Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch (Factory) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

So, I am still waiting for my MY, but in the mean time I plan on buying a bike rack. The problem is we have fat tire electric bikes. I have a Super 73-S1 and the wife has a Rad Runner. They weigh 145 lbs combined. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

My Bike
Super73-S1-Universal-Motorbike-1000x600.jpg

Wife's Bike
akrales_191002_3677_0053.jpg

Added factory hitch to my order in May after seeing aftermarket movies (not worth my time/risk dismantling the car for the saving). Picked up my Y today.

Here's the factory installed 2in receiver plus socket.
Very difficult to remove the bumper cover without tools. I will probably add something aftermarket to the cover to pull on.

Attachments

• 20200621_144330.jpg
    20200621_144330.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 109
Is that extender necessary? I would be real hesitant using one, as it puts additional pressure on the hinge. That probably won't make much difference with non-electric bikes. IIRC, the e-bike carrier we have recommends against extenders.
The extender was necessary for mine -- an old Rhode Gear I bought from a friend for $40. Here's an example:

Rhode Gear bike rack, black steel | eBay

The Rhode Gear involves pivoting/rotating the arms that hold the bikes from the "closed" position to the "open" position. That rotation would scratch the Model Y, absent an extension.

However, I've seen more modern Thules that would work fine without an extension. The key is a "flip-up" approach of the arms that hold the bikes. That approach is generally fine.

Question for all you engineers and back-yard inventors:

Would it be beneficial to reduce aerodynamic drag to fabricate some kind of hard cover over the bike rack or hitch carrier? Any other thoughts on how to not lose efficiency when using our factory installed hitch?

Anyone have a recommendation for a kayak trailer that doesn't cost $700+ ? Just have the one. It's about 14 feet long

Yeah, we have a 2-person canoe and I looked in to all the options. The cheap ones I'd be afraid to take on the highway, and the expensive ones are $3-4k to start.

We ended up just ordering the roof racks. Even if there's a serious range hit with it on the roof, it'll be much simpler and like what we're doing now with our Prius with Thule aero racks. And it allows us to put the bikes on the hitch-mounted rack and take all the toys with us. =)

They weigh 145 lbs combined

That doesn’t leave much overhead for the weight of the rack. According to the latest version of the owners manual, the maximum vertical load limit on the tow receiver is 160 lbs. Interestingly, the max tongue weight for a trailer is 350 lbs (for 19” tires). I find that strange... if the tongue weight is simply the downward force on the hitch, then why the reduced limit for “vertical” loads like bike racks?