Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tough time choosing. LR RWD vs LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after two months of dilly dallying around in the ICE world , spending weekends trying Lexus, Acura and Audi to replace my 15 year old Acura I have finally decided to join the EV world.

After test driving both the AWD and the RWD I am trying to figure out which one to purchase.

There is a state instant rebate with the RWD and I would probably add the FSD afterward. But if I get the AWD it would be cost prohibitive to add the FSD and there would be no state rebate.

So I am thinking that living in Seattle means that I will need AWD for the rain and the snow storms that hit and for traveling to Snoqualmie.

Is the AWD that much of a difference? As for FSD it seems as if this is progressing every six months and I will miss out on it next year when they raise the price.

Can you give me the pros and cons of both? Thanks.

Boo boo. I made a big boo boo. There is no long range RWD. MY BAD. all of the above without the LR RWD. Sorry about that.

There is if you buy one used. If you are thinking about new, then you are currently looking at Long range AWD or Performance (both AWD_ or SR or SR+ (both RWD). If you want 310 miles rated range, you will be getting AWD if you buy new... currently.

This was exactly the decision I made when I placed my order also.

I’m in a similar boat and also in Seattle. Based on what I’ve gathered from users, the RWD is more than adequate for conditions in and around Seattle, including moderate mountain use. That said, AWD outperformed an Audi Allroad in a test I saw. Also, it sounds like RWD does better than most front-drive ICEs.

From a performance perspective it seems to get muddy. The AWD is clearly faster but the RWD is lighter and could end up feeling a bit more nimble. How often would you really be in a situation where you could take advantage of the extra speed though?

Disclaimer: I have neither and would be happy with any. I’m currently waiting to see if I can get a used LR.

I'm not a speed demon at all; I didn't go for the AWD because it was faster off the line, no matter how cool it might be to punch it on occasion. I got the AWD for range, and the fact that if there is a problem with getting grip on the road, having the car able to try to use the front wheels to correct my path is, to me a Very Good Thing. I've not been to Seattle, so I don't know what the snowfall and rainfall situation is like up there, but if you get either or both with much regularity, I'd suggest leaning toward AWD, all things being equal.

That said, all things are not equal; SR+ RWD is cheaper than LR AWD. At the end of the day, only you can decide what is right for your specific use-case.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm not a speed demon at all; I didn't go for the AWD because it was faster off the line, no matter how cool it might be to punch it on occasion. I got the AWD for range, and the fact that if there is a problem with getting grip on the road, having the car able to try to use the front wheels to correct my path is, to me a Very Good Thing. I've not been to Seattle, so I don't know what the snowfall and rainfall situation is like up there, but if you get either or both with much regularity, I'd suggest leaning toward AWD, all things being equal.

That said, all things are not equal; SR+ RWD is cheaper than LR AWD. At the end of the day, only you can decide what is right for your specific use-case.

All good points. Clearly there are those who need and/or can justify the cost of a new AWD over the other options. If it’s not a stretch, that may be the way to go. The primary advantages for me with the RWD LR would be the slightly greater range and efficiency (vs AWD), and the (possibly) lower cost. Both are possibly in the noise so it then comes down to cost/value for me. Or course, the RWD is arguably not available currently, so there’s that...

You guys/gals are amazing. Thank you for making up my mind. I have decided to go with the AWD. The Seattleites convinced me that this is the way to go and many of you are expressing regret at not getting the AWD despite the RWD doing an admirable job. I personally think that I would have gone for the RWD if there was more range, but I already suffer from range anxiety in my Acura (but for different reasons -- I hate gas stations !!!), so I don't really want to go through that again. Thanks everyone.