and frustrating story from Tesla Service in Mississauga that is being rectified - again). The higher winds made the cold draft come in a lot. I was able to drive with Range Mode off for most of the trip, I put it on with 10km rated range to go because I got a bit nervous ;-)

My last 50 KM, I showed 50 KM rated range, and 50 KM projected range. I was starting to worry, and hoping that the hotel had set aside the charge spot for me (I called ahead to request it). With 0 km showing (probably -3km range because it said CHARGE NOW for a few KM after 0), I rolled into the hotel to see my spot blocked off and ready for me. She's outside charging up now, I'm inside warming up. A great start to my adventure, and only slightly stressful.

If I were to do it again, I would forgo the adventurous part of the trip and drop into Chatham for 1/2 hour or so charge. It donned on me that I'd be in trouble if there were an accident/traffic jam up ahead, or that I would be in trouble if something were to happen to me in my car. I'll play it safer next time, for sure. But - I made it!

Was so nice to be driving an Electric Vehicle. On the way, I was listening to the Toronto News about high Cancer-Causing toxins in the air near an Etobicoke community - caused by high emissions from the 401/427 corridor nearby. Was happy to be doing my bit to take those emissions out of the equation.

On my way to Chicago area tomorrow. Will update when I can. Thanks again to everyone for the help and planning along the way!

IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1897.jpg

Road Trip Prime Directive: Always maintain a 30 km range buffer. If you're coming up short of that find a place to charge - sooner rather than later! You just never know what you might run into (as you did). Really eliminates the stress!

Glad you made it okay!!!

Great to hear you made it! I agree stopping in Chatham would have eliminated the stress and restored your safety buffer. Those are impressive energy stats for winter, but all bets are off if you hit a storm.

The next leg to the Saint Joesph Supercharger is shorter and easily in range - should be smooth sailing from here.

I'm already at about 5,200. And I have to range charge most days due to the amount I'm driving each day (as you can see after only driving for 3 weeks!)
I'll update my range charge stats once I hit 20,000.

I'm at about 22,000 km and can get 401 km. It sounds like the degradation does indeed level out after an initial faster drop.

The Superchargers will make this SO much easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. Was close. But an adventure and I got there! But never again!!

Road Trip Prime Directive: Always maintain a 30 km range buffer. If you're coming up short of that find a place to charge - sooner rather than later! You just never know what you might run into (as you did). Really eliminates the stress!

Glad you made it okay!!!

I'm already at about 5,200. And I have to range charge most days due to the amount I'm driving each day (as you can see after only driving for 3 weeks!)

At least the frequent range charges will help keep your pack in balance. I have a sneaking suspicion that Mike and Doug are seeing lower numbers because of balancing, not degradation.

Doug, could you add this thread to the road trip sticky?

At least the frequent range charges will help keep your pack in balance. I have a sneaking suspicion that Mike and Doug are seeing lower numbers because of balancing, not degradation.

Unlike with the Roadster, I have seen no evidence of Range charging affecting the numbers. My recent road trip, where I charged to 100% several times, had no impact.

Just like the Roadster, I have seen evidence that you get a little higher Range numbers if you charge at lower current. (396 km @ 70A instead of 401 km @ 40A.)

Doug, could you add this thread to the road trip sticky?

Done.

Update - Road Trip - Toronto to Chicago

Well...it was the coffee that almost did me in. And the wine, I guess.

I started off the day with more than enough charge to make it to the first supercharger in St. Joseph, IN. I didn't do the FULL charge - just 98%. 90% as soon as I arrived, then added the other 8 in the morning to warm up the batter and get ready to go. Distance to the supercharger was 304 KM. I charged to 424. No problem, right?

WRONG! I made the mistake of trying to drink the hotel coffee in the morning. I love that they kept my charging spot open for my arrival. But I hate that their morning coffee tasted like it was filtered through dirty socks. So, when I set out for my morning commute to St. Joseph, I kept my eye out for a Starbucks. Or Tim Hortons. Just. Needed. Coffee!

I was stop and go, looking this way and that, darting across lanes when I saw something, and finally pulled into a Starbucks. Coffee problem solved. I took my time and the battery got a tad cold. And the cabin. So I heated the cabin. And then I needed wine (right?!) so I stopped into the Duty Free before crossing the border. In there, it took a while to decide, and my battery got colder, and my cabin did as well (it was -4 outside). Don't worry. I heated it up again.

Then I hit the road. My range was down, obviously, but I wasn't worried. I drove the speed limit to the charger. It's easier to follow the speed limit in the States, it seems. Not many people passing me. Was a nice drive. But I was close to the zero mark again. This time, however, I wasn't worried in the least. I kept the heat up to a nice temperature, no range mode - just drove and watched my projected and rated range. No trouble.

It was my first supercharge! And it was pretty cool - it charged at 648 km/hour for the first 1/2 hour, then tapered off. I sat in the car for a while to watch. And wow, the car was crazy. It was loud and buzzing quite a bit. I felt like if I stayed in it much longer, I'd come out transformed into some sort of super-hero with crazy electrical powers. I'll let you know if that's the case, but I feel quite normal now. Not sure if the humming and buzzing is normal, but the charge was super-fast.

IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg

I headed over to check out something to eat. There was a nice bakery nearby, but I stopped into a place called Mo's, only because I didn't know what it was and wanted to see what they had to offer. And I was looking forward to the bakery. When I walked into Mo's, all the staff immediately yelled "WELCOME TO MO'S!" I looked around - they were talking to me, of course. I said thanks. And they stood waiting patiently for me to come in and make my order. I felt I HAD TO order, so I did. Plate of nachos, which were quite good.

The guy at the counter started chatting with me, and I told him I was just there to charge up. He said "Wow - someone's actually using those things?" and I told him all about the car, range, etc. He was quite excited to hear about the Tesla!

I charged up to about 330 km, and have just arrived at the Highland Supercharger in Illinois. An uneventful trip. I opened it up a bit and had some fun on the way here. Probably drove a bit fast, but not too fast, and had a great time.

IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1942.jpg

Will be heading back after my meeting tomorrow. Will check in when and where I can.

Thanks for documenting the trip, sounds like a great adventure and your notes will make it easier for others to drive it.

Prevailing winds generally blow from the west, so with any luck you should see better mileage on the way back.