Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with new 22” turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I have a refreshed Model X on order right now specced out with the new 22” turbine wheels. I love the look of them. We plan on towing a 4K pound pop up camper (Opus OP4) with our X when we get it. I remember the old 22” wheels only had a 3500 tow limit. It doesn’t say anything about the larger wheels having less towing capacity on the website. I’m considering switching to 20” if it’s going to impact our towing ability. Has anyone heard or seen any details on this?

Is the X owners manual available yet? That would have the specs.

If not, do you know what tires they are using? If they are the same as the current model I wouldn’t expect the towing capacity to materially change. It’s not really the wheels you have to be concerned about when towing. It’s the tires.

Is the X owners manual available yet? That would have the specs.

If not, do you know what tires they are using? If they are the same as the current model I wouldn’t expect the towing capacity to materially change. It’s not really the wheels you have to be concerned about when towing. It’s the tires.
New manual isn’t out yet unfortunately. Doesn’t say what type of tires either. Bummer.

Hello everyone. I have a refreshed Model X on order right now specced out with the new 22” turbine wheels. I love the look of them. We plan on towing a 4K pound pop up camper (Opus OP4) with our X when we get it. I remember the old 22” wheels only had a 3500 tow limit. It doesn’t say anything about the larger wheels having less towing capacity on the website. I’m considering switching to 20” if it’s going to impact our towing ability. Has anyone heard or seen any details on this?

Search the owners manual for "Towing Capacity." The latest manual specs a limit of 4,960 LB with 20 inch wheels, 3480 LB with 22 inch wheels. I would be surprised if that spec changed for a newer model.

We plan on towing a 4K pound pop up camper (Opus OP4) with our X when we get it. I remember the old 22” wheels only had a 3500 tow limit. It doesn’t say anything about the larger wheels having less towing capacity on the website. I’m considering switching to 20” if it’s going to impact our towing ability.
I have no specific information on the current 22” wheels and tow weight limits but I would recommend against using them to tow your Opus camper, and not just because you would very likely be violating the weight limit; the larger wheels will significantly reduce your range and when towing your range will be reduced anyway, even with a low profile trailer like the Opus.

I have no specific information on the current 22” wheels and tow weight limits but I would recommend against using them to tow your Opus camper, and not just because you would very likely be violating the weight limit; the larger wheels will significantly reduce your range and when towing your range will be reduced anyway, even with a low profile trailer like the Opus.
I think I’m going to switch to the 20’s. As much as it annoys me because I love the 22s so much. Contacted Tesla because I no longer have the edit design button on my dashboard.

I think I’m going to switch to the 20’s. As much as it annoys me because I love the 22s so much. Contacted Tesla because I no longer have the edit design button on my dashboard.
Yeah, besides getting much better range, I would be a little nervous driving on campground crummy roads with the 22s. potholes, gravel, logs and crappy roads in general are really not great for high performance tires. Hopefully it is not too late to change your order.

@Dionysius another solution would be to get the 22s for standard driving and get an extra set of 20s (or even 19s) when you tow. The nice thing about that is you probably have to replace the lower profile tires less often, since you would not be putting the towing stress on them. Mobile service can swap rims for you at your house or work, so it’s pretty easy to switch when you need to. Also fast for any tire shop.

@Dionysius another solution would be to get the 22s for standard driving and get an extra set of 20s (or even 19s) when you tow. The nice thing about that is you probably have to replace the lower profile tires less often, since you would not be putting the towing stress on them. Mobile service can swap rims for you at your house or work, so it’s pretty easy to switch when you need to. Also fast for any tire shop.
That’s a good idea. Would just have to convince my wife to store the extra set of wheels. She already thinks the 22s are stupidly expensive 😄

If you really want to push your luck you could get the towing 20s in sonic carbon. :)