Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing an Aliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I really need to be concerned about towing an 1800lb camper with a hitch weight of 240lbs?

Thanks.
I just towed an Aframe ( Forest River T12 RB), which is 1950 lbs. And has a hitch weight of 230 lbs. Towed it 1200 miles from Colorado to Portland, Oregon with my Model Y long range. It towed amazingly well, I hardly knew it was there. Range was affected a lot, so more charging stops, but I expected that. Way better towing than my KIA suv. An EV towing on hills is so much better than an ICE vehicle, and there were some considerable hills on my route. The biggest issue was charging stations. Luckily I only had to unhitch once to charge, the rest of the time I just pulled in alongside if the stalls were empty enough. Some of the stations had a charger on the side, which was nice.

Geezersquid: Why the thumbs down? The OP now knows how to access even MORE information than this thread would provide.

With so many multiple threads on the same subjects, this forum is getting harder and harder to navigate. We don't need so many repetitive threads.

I just towed an Aframe ( Forest River T12 RB), which is 1950 lbs. And has a hitch weight of 230 lbs. Towed it 1200 miles from Colorado to Portland, Oregon with my Model Y long range. It towed amazingly well, I hardly knew it was there. Range was affected a lot, so more charging stops, but I expected that. Way better towing than my KIA suv. An EV towing on hills is so much better than an ICE vehicle, and there were some considerable hills on my route. The biggest issue was charging stations. Luckily I only had to unhitch once to charge, the rest of the time I just pulled in alongside if the stalls were empty enough. Some of the stations had a charger on the side, which was nice.
Hi Colorado,

What's your range been like? I figure the low profile of an Aframe makes it more aerodynamic than a safari condo or airstream.

The range was in the upper 300s and lower 400s. I traveled about 70 to 75 mph through Wyoming and Idaho. And 65 to 70 through Oregon. A lot of hills, but what really hurt range was 45 mph headwinds guting to 60 mph. That really sucked. But I loved how well it towed, no hesitation even on step hills. And real good regen coming down those mountains.

Reactions: Gadget63
The range was in the upper 300s and lower 400s. I traveled about 70 to 75 mph through Wyoming and Idaho. And 65 to 70 through Oregon. A lot of hills, but what really hurt range was 45 mph headwinds guting to 60 mph. That really sucked. But I loved how well it towed, no hesitation even on step hills. And real good regen coming down those mountains.
I had some areas where I was in the 700s, due to wind. Also I had air conditioning on the whole way.