Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled Tesla =*-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

So, I totaled my Model 3. I'm super heartbroken because I've only had it for 6 months after waiting 3 years. I also just began to upgrade it (bought the Evannex frunk/trunk lifts, new tint, etc.) so that part sucks. My wife and I are having a child, so I'll be getting her a mom car (SUV) instead of another Tesla. I figure in a couple of years I can get back in the game.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. Here's the scoop: I'm based in Orange County, CA and there was nowhere that could accept my car to do a teardown estimate. If you're not from OC, it's pretty common to own a Tesla out here, so a lot of places are booked because they take forever to send parts. Anyway, I found a place that would take it that wasn't 100 miles away. Remember the name of this shop: City Collision Center in Stanton, CA.

So the place is Tesla certified. Great, and they have room for me (you'll see why in a bit). Got my car there and they say it'll take 3 days to do an estimate. Not sure why, but I figure whatever. The fee is supposedly $2500 for the estimate, flat fee, I pay my $1,000 deductible and insurance covers the rest. Lo and behold, they charge a total of $3800, most of it in storage fees, in excess of $300 a day! Why? Because they consider ALL Teslas "exotic", and charge the same rate for Lambos, Maseratis, Porsche, etc. Am I insane for thinking this is outrageous? His explanation was that Teslas required special care to store, but I got there to get my belongings, and it was basically sitting on bricks outside collecting dust. So my insurance (Mercury) says that they are unable to accommodate the full costs, and did a breakdown of the other places in the area and determined they'd cover $65 a day based on the average going rate. This is all based on a new law from back in Sept. that limits what collision centers/body shops are allowed to charge for fees. That stuck me with about $1700 in fees that they're deducting from my settlement. Am I getting screwed by my insurance or the shop? I need to figure out whose head to tear off.

Moral of the story: don't crash your Tesla. If you do, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, take your car to City Collision Center in Stanton, CA. If I can save one person from the nightmare I just went through, it would make me happy.

Give them a check for the outrageous fees, then immediately call the bank and cancel it. Hey, they are ripping you off, so rip them back a little.

I'm all about capitalism and making money for me, but this is a blatant rip off because they are charging such ridiculous fees.

In California, if you write a NSF check or put a bank stop on a valid obligation, you may be responsible for 3X the written amount, plus any court costs. It is considered a Weasle move. Maybe the same thing for blocking a valid credit card charge.

You cannot simply buy something or incur a service then not pay the bill because you just want to get out of the payment. You have an obligation to pay if the charge is legal.

In California, if you write a NSF check or put a bank stop on a valid obligation, you may be responsible for 3X the written amount, plus any court costs. It is considered a Weasle move. Maybe the same thing for blocking a valid credit card charge.

You cannot simply buy something or incur a service then not pay the bill because you just want to get out of the payment. You have an obligation to pay if the charge is legal.

Buying for a fair price is one thing. Being overcharged an exorbitant rate just because you have a Tesla, and not getting special treatment of any kind, is another matter. Rip them back!!!

Teslas do require they be plugged in to maintain the battery charge, but I don't see that being something costing so much to arrange. If there's something else, I don't know about it. Makes me wonder what the heck they do for the other "exotic" cars. Probably nothing being ICE vehicles but gouge those owners since the cars have a big price tag.

When my husband's car was damaged by a vehicle backing out of a parking space, the other driver's insurance company did the initial estimate. That was submitted to the Tesla Body Shop up here in the bay area. When they found some sensor also needed replacing and decided the bumper was too damaged to repair and a new bumper was ordered, no problem with their insurance company coming through for the additional. I don't know but don't think anyone was charged for the estimate so I don't understand why you are first of all being charged for an estimate. Also if the accident (so sorry about your long awaited Model 3 btw) was your fault, wouldn't your insurance carrier, Mercury in this case, send an appraiser from their company to work up an estimate? In my husband's case, Allstate, the insurance provider for the party at fault, sent their appraiser. When I had someone rear end my Toyota a few years back, my insurance company State Farm who I called to process the claim (same company for both of us), had an adjuster look at the car. I'm either in need of an education here or something is off in how this was handled.

If there's a law about storage charges in California sounds like you might have a small claims case against the place. What does Mercury say about that other than they only will pay out so much? These storage charges might be spelled out in your policy limits. Were these storage rates made known to you when you had the car delivered there and did you agree to them?

At the very least I would send an email to Tesla about this certified shop telling them what you experienced. Might want to check with other certified shops in your area and ask what their policies are if you were to bring the car there so you have a point of reference. If you really are upset I could see submitting a brief Letter to the Editor maybe of a newspaper in the area asking about such things and mention who the car was taken to and the Calif law on storage but get all the info on this first so it's more of a word of caution for anyone in a similar situation down the road.

So getting back to your Model 3, do you know for a fact that the car is totalled? Any photo of it. And again sorry it was damaged.

Last edited:
This makes me so sad. I just noticed a crack on my rear windshield and it bugged me in a way that I didn't think was possible. Never in the past worried about accidents, but now I'm so fearful of someone hitting me. Something about this car makes me care... Really hope everything works out for you in the end.

This makes me so sad. I just noticed a crack on my rear windshield and it bugged me in a way that I didn't think was possible. Never in the past worried about accidents, but now I'm so fearful of someone hitting me. Something about this car makes me care... Really hope everything works out for you in the end.

I know what you mean about something about these cars makes you care (more so than any other cars I've owned and that was only on the basic level of unhappy the car was damaged). Maybe it's because we name them and they do more for us than other cars we've owned.

This (accident, collision etc) is my biggest worry about owning a Tesla.
Those recommending another Tesla or Model Y it's asking for same scenario. With Y this wait times will get even more worse. Hope Tesla proves me wrong.

Take it to Tesla's own body shop that is just a few minutes north of the Orange County border:

Josh Enriquez | Collision Repair Estimator
Tesla logo.jpg

3880 W. Valley Blvd, Pomona, CA 91789
m. (310) 365-0064 | [email protected]

Here’s what I posed on the Tesla Motors Club Model S forum in January after they replaced the rear bumer, rear valence, and chrome strips on our 2015 P85D in 5 business days !!!

Here's my previous post on my experience: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/awesome-accident-repairs-at-teslas-socal-company-body-shop.139737/#post-3316275

• Informative
Reactions: hcook24 and KenC