Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint for aero wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already done this too, it really hurts at first (like it was physically painful) but i have tried to accept it and move on with my life :)

Would love to also hear what touch up paint to get! I think T Sportline sells some of these, perhaps they know.

C2644E9A-11F9-4DCC-82F6-26375D650A52.jpeg
Hi All.
Unfortunately I scratched my aero wheels on the curb this morning. Anyone have suggestions which touch up pair I could use?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D379B57C-555F-4500-8871-EB6118FD4B3A.jpeg
    D379B57C-555F-4500-8871-EB6118FD4B3A.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 3,061
Sorry to hear that. I did this as well. As I was close to a Tesla service center I stopped in and bought a new Aero cover for $30. I took off the original Aero cover and discovered that I had actually scratched the actual rim! Your picture looks like a carbon copy of my curb rash and unfortunately the portion that is scratched is actually the rim.

For that much scraping on the rim itself I'd take it to a wheel shop. They should be able to make it smooth again and match the paint. Cost will be ~$100-$150. Touch-up paint will just cover the exposed metal but leave a rough texture.

Curb rashed mine 3 hours after taking delivery. First time after 24 years of driving. Dublin, Ca service center can hook you up with a guy that will restore to original look for ~$150 even if the rim is scraped. He does amazing work and you can't tell anything ever happened even when looking real close.

Curb rashed mine 3 hours after taking delivery. First time after 24 years of driving. Dublin, Ca service center can hook you up with a guy that will restore to original look for ~$150 even if the rim is scraped. He does amazing work and you can't tell anything ever happened even when looking real close.
As per Tesla Fremont service center, there is also a company beside the factory, called West Coast ...., which can do that you for. If you want the service center to do it, it will be $250. You need to leave the car there overnight, but they will give you an other Tesla to drive on the mean time.

I was told there are 3 layers on top of the base metal of a Tesla wheel: primer, color and clear coat. So the approach above seems reasonable with a matching paint code.

My first stop for touch up paint has been Dr. Color Chip online since Tesla always seems to be backordered for their pens.

I would take it in and spend money on it except I KNOW I will do it again. Learned that from my Sprinter and Volvo. What happened to cars that when you hit the curb the rubber is all that meets the road (like my Jeep)? Kinda thought I would be spared this if I got the 18" vs the 19" wheels. Drat!

So when I heard about the Dupli-color I ordered it and some sandpaper and got to work. Took almost an hour, and I had some MAJOR rash. The worst one was pointing down so I didn't get a good photo of it but I did get the top one well documented:
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG

The touchup paint is SUPER thin so it doesn't leave a blob where it is applied. It did need multiple passes. I didn't even polish the sandpaper scratches, just painted over them and they are gone. This was a REALLY sloppy job and it still looks GREAT! The sanding block was too fine so I did pull out some 100 grit paper to do most of the work.

I got the big damage when a car came at me, turning left when I was turning right onto a 2 lane road so I cut it tight and hit the curb HARD, on my way the Golden Gate EV group to show off the new Model 3. Embarrassing. But now it's fixed-ish.

-Randy

I did something similar for multiple rashes on two wheels using wheel paint bought at an auto parts store. It wasn't even a very good color match, but with the wheel covers on it's not even noticeable. I have a feeling I'll be doing this again - the 18" wheel rims stick out a lot more than the tires so they scrape with any contact. And I don't think Rimskins will work with the wheel covers, nor do they come in dark grey.