Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled Tesla =*-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hire a tow truck (if necessary) and remove your car from that shop.

Then send them -- certified mail -- a polite letter explaining that you were told one price, and then charged for something you were not told about and did not agree to, and you won't pay the excess charges.

Most scammers back down when they see that you'll take them to court. If they try to prevent you from removing your property from their lot, *then* you have a bigger problem and will have to sue them, but they probably won't.

The fee is supposedly $2500 for the estimate, flat fee, I pay my $1,000 deductible and insurance covers the rest. Lo and behold, they charge a total of $3800, most of it in storage fees, in excess of $300 a day! Why?
Because they're scammers. They quoted you one price and then attempted to charge you a higher price without notice. That's dishonest and illegal. So yes, it's the shop whose head you need to tear off, and I just told you how to do it.

A little off topic but a Baby doesn’t mean SUV. I have 3 kids and the S works great!

I'd love to, but the S is too big for my garage. (I live in a historic home at the moment; it's just a 1 car garage.) Plus my wife and I are tall people so it'd be easier on her back to not have to bend over trying to situate things.

If there really is a law about those fees, then you should have a case in small claims, or there might be a regulatory agency who would be interested.

Yes, it's called the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. I think they're relatively new and don't have any real teeth yet though. From what I read about them, they'll just call the shop and try to negotiate the fees. Then if they are unsuccessful it's on me to sue the shop. I don't have the time or money to sue over $1750. It would cost me more than that to do it. And I think that's why they get away with their scam.

Take it to Tesla's own body shop that is just a few minutes north of the Orange County border:

Josh Enriquez | Collision Repair Estimator
View attachment 417518
3880 W. Valley Blvd, Pomona, CA 91789
m. (310) 365-0064 | [email protected]

Here’s what I posed on the Tesla Motors Club Model S forum in January after they replaced the rear bumer, rear valence, and chrome strips on our 2015 P85D in 5 business days !!!

Here's my previous post on my experience: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/awesome-accident-repairs-at-teslas-socal-company-body-shop.139737/#post-3316275

I wish I could've. I called and they said they couldn't take me. Literally everyone except this place that was within a reasonable range was booked. Hopefully in the future Tesla is better about getting parts out. Or maybe an aftermarket will spring up that can salvage parts from other totaled Teslas that would be able to help speed up repair times. (You know that doesn't actually sound like a bad idea! I better get started on that one!)

UPDATE:

The person at my insurance I was working with escalated the situation to a manager, and they decided to refund me the total cost. So I guess situation resolved. But this shop is still getting the worst Yelp review, and any other places I can review auto shops.

As a reminder, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE YOUR TESLA TO CITY COLLISION CENTER IN STANTON, CA. I DON'T CARE IF IT'S THE ONLY SHOP IN THE AREA THAT CAN TAKE YOU!!!! FIND ANOTHER SHOP! OR JUST LEAVE IT IN YOUR GARAGE, JUST DO NOT TAKE IT TO THIS PLACE!

I also had bad experience with City Collision.

When I bought the model 3 at the Costa Mesa location, there was a few things I had them put on the due bill to be fixed -- paint, gap, etc. They contracted those out to City Collision, and a week later, none of those problems were fixed, and some even made worse. They had to have the shop next to the Costa Mesa SC fix them again a month later.

Reactions: hcook24