Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen not responsive for text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MK0207

Jul 30, 2023
Ohio
Model 3, recently when receiving texts, they are still displayed in the lower left corner of the screen however when I touch to read text or even try to tap to respond, nothing happens, sometimes I have to multiple tap all around the displayed text to get anything to,happen. That potion of the screen works fine for the radio/music, as well as scrolling between radio, and the other 3 displays. It is only not responsive to text messaging…..this is recent, previously there was never an issue with text messages.

I powered down but that didnt have an impact

any ideas?

New user,
We are not mind readers. Please provide more intel. Year model of car and phone you are using. Probably a setting on your phone after an update. The phone needs to allow the car to read the TXT messages.

You are obviously new here and there is etiquette to follow, please.

Model 3, recently when receiving texts, they are still displayed in the lower left corner of the screen however when I touch to read text or even try to tap to respond, nothing happens, sometimes I have to multiple tap all around the displayed text to get anything to,happen. That potion of the screen works fine for the radio/music, as well as scrolling between radio, and the other 3 displays. It is only not responsive to text messaging…..this is recent, previously there was never an issue with text messages.

I powered down but that didnt have an impact

any ideas?
I am also seeing this behaviour since an update applied in August. I'm now on 2023.26.8.

I am planning to log a ticket with Tesla

I didn't even know that it responded to touch. Maybe they removed it to reduce screen fiddling. The easiest way is to press the right scroll wheel.
It literally says to press to send. And when it doesn't work, it causes more fiddling.

Pressing the right scroll wheel button sends texts? I'll have to try that out.

As an aside, I updated to 2023.26.9 the other day and it's still a problem...

Pressing the right scroll wheel button sends texts? I'll have to try that out.

I don't touch the screen at all to send texts. This is the pattern:

• Right scroll wheel press
  • "Text Elon Musk" (voice command)
  • "Can we get some good manual wiper controls? It's been years. I just want to control them with the scroll wheels after pressing the left stalk wiper button."
  • Look at the screen to make sure it was interpreted correctly
  • Press right scroll wheel to send, double-press right scroll wheel to try again

My primary gripes with the software for texting are as follows:
  1. The UI displays the recipient's name as it *interpreted it* using the speech-to-text engine, not the name of the matching contact from my phone's contacts. In some instances, this leaves me feeling uncertain that I'm texting the right person. Seems like a dumb choice with an easy fix... it already found a matching contact at that point, so it should display the contact name.
  2. Reading the text on screen takes too much attention away from the road - other users have mentioned that other interfaces read the text back to you before sending... that would be nice.