Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total loss [Is this totaled?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging by the rocks the vehicle landed on, I can’t believe there was no battery damage. Was this confirmed? The way to total a Tesla is to damage the battery pack. /s Adds a cool $25K right away.
Apparently no battery damage.... BUT i was just informed its actually going on a frame rack today to measure the frame due to "questionable frame damage" so it still maybe totaled depending on that.

Four months ... oh man! Yeah, not good as new. Fix it, sell it. Then move on to a new one.
Get a new one?

I mean - people have teeth and stuff replaced all of the time...however they are concerned about replacing car parts?
We should sell our face once we get new teeth (grill)
We should sell our head when we get new hair (roof).
We should sell our eyes when they get new makeup/lashes ( paint job).
We should sell our body parts when we get a new tan ( bondo ).
We should sell our body when we get a new heart (engine)
We should sell our body when we get a new kidney (oil filter)
We should sell our body when we get a new lung (air filter)
We should sell our legs/arms when we get an artificial limbs (new suspension).

Do whatever you want to me - but my car has to be perfect <----- some people say.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
Four months ... oh man! Yeah, not good as new. Fix it, sell it. Then move on to a new one.

It WILL be good as new. Tesla won't repair any parts. A Tesla certified repair shop WON"T repair any parts either. They don't want to lose that expensive Tesla repair license. They will replace everything.

I've been there and done that. As long as the frame isn't mis-aligned...every replacement part will fit perfectly. You would have to be there to understand. I was there.

It's amazing that there isn't more damage. I mean - no glass broke or cracked - even after being pulled out of the ditch. .

Teslas are built like tanks. I wouldn't sell it. Once it is fixed...I would live to tell the story about how perfect it is after an accident.

Get a new one?

I mean - people have teeth and stuff replaced all of the time...however they are concerned about replacing car parts?
We should sell our face once we get new teeth (grill)
We should sell our head when we get new hair (roof).
We should sell our eyes when they get new makeup/lashes ( paint job).
We should sell our body parts when we get a new tan ( bondo ).
We should sell our body when we get a new heart (engine)
We should sell our body when we get a new kidney (oil filter)
We should sell our body when we get a new lung (air filter)
We should sell our legs/arms when we get an artificial limbs (new suspension).

Do whatever you want to me - but my car has to be perfect <----- some people say.

A car isn't the human body. It can't heal and regenerate itself. There are countless stories out there of cars repaired after moderate accidents that are never the same again. Rattles and paint matching, quality are just a few. There's a reason that accidents lower a vehicle's resale value.

A car isn't the human body. It can't heal and regenerate itself. There are countless stories out there of cars repaired after moderate accidents that are never the same again. Rattles and paint matching, quality are just a few. There's a reason that accidents lower a vehicle's resale value.

Countless ICE stories - Yes. I agree.

Obviously most people haven't had a Tesla in an accident. It's a different process. A totally different process.

How many ICE car makers must certify a body shop to repair their vehicles? How many ICE car repair shops pay tens of thousands of dollars for a license to repair their cars. I've been through the process. I have had many many vehicles repaired in my lifetime. It's nothing like the Tesla replacement process. Thats what it's called. It's not repair process - it's a replacement process. If anything is bent even in the slightest of margins...throw it away and order a new one - install it per our instructions - certify it - be liable to lose your license if its not done up to Tesla's standards.

BTW...my post was meant to be humorous.

Last edited:
Countless ICE stories - Yes. I agree.

Obviously most people haven't had a Tesla in an accident. It's a different process. A totally different process.

How many ICE car makers must certify a body shop to repair their vehicles? How many ICE car repair shops pay tens of thousands of dollars for a license to repair their cars. I've been through the process. I have had many many vehicles repaired in my lifetime. It's nothing like the Tesla replacement process. Thats what it's called. It's not repair process - it's a replacement process. If anything is bent even in the slightest of margins...throw it away and order a new one - install it per our instructions - certify it - be liable to lose your license if its not done up to Tesla's standards.

BTW...my post was meant to be humorous.
My Model 3 was side swiped about 18 months ago. The paint job is good, but spot body work will never be perfect and you can tell that paint has different metallic fleck and the orange peel does match the oem painted panels. Also, my insurance company (State Farm) wasn't willing to pay for a new bumper so there's a little gap between the rear 1/4 panel and the bumper cover that's not present on the other side. My wheel was also damaged and insurance refused to pay for a new wheel since it was just cosmetic. After a 2nd wheel refinish it still doesn't perfectly match the other 3 wheels. No matter how good the shop is and what certification it has from Tesla, it still comes down to dealing with what an insurance company will pay for repairs.

My Model 3 was side swiped about 18 months ago. The paint job is good, but spot body work will never be perfect and you can tell that paint has different metallic fleck and the orange peel does match the oem painted panels. Also, my insurance company (State Farm) wasn't willing to pay for a new bumper so there's a little gap between the rear 1/4 panel and the bumper cover that's not present on the other side. My wheel was also damaged and insurance refused to pay for a new wheel since it was just cosmetic. After a 2nd wheel refinish it still doesn't perfectly match the other 3 wheels. No matter how good the shop is and what certification it has from Tesla, it still comes down to dealing with what an insurance company will pay for repairs.

I don't understand that at all.

The insurance company is presented with a repair cost by the adjuster before any work is done. Insurance companies don't itemize parts in a repair. They will repair or total a vehicle based on the adjuster's repair price up front before any penny is exchanged. Did the adjuster include the bumper in the price? They had to.

Something is really wrong with your situation.

