Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Teaneck, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't have a Tesla yet, but trying to get a sense of route planning for routes that I would typically drive. I have a relative that lives in Teaneck, NJ which is about 790 km (according to Google Maps).
According to EV Trip planner, using a Model X 90 (there is no option for a 100) - if I am reading it correctly, it suggests that I drive until Buffalo and then stop at the Supercharger in Buffalo for a 4 min. charge (? !), then drive to to Syracuse for an 18 minute charge, and then Binghamton for a 46 minute charge. Granted I have set my "buffer charge" for 15%, but does this sound too conservative? My basic question really is, have people drive from Toronto to Syracuse without charging? Is that routine in a MX 90 or higher? Thx in advance.

Cutting it pretty close trying to get all the way to Syracuse. Its going to depend on exactly where in Toronto you're coming from, the weather and your driving style. Good news is though that there are lots of other superchargers on the way so you could play it by ear. If it looks like you're not going to make it, or if you need a break you can easily just stop at Waterloo or York and then at Binghamton too. Should be a very easy trip!

Don't have a Tesla yet, but trying to get a sense of route planning for routes that I would typically drive. I have a relative that lives in Teaneck, NJ which is about 790 km (according to Google Maps).
According to EV Trip planner, using a Model X 90 (there is no option for a 100) - if I am reading it correctly, it suggests that I drive until Buffalo and then stop at the Supercharger in Buffalo for a 4 min. charge (? !), then drive to to Syracuse for an 18 minute charge, and then Binghamton for a 46 minute charge. Granted I have set my "buffer charge" for 15%, but does this sound too conservative? My basic question really is, have people drive from Toronto to Syracuse without charging? Is that routine in a MX 90 or higher? Thx in advance.

Hey Birdman.

Have you made the trip before? If so, the old Hwy 17, new I-86 is a great ride. I lived just outside of Teaneck for 7 years and this was my preferred route. Just last night I was discussing this route with @mrElbe. I think there is a new Tesla charger that is open, although the map isn't updated. @mrElbe can tell you more and give his thoughts on some viable options, but that would be my route preference, if viable of course.

Trying to minimize charging stops is not advisable. You spend more time topping up that last 20%. Charge early and often gets you there the quickest and safest in regard to charge reserve. EVtripplanner assumes that you have charging opportunity at your destination. I would get a good charge in Paramus. Also 15% is cutting it close. I plan for 20% just in case of detour or head wind or rain.

I've done the trip to NJ a few times (Toronto to Parsippany area). I would warn you that traffic through Buffalo customs can take as much as an hour, which on a hot day will run down the battery more than expected. I usually leave with about 90% from Toronto, charge briefly Grimsby, Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghampton (the longest stretch because of the mountains), Tannersville (and some shopping), then into NJ. New Superchargers have opened since my last trip which would alter my plans such I would consider bypassing Buffalo (Rochester/Victor and Waterloo NY).

Things to note: Buffalo's SC is hidden behind a bank in a plaza (avoid the TGI Friday's - it's super slow service and requires getting across a rather busy road), Binghampton has a nice restaurant adjacent (big portions, so be careful), Syracuse - watch out for the entrance to the hotel where it's located - I got tricked because the maps didn't keep up, so had to circle around (not much around there). I would charge to 100% at Tannersville because of how far the next spot is in NJ. The Parisppany SC can't open soon enough.

I'd also advise looking at street views of these locations prior to taking the trip just to be familiar where everything is.