Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a 2016 Airstream Sport 16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CURT 57003 LED Trailer Light Adapter, $23.99 on Amazon, free same day delivery!

Works great and the Prodigy RF Brake Controller is good too.

I have the .75" rise ball mount, but I think the front end of the Airstream is a tad high, so I am going to switch to a straight 0" ball mount. BTW, the manual says that the only allowed ball mounts are 0" - 0.75" RISE. No drop mounts allowed. I think the straight through will be good.

First trip of around 50 miles averaged 660 Wh/mi.

Could you share some photo of your hitch set up? Do you think using a weight distribution hitch helps to increase mileage?

Could you share some photo of your hitch set up? Do you think using a weight distribution hitch helps to increase mileage?

Will do, although on my maiden voyage the Airstream felt a little too squirrely for me with a slight sway occasionally that wagged the X a little. Dropping the ball mount 0.75" down may help that a little, but I am probably going to investigate some kind of sway control. At first I thought that it was just because I am used to towing with a big diesel pickup, but after reading several threads over at airforums, the consensus seems to be that even the 16' Bambi could use sway control. On the weight distribution, the air suspension in the X keeps it perfectly level, so don't know how much it would help. Another problem is all the additional hardware for weight distribution and sway control is pretty heavy, which is a problem too.

Hypothesis: at some point in the last six months, Tesla firmware learned to recognize LEDs so the Curt 57003 is no longer needed.

I say this because I just plugged in my Airstream's 7-way without the Curt 57003 and the Trailer Mode went blue.

Tagging @JimVandegriff @ohmman for reproducibility

And here's a picture from Coyote Point in San Mateo tonight. The waves are crashing, the planes are landing, and the winds are gusting.

IMG_7914.jpg