Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Claryville, NY next month.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did annoy my family during a drive from Montreal to Montebello by having waypoints along the river to keep me on 'back roads' instead of the highway... waypoints worked well for 'forcing' the route-- but did 'backseat' didn't appreciate the nav indicating '15 min' to what they thought was the final destination
Just tell them to enjoy the scenery and stop looking at the Nav and stressing about unimportant stuff 😉

Reactions: Smytty
Planning a trip with a Tesla is so uneventful due to the proliferation of chargers, I honestly don't know why threads like this are started in the first place....🤔 .

My car probably has even less range than yours and I don't stress about the range in the slightest.

Unless you have time I only charge enough with a 10% buffer to get to the next SC. It's just a waste of time going higher than 80% to 90% unless you're trying to kill time deliberately

I did annoy my family during a drive from Montreal to Montebello by having waypoints along the river to keep me on 'back roads' instead of the highway... waypoints worked well for 'forcing' the route-- but did 'backseat' didn't appreciate the nav indicating '15 min' to what they thought was the final destination

You should already know the answer: listen to the car, it will tell you when it is ready to go, based on its optimization to minimize total trip time. Overrule it if you feel strongly about it.. for adverse weather, a desired detour, higher SoC upon arrival, etc.
Great points all around. Thank you! I think my strategy might be to start off at 90% as my wall connector is not metered in my building (read: free juice). That way we can get a good distance on our first leg. Then probably keep it in the 70-80% at the superchargers. All of this will also be dependant on weather, HVAC running, etc.

Great points all around. Thank you! I think my strategy might be to start off at 90% as my wall connector is not metered in my building (read: free juice). That way we can get a good distance on our first leg. Then probably keep it in the 70-80% at the superchargers. All of this will also be dependant on weather, HVAC running, etc.
That's exactly what I do. Charging my car is practically free at home too. It costs only $6 for 400 km (indicated range).

Reactions: Vawlkus
My only issue with any routing is dependent upon what happens at the border. While not a bad plan to charge before going across the border, if you get stuck in an hour or more worth of border traffic, you might have to do a little creative replanning. Thankfully there are options on both sides - probably because of border traffic.

I'll say that there's a lot more options than when I first made trips along this way back in 2016 - it's opened up options as opposed to strictly keeping to one route (and almost running out of battery along the way). Note: add more charge than required as it's hilly and if you combine that with weather, it can be close.

Also have some secondary charging apps - ChargePoint, Plugshare, ChargeHub in case you need to use alternate chargers at your destination or along route.

My only issue with any routing is dependent upon what happens at the border. While not a bad plan to charge before going across the border, if you get stuck in an hour or more worth of border traffic, you might have to do a little creative replanning. Thankfully there are options on both sides - probably because of border traffic.

I'll say that there's a lot more options than when I first made trips along this way back in 2016 - it's opened up options as opposed to strictly keeping to one route (and almost running out of battery along the way). Note: add more charge than required as it's hilly and if you combine that with weather, it can be close.

Also have some secondary charging apps - ChargePoint, Plugshare, ChargeHub in case you need to use alternate chargers at your destination or along route.
✅ on all counts. I have all the "other apps". Bonnie (partner-in-antics) has also insisted that we charge more than needed.