Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch (Factory) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine for two days and haven't figured out how to get the panel off yet without breaking it. Thinking of asking when I have a service appointment. Tried prying it out with a screwdriver where the little slot is near the top and it just won't come off.

Got mine last week. It's a 2" receiver. Already working great for bicycles; haven't tried actually towing with it yet.

I had no problem using a screwdriver to pry off the panel. I just worked it a bit on all four sides, then pulled it off fairly easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    792.4 KB · Views: 134
Order place 02/03/2020

LR AWD MSM/White Int/20"Inductions
Added tow hitch the day it became available.

No texts, No VIN. Assuming its a unique configuration (Have not seen any delivered or spoke about) with the white interior. Have a feeling they're focusing on more sought after configurations to have a higher output for end of the month push.

Got mine last week. It's a 2" receiver. Already working great for bicycles; haven't tried actually towing with it yet.

I had no problem using a screwdriver to pry off the panel. I just worked it a bit on all four sides, then pulled it off fairly easily.
Once you took off the panel the first time have you tried again? Just wondering if it will be easier to remove going forward. And you were brave placing the panel face down on the ground:)

When you have bikes on the back, do the rear sensors yell at you? Have you tried "trailer mode" with the bike rack to see if that stops the sensors?

No VIN
No nuthin'

Ordered 3/18/19
LR AWD
MSM
Black Interior
19" Gemini wheels
Tow Hitch (added day it was available)
No FSD

WA state.

Jeez, that's ridiculous. We ordered the same except Blue instead of MSM, on 3/14/2020 and then added tow the day it was released, and already got the "We'll build it in the next 10 days" on 6/2, and then "expect delivery in the next 1-2 weeks" on 6/14 texts. We should not be jumping ahead of you in the queue by a year just due to paint color.

Jeez, that's ridiculous. We ordered the same except Blue instead of MSM, on 3/14/2020 and then added tow the day it was released, and already got the "We'll build it in the next 10 days" on 6/2, and then "expect delivery in the next 1-2 weeks" on 6/14 texts. We should not be jumping ahead of you in the queue by a year just due to paint color.
The only other variable I can imagine would be the fact I received a call for delivery coordination prior to the tow hitch being announced -- I told them I'd wait a bit to see what happened with that. (that was March, the hitch was made available in April).

No "we'll build in the next X days" message for me. I did get the June 14th message that many of us got --

"Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery near the end of June. Once your Model Y starts moving to your delivery center, we will reach out to schedule your delivery appointment.

Please note that your delivery may be earlier than this estimation if a vehicle with your configuration becomes available.

This is an automated message. For more information or to chat with us, please visit tesla.com/deliveryday"

Waiting for any more updates from the mother ship. No VIN in source code yet.

I've had mine for two days and haven't figured out how to get the panel off yet without breaking it. Thinking of asking when I have a service appointment. Tried prying it out with a screwdriver where the little slot is near the top and it just won't come off.

The material isn't brittle, it's actually quite flexible. But I know what you mean, the first few times prying the cover off can be a bit of trial/error. After a few times, it's much easier, either because you've learned the best method, or perhaps the clips have loosened a bit.

Be careful when putting the door back in. It's real easy to do, but also real easy to put it in incorrectly which will lead to increased difficulty subsequently removing it. Along the bottom of the enclosure, you can see what looks like a plastic rail. When installing, engage the bottom of those rails first, so the door's tabs slide beneath the railing. Otherwise, those tabs can wedge above the railing and make it harder to remove.

IMG_1469a.jpg

Last edited:
Just an FYI

Ordered 3/26, added tow hitch on day one. Blue with black interior, 19" wheels.

We've had a vin in our source for almost 2 weeks but no updates at all since then. Spoke to our contact at Tesla and was told it's still in production. We have a 15xxx vin.

Just an FYI

Ordered 3/26, added tow hitch on day one. Blue with black interior, 19" wheels.

We've had a vin in our source for almost 2 weeks but no updates at all since then. Spoke to our contact at Tesla and was told it's still in production. We have a 15xxx vin.
I also have a 15xxx VIN number and was told by my delivery center the Y was very recently built and on it's way to Delivery in Dedham, Ma. Delivery is 6/25.

QUOTE="cvoytek, post: 4766017, member: 135038"]I've had mine for two days and haven't figured out how to get the panel off yet without breaking it. Thinking of asking when I have a service appointment. Tried prying it out with a screwdriver where the little slot is near the top and it just won't come off.

The material isn't brittle, it's actually quite flexible. But I know what you mean, the first few times prying the cover off can be a bit of trial/error. After a few times, it's much easier, either because you've learned the best method, or perhaps the clips have loosened a bit.

Be careful when putting the door back in. It's real easy to do, but also real easy to put it in incorrectly which will lead to increased difficulty subsequently removing it. Along the bottom of the enclosure, you can see what looks like a plastic rail. When installing, engage the bottom of those rails first, so the door's tabs slide beneath the railing. Otherwise, those tabs can wedge above the railing and make it harder to remove.

View attachment 553237[/QUOTE]
Someone should make an aftermarket lip to just go around this cutout to make it look more presentable and not require keeping the plate on!

When you have bikes on the back, do the rear sensors yell at you? Have you tried "trailer mode" with the bike rack to see if that stops the sensors?

For bikes, I bought a 8" extender for the 2" receiver. Needed more room to prevent the bikes from scratching up the back. Works like a charm.

The rear sensors only make noise when in reverse. Forward driving is no problem though.

I don't know how to enable trailer mode....It's not in the owner's manual as far as I can tell.

For bikes, I bought a 8" extender for the 2" receiver. Needed more room to prevent the bikes from scratching up the back. Works like a charm.

The rear sensors only make noise when in reverse. Forward driving is no problem though.

I don't know how to enable trailer mode....It's not in the owner's manual as far as I can tell.

Which bike rack do you have? Anyone else with a hitch installed have issues clearing the bikes without an extender?

Okay so the sensors behave the same was as with the after market hitch it would seem (to be expected).

Trailer mode should be under the "Controls > Driving " menu. So far the only difference between factory hitch and eco hitch seems to be trailer mode. I'm wondering if that is worth it being that I only ever plan to use a bike rack.

Is that extender necessary? I would be real hesitant using one, as it puts additional pressure on the hinge. That probably won't make much difference with non-electric bikes. IIRC, the e-bike carrier we have recommends against extenders.

I have had my Model Y PUP since March 30. We love the car but I need the tow hitch for our bikes. I don't trust my skills to add the Eco so I'm waiting for Tesla to offer it aftermarket. Does anyone know when that might happen? The alternative is finding to pay someone to install the Eco. I'm in San Francisco. Has anyone used a reliable installer?

I have had my Model Y PUP since March 30. We love the car but I need the tow hitch for our bikes. I don't trust my skills to add the Eco so I'm waiting for Tesla to offer it aftermarket. Does anyone know when that might happen? The alternative is finding to pay someone to install the Eco. I'm in San Francisco. Has anyone used a reliable installer?

I would just wait for Tesla to install it. Putting on an after market tow hitch might void some warranties.

Reactions: sherlockw

I researched this for my Model 3, but decided just to wait for the Model Y. These guys will do it:

Yakima & Thule Racks for Car and Bike | Trailer Hitches Sale/Rentals - Rack N Road

They have a few locations in the Bay Area, and I'm sure there are other shops. IIRC, it was about $400 labor, so you might as well wait for the Tesla version.