The bumper on a Tesla is less than $400 from Tesla. No insurance company would balk at that kind of price. There is something else going on with your situation.

Something isn't right with your situation. You should never have to deal with the price of anything with the insurance company.

I even filed for de-valuation and got $9.2k cash a year after the repair was done. You should take your vehicle to Tesla and show them. They will force the insurance company and repair shop to get things done right. I've seen it. Oh well - I feel so sorry for your situation. I hope things get better for you.

Wait!! - you are in Illinois. OMG I could certainly help you with that. Just let me know. I know how to do this - totally above board.

Last edited:
If your bumper is damaged and the shop didn't replace the bumper, I imagine you took it to the insurance company's shop and not a Tesla certified shop. Tesla or a certified shop would just replace the whole bumper, they won't do half way repairs.
Here in California, the insurance company can't force you to use their shop, you can pick your own shop. You may have to pay extra however for OEM parts, but they can't force you to use only their shops or aftermarket parts or uncertified repair methods.

Reactions: gtgarner
My P3D was hit from behind in 2019. The person who hit me had an insurance company that wanted to total the car. I told them - NO Way and that I also had a software package worth 12k married to the vin and they decided to repair it. It took 7 months and I had Tesla come out to the shop and verify the repairs. They did and it was returned better than it was before it was hit.

Attached is the adjusters estimate. See how detailed it is? Open the PDF file.

Look at how small the damage looked from the outside.

car.jpg

Attachments

• Estimate Edited.pdf
    120.4 KB · Views: 60
I don't understand that at all.

The insurance company is presented with a repair cost by the adjuster before any work is done. Insurance companies don't itemize parts in a repair. They will repair or total a vehicle based on the adjuster's repair price up front before any penny is exchanged. Did the adjuster include the bumper in the price? They had to.

Something is really wrong with your situation.

The bumper on a Tesla is less than $400 from Tesla. No insurance company would balk at that kind of price. There is something else going on with your situation.

Something isn't right with your situation. You should never have to deal with the price of anything with the insurance company.

I even filed for de-valuation and got $9.2k cash a year after the repair was done. You should take your vehicle to Tesla and show them. They will force the insurance company and repair shop to get things done right. I've seen it. Oh well - I feel so sorry for your situation. I hope things get better for you.

Wait!! - you are in Illinois. OMG I could certainly help you with that. Just let me know. I know how to do this - totally above board.

Body shop (not State Farm preferred) came up with estimate. The original estimate never included the rear bumper as it only had cosmetic damage. The State Farm adjuster wrote a far lower estimate than the body shop estimate. The Model 3 rear bumper cover doesn't attach at the rear 1/4 panel like most rear bumper covers. There's a plastic tab that's molded in the cover that is supposed to hold it in place and there's no physical screw that secures it. It's a crappy design that saves the cost of 2 screws. Body shop didn't realize that the bumper wouldn't attach back flush until everything was repainted and State Farm refused to pay to buy and paint another bumper cover.

The problem with my situation is that State Farm has tightened its belt on what they are willing to pay for with collision repairs just like many other insurance companies have. In fact, State Farm even refused to pay to have clear coat applied properly all the way into the door jambs. I had to come out of pocket to repair it correctly. Needless to say, I no longer have State Farm insurance.

If your bumper is damaged and the shop didn't replace the bumper, I imagine you took it to the insurance company's shop and not a Tesla certified shop. Tesla or a certified shop would just replace the whole bumper, they won't do half way repairs.
Here in California, the insurance company can't force you to use their shop, you can pick your own shop. You may have to pay extra however for OEM parts, but they can't force you to use only their shops or aftermarket parts or uncertified repair methods.

I would never take it to a shop that my insurance company "recommended". Nothing about my repair was Tesla specific. It was simple body work, blend paint and refinish wheel. I took it to the best auto body shop in the area that I've used for over 2 decades. They do fantastic work. They wanted a new bumper cover and State Farm wouldn't cover it. They wanted a new wheel and State Farm wouldn't cover it. The problem is what State Farm is willing to actually pay for repairs. (see post above)

Body shop (not State Farm preferred) came up with estimate. The original estimate never included the rear bumper as it only had cosmetic damage. The State Farm adjuster wrote a far lower estimate than the body shop estimate. The Model 3 rear bumper cover doesn't attach at the rear 1/4 panel like most rear bumper covers. There's a plastic tab that's molded in the cover that is supposed to hold it in place and there's no physical screw that secures it. It's a crappy design that saves the cost of 2 screws. Body shop didn't realize that the bumper wouldn't attach back flush until everything was repainted and State Farm refused to pay to buy and paint another bumper cover.

The problem with my situation is that State Farm has tightened its belt on what they are willing to pay for with collision repairs just like many other insurance companies have. In fact, State Farm even refused to pay to have clear coat applied properly all the way into the door jambs. I had to come out of pocket to repair it correctly. Needless to say, I no longer have State Farm insurance.

I see.

I just can't see that State Farm paid for anything without an adjuster.

Glad it's over for you.

I would never take it to a shop that my insurance company "recommended". Nothing about my repair was Tesla specific. It was simple body work, blend paint and refinish wheel. I took it to the best auto body shop in the area that I've used for over 2 decades. They do fantastic work. They wanted a new bumper cover and State Farm wouldn't cover it. They wanted a new wheel and State Farm wouldn't cover it. The problem is what State Farm is willing to actually pay for repairs. (see post above)

Oh well... that just doesn't make sense - as an adjuster was NEVER involved.

Glad its over.