TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Touchy/Sensitive Brakes...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by cab, Sep 11, 2016.

1. cab

cab Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Grapevine, TX
    I picked up a 2013 CPO car about 6 weeks ago and am not crazy about the touchy brake pedal on the S (where it grabs in that first couple millimeters of travel as opposed to mudulating better over a longer press travel). Now, I had done the test drives and noticed it so it isn't really a surprise. I also think the newer cars may be even touchier (I know Tesla changed the brake setup at some point). Anyway, I am driving a loaner right now - a 2012 Founder car no less - and noticed the pedal ha a less touchy feel in that first bit of travel (just a more progressive pedal).

Anyway, Has anyone else noticed this? Is it something I just have to live with? I also have the creak/squeak and have been looking at the threads were Tesla replaces the pads (to those w/o dampers) and rotors with the "As-Cast" rotors...I'm wondering if those might actually make a difference in the sensitivity as well.
  2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    My 2013 P85 doesn't have a touchy brake pedal at all, in fact I wish it would bite down earlier like in the new cars.
  3. St Charles

St Charles Member

Jun 21, 2016
    You can swap pads which will alter the initial bite from the brakes. It's my understanding that the brake system on the Tesla Model S is lifted from the Camaro SS gen 5. Others who know more may have better information.