Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchy/Sensitive Brakes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
I picked up a 2013 CPO car about 6 weeks ago and am not crazy about the touchy brake pedal on the S (where it grabs in that first couple millimeters of travel as opposed to mudulating better over a longer press travel). Now, I had done the test drives and noticed it so it isn't really a surprise. I also think the newer cars may be even touchier (I know Tesla changed the brake setup at some point). Anyway, I am driving a loaner right now - a 2012 Founder car no less - and noticed the pedal ha a less touchy feel in that first bit of travel (just a more progressive pedal).

Anyway, Has anyone else noticed this? Is it something I just have to live with? I also have the creak/squeak and have been looking at the threads were Tesla replaces the pads (to those w/o dampers) and rotors with the "As-Cast" rotors...I'm wondering if those might actually make a difference in the sensitivity as well.

You can swap pads which will alter the initial bite from the brakes. It's my understanding that the brake system on the Tesla Model S is lifted from the Camaro SS gen 5. Others who know more may have better information.