TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touch up paint for aero wheel

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by jaipurking, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jaipurking

jaipurking Member

Hi All.
    Unfortunately I scratched my aero wheels on the curb this morning. Anyone have suggestions which touch up pair I could use?
    Thanks in advance.

2. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I've already done this too, it really hurts at first (like it was physically painful) but i have tried to accept it and move on with my life :)

Would love to also hear what touch up paint to get! I think T Sportline sells some of these, perhaps they know.

3. jaipurking

jaipurking Member

C2644E9A-11F9-4DCC-82F6-26375D650A52.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

I am sure you can find something close at an auto parts store or HD. It will happen again so don't be too concerned with it matching perfectly.

5. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Curb rash is a rite of passage for all drivers. Embrace it.

Just don't let us see the fibers hanging out the side of your tires.

• Funny x 1
  6. Chopoholic

Chopoholic New Member

Sorry to hear that. I did this as well. As I was close to a Tesla service center I stopped in and bought a new Aero cover for $30. I took off the original Aero cover and discovered that I had actually scratched the actual rim! Your picture looks like a carbon copy of my curb rash and unfortunately the portion that is scratched is actually the rim.

7. goto10

goto10 Member

For that much scraping on the rim itself I'd take it to a wheel shop. They should be able to make it smooth again and match the paint. Cost will be ~$100-$150. Touch-up paint will just cover the exposed metal but leave a rough texture.

8. Arny

Arny Member

I bought a dupli-color touch up paint from O'Reilly. The Ford CX dark shadow sray AFM 0360 matches very well.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. buddhra

buddhra Member

#9 buddhra, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Thanks! Ordered for $14. I've been looking on Amazon for some that matches that doesn't cost so much. https://amzn.to/2K0O25n

10. rtanov

rtanov Member

I bought this touch-up paint from Tesla online - costs $20. It is the exact color of the 18" wheel coating. I don't see it in the list now though.
    Model S Touch-Up Paint

Model S Touch-Up Paint
    Grey (WHEEL)
    SKU: 9000001-W2-A

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Gen3Joe

Gen3Joe Member

Curb rashed mine 3 hours after taking delivery. First time after 24 years of driving. Dublin, Ca service center can hook you up with a guy that will restore to original look for ~$150 even if the rim is scraped. He does amazing work and you can't tell anything ever happened even when looking real close.

12. Arny

Arny Member

cool. Amazon is cheaper. I am happy to be the guinea pig, and try it out first. Hope you are happy with the matching

13. Arny

Arny Member

As per Tesla Fremont service center, there is also a company beside the factory, called West Coast ...., which can do that you for. If you want the service center to do it, it will be $250. You need to leave the car there overnight, but they will give you an other Tesla to drive on the mean time.

14. ndwolfwood09

ndwolfwood09 Member

15. ndwolfwood09

ndwolfwood09 Member

Sorry, video link here:

• Informative x 1
  16. ndwolfwood09

ndwolfwood09 Member

On the Tesla page it says (PMTG) as the color of the metallic grey.

So I found this one on Amazon, anyone tried? Comes with Primer, Color, and Clear Coat.
    https://www.amazon.com/TouchUpDirect-Tesla-Exact-Match-Automotive-Touch-Up/dp/B00HZB6TPW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525414585&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Model%2BS%2BTouch-Up%2BPaint%2BGrey%2B(WHEEL)%2BSKU%3A%2B9000001-W2-A&th=1#customerReviews

17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I was told there are 3 layers on top of the base metal of a Tesla wheel: primer, color and clear coat. So the approach above seems reasonable with a matching paint code.

My first stop for touch up paint has been Dr. Color Chip online since Tesla always seems to be backordered for their pens.

18. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

I would take it in and spend money on it except I KNOW I will do it again. Learned that from my Sprinter and Volvo. What happened to cars that when you hit the curb the rubber is all that meets the road (like my Jeep)? Kinda thought I would be spared this if I got the 18" vs the 19" wheels. Drat!

So when I heard about the Dupli-color I ordered it and some sandpaper and got to work. Took almost an hour, and I had some MAJOR rash. The worst one was pointing down so I didn't get a good photo of it but I did get the top one well documented:
    IMG_1190.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_3136.JPG

The touchup paint is SUPER thin so it doesn't leave a blob where it is applied. It did need multiple passes. I didn't even polish the sandpaper scratches, just painted over them and they are gone. This was a REALLY sloppy job and it still looks GREAT! The sanding block was too fine so I did pull out some 100 grit paper to do most of the work.

I got the big damage when a car came at me, turning left when I was turning right onto a 2 lane road so I cut it tight and hit the curb HARD, on my way the Golden Gate EV group to show off the new Model 3. Embarrassing. But now it's fixed-ish.

-Randy

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  19. silentsnow31802

Good thread here. I just ordered the touch up paint from amazon and will be using it to fix my curb rash.

20. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

I did something similar for multiple rashes on two wheels using wheel paint bought at an auto parts store. It wasn't even a very good color match, but with the wheel covers on it's not even noticeable. I have a feeling I'll be doing this again - the 18" wheel rims stick out a lot more than the tires so they scrape with any contact. And I don't think Rimskins will work with the wheel covers, nor do they come in dark grey.