Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint for aero wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would take it in and spend money on it except I KNOW I will do it again. Learned that from my Sprinter and Volvo. What happened to cars that when you hit the curb the rubber is all that meets the road (like my Jeep)? Kinda thought I would be spared this if I got the 18" vs the 19" wheels. Drat!

So when I heard about the Dupli-color I ordered it and some sandpaper and got to work. Took almost an hour, and I had some MAJOR rash. The worst one was pointing down so I didn't get a good photo of it but I did get the top one well documented:
View attachment 301866View attachment 301867View attachment 301868

The touchup paint is SUPER thin so it doesn't leave a blob where it is applied. It did need multiple passes. I didn't even polish the sandpaper scratches, just painted over them and they are gone. This was a REALLY sloppy job and it still looks GREAT! The sanding block was too fine so I did pull out some 100 grit paper to do most of the work.

I got the big damage when a car came at me, turning left when I was turning right onto a 2 lane road so I cut it tight and hit the curb HARD, on my way the Golden Gate EV group to show off the new Model 3. Embarrassing. But now it's fixed-ish.

-Randy
I unfortunately scraped my rim from improperly trying to put on my Aero covers as I wasn’t paying attention to the valve stem location.

I used Duplicolor and am happy with the results. I will say that I did have to resand after applying a couple of times and used Optimum wash and no rinse car wash with a microfiber for polishing with the included clear coat of the Duplicolor. I do think the color is slightly darker than the original rims but it’s not off by much. Just apply it sparingly and only to the affected area.

After fixing the rims, I’m now done with the Aero covers. They look hideous and it’s easy to scrape the wheel when putting them on or when removing the center caps.

Here is the final result.

Attachments

• 1384B7D2-6E37-4508-8552-87F5003938BD.jpeg
    1384B7D2-6E37-4508-8552-87F5003938BD.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 1,262
Sorry for the delay.

Total time for the job was 1-1.5 hrs (mainly for drying time).
I used 40 grit first to sand to try to get as deep as I could without taking off too much.
Then I used 200 grit.

Sanding doesn't take very long. Make sure to wear a mask (even outdoors).

Then use the Canadian Tire Duplicolor Scratch Fix Dark Grey (CX) to start applying the paint.
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All-In-1, Dark Shadow Grey (CX) | Canadian Tire

I did 3 layers of paint, then 2 layers of clear.

First layer is fairly thin - you don't want it to thick otherwise gravity will pull the paint and it'll drip.
Dry for about 15-20 mins.
Apply second layer (a bit thicker than the first).
Apply third layer.

No sanding required in between paint coats.

The duplicolor has the clear coat applicator on the other end of the stick.

Apply first coat of clear, not too thin, not too thick.
Apply second coat of clear. thick.

Hope that helps!

View media item 118650View media item 118658View media item 118652View media item 118651View media item 118649View media item 118657View media item 118655View media item 118654View media item 118653View media item 118656

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay.

Total time for the job was 1-1.5 hrs (mainly for drying time).
I used 40 grit first to sand to try to get as deep as I could without taking off too much.
Then I used 200 grit.

Sanding doesn't take very long. Make sure to wear a mask (even outdoors).

Then use the Canadian Tire Duplicolor Scratch Fix Dark Grey (CX) to start applying the paint.
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All-In-1, Dark Shadow Grey (CX) | Canadian Tire

I did 3 layers of paint, then 2 layers of clear.

First layer is fairly thin - you don't want it to thick otherwise gravity will pull the paint and it'll drip.
Apply second layer (a bit thicker than the first).
Apply third layer.

No sanding required in between paint coats.

The duplicolor has the clear coat applicator on the other end of the stick.

Apply first coat of clear, not too thin, not too thick.
Apply second coat of clear. thick.

Hope that helps!

View media item 118650View media item 118658View media item 118652View media item 118651View media item 118649View media item 118657View media item 118655View media item 118654View media item 118653View media item 118656
Thanks for the pictures and the instructions. Great job! Don't even notice it from a far.

FYI, I tried the Sonic Carbon Wheel Touch Up Paint from Tesla Super Store to touch up the curb rash on my Aero wheels. It has a nice applicator, brush or dot, and appears to have the clear coat in it. It is a little bit darker but is close enough that I have to look twice to find the touch up on the wheel when walking up to the car.

After looking at the picture now that the paint is dry I need to apply another coat and will probably chase down some of the Duplicolor paint as it appears to be a closer match.

Attachments

• Wh Tch Up.jpg
    Wh Tch Up.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 736
For that much scraping on the rim itself I'd take it to a wheel shop. They should be able to make it smooth again and match the paint. Cost will be ~$100-$150.

I was on a ride with a woman last weekend and on HER Model 3 she also had scraped up the rims. She decided to take it to the wheel shop and they sanded down the rims past the paint. Now they are the natural grey metal color. If she scrapes them again they will remain that color instead of being an obvious gouge. Very smart. And the grey ring looks great.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen