Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreens on Steering Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but have the touchscreen steering wheel buttons been removed in the production version of the X like the larger touchscreen and camera mirrors were?
tesla-model-x-steering-wheel.jpg

*cries on the inside*... The coolest parts of the X's tech were removed...

Yes ..like the S. I suspect it was a mix of reasons that did them in. My guess is, as cool as touch screens on wheel were, that they were likely a bit too costly and kinda defeated the point - need to look down for orientation without the tactile feel. I believe the mirrors were a regulatory issue. Didn't know that the display was larger on the proto - but I suspect that it's best to keep that component the same across platforms to keep the cost down (higher volume) and the SW differences across platforms to a minimum (reduces qualification time).

Yes ..like the S. I suspect it was a mix of reasons that did them in. My guess is, as cool as touch screens on wheel were, that they were likely a bit too costly and kinda defeated the point - need to look down for orientation without the tactile feel. I believe the mirrors were a regulatory issue. Didn't know that the display was larger on the proto - but I suspect that it's best to keep that component the same across platforms to keep the cost down (higher volume) and the SW differences across platforms to a minimum (reduces qualification time).

All valid points, yet they detract from the "cool factor".

It's starting to look more and more like an S with an uglier/bigger exterior IMHO... I was counting on at least a few "cool" features that would set it apart from the S to help justify it... Sadly, I don't think the better HEPA filter falls within that category :biggrin:

Sounds like you've got it all figured out ..almost. Can't go wrong either way IMO. But keep in mind that "ugly" is a relative term ..tastes and opinions vary. Good luck with whatever decision you ultimately make.

Apologies in advance to all those that are bored/annoyed with this thread. My final thoughts - OK, they do both have 4 wheels, 5 doors, and optimized for aerodynamics ..but the similarities end there!

I take it back, the steering wheel displays were a terrible idea, not cool! :wink:

It's starting to look more and more like an S with an uglier/bigger exterior IMHO... I was counting on at least a few "cool" features that would set it apart from the S to help justify it... Sadly, I don't think the better HEPA filter falls within that category :biggrin:

And the Falcon wing doors and the Big sky panoramic windshield don't count?