Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen freezing on SW update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

About a month ago my touchscreen froze while I was in the car, parked. It was not possible to reset with scroll wheels. I was able to connect with Tesla App, but functionality was limited. I also tried pulling the touchscreen fuse, but that didn't help. I asked the Berlin SC for help and they logged in to the car. They said that they don't see anything wrong. After that my next reset attempt was successful. As soon as the screen started working, I saw the 7.1 update prompt. So my first thought was that the update caused the touchscreen to freeze.

Two days ago, the screen froze again. I understand that a minor update to 7.1 was just being sent out. This time there's no connectivity, so SC can't connect and fuse pulling doesn't work.

So my question is: how can I get this *** touchscreen to reset? One way would be disconnecting 12V, but I'm afraid of digging that deep, because I often break things. Driving 300km to the SC with no heater and no DRL would be challenging. DRL is required by law in Poland, so people blink at me all the time.

Any ideas?

If there is an update being processed in the background (rare while you are using the car), it may cause everything to slow to a halt. Rebooting will just resume the updater process, so it will still be lagged until it completes. Usually it's only about an hour total at most and only the final stage (package verification) that takes a lot of CPU resources. Just leave it alone and let it finish. Rebooting over and over just causes it to start over and it will be even longer.

The CID will still be usable usually, but very laggy, especially toward the end.

Pulling the 20A fuse will most definitely reboot it. There is no need to pull the 12v battery, and in fact, it's unlikely to work because the car will provide 12v from the DC-DC converter and nothing will lose power.

Pulling the 20A fuse will most definitely reboot it. There is no need to pull the 12v battery, and in fact, it's unlikely to work because the car will provide 12v from the DC-DC converter and nothing will lose power.

That is correct. Everything stays ON when the 12v is disconnected. Only after a few minutes, when the main battery goes to sleep would instruments shut down.

Almost solved now. It was a software problem. No idea what kind, but I'm guessing something like linux wouldn't boot.
Guys from Tesla Berlin came to my garage, connected a laptop and a software engineer from Tilburg was able to work the car remotely. Then the touchscreen started and fetched 7.1. It's working now, but I lost autopilot (convenience features unavailable message).

I've had slow UI response and buggy audio performance each of the three times I have gotten a software update. After thew second time, I realized what was happening, so I just pause my audio and let the car do its thing -- reduces my annoyance, and lets me imagine that I am "helping" the software download faster!
Once the download finishes, operation returns to normal. And the good news -- soon I get a notice to install the new software, which has always been exciting (so far).