Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing with your X? New Alto model: 21 ft lightweight camper trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

For those interested in towing a camper trailer with an X, the Canadian company Safari Condo has announced a new model of their “Alto” series: the 21 ft F2114. Dry weight just under 2,400 lbs. Pretty sure the tongue weight will be much less than 500 lbs if you properly balance this single axel trailer, as the 17 ft Alto F1743 model that I am taking delivery on soon can be set up with a low tongue weight.

See Safari Condo

This trailer has a king sized bed (76”x81”) area that can also function as a 4 person table with seating, an enclosed bathroom with toilet and shower, a separate two person dinette area which converts to a single bed, and a kitchen with sink, two burner propane stove, 6.7 cu ft gas/electric fridge, optional microwave and lots of storage.

The company has not released the floor plan or detailed dimensions, but will soon. Here’s the only photo available right now. Trailer will be first shown at the Montreal RV show in March.

165D0809-DC75-4423-991B-0C6F4BAAFCDC.jpeg

The base price of the 17 ft Alto F1743 model is about US$30K. I think the base price of the 21 ft Alto F2114 model is about $42K. Simply based on size, they are expensive compared to almost all the competition except for Airstreams. But I can tell you that the quality of the Alto trailers is very high, and they are far lighter than any roughly comparable trailer.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Very good price for what it is, IMHO
I agree. And thanks for correcting me on the F2114 price.

You really have to see one up close to appreciate how its built.

There is an over 1 year wait after placing an order before you receive your Alto. Demand is very high. But it’s worth the wait.

D4D8B32C-5A40-4363-BA16-C6004BDBCE68.jpeg

Through my wife’s Facebook account I sometimes check in with the “Altoistes” group, which is specifically for Alto owners and wannabe owners. As far as I know we are only the second Tesla owner to tow an Alto (the first was TMC member @fortytwo who tows an Alto R1723, but I think I have his username wrong). I am not aware of anyone towing an Alto F2114 with a Model X.

@AndreyATC if you are seriously interested in an F2114 you will find several owners in the FB Altoistes group. They love it! I think it very likely that it will have similar Wh/mi numbers as I get with my F1743, which ranges from 465 in ideal conditions to of course much more going uphill or in rainy/windy conditions.

Bob, see the link I posted to start this thread Safari Condo

Also see this page on the manufacturers website Caravanes (Alto) – SÉRIE F21 – 2114 | Safari Condo

Regarding US support: Safari Condo has no US dealers. US buyers can either take delivery at the factory in Quebec or, if they live in a border state, the company allows them to take delivery at various Safari Condo dealers in Canada. Although I do not live in a border state, I persuaded the company to let me take delivery at their dealer near Vancouver, Getaway RV. (it took some persuasion!). I do not know your location so cannot advise you any further on that. Many eastern or midwest US buyers take delivery in Quebec or at a dealer in London Ontario, Can-Am RV. I

For support in the US, Safari Condo will reimburse owners who are under warranty when they get repairs made in the US. US owners seem pretty satisfied with the situation.

We live in the Houston area, so buying a trailer from a company only in Canada (Safari) or Nevada/California (Bowlus) won't be as convenient as purchasing from a company with dealerships in almost every major city (Airstream).

The F2114 specs list the hitch weight between 350-525 pounds. The Model X is supposed to support up to 500 pounds.

ohmman's chart (on another thread) lists the R1723 with 640 Wh/mi @ 55 mph.

You seem to be seeing much better energy consumption with the F1743 - getting close to the Bowlus Road Chief (listed at 475).

Is ohmman's chart wrong in the R1723? Or is there a reason why the lower profile model requires much greater energy consumption for towing?

With the larger cabin, seems reasonable that the F2114 would likely take more energy to tow than the F1743 - do we have any indication of the difference between the two models?

• Informative
@bob_p,
A lot has to do with aerodynamics of the trailer
Even though teardrop shape of 1723 suggests better airflow, it may actually hurt it with rapid drop
F2114 may not be that far off from 1743, and it weighs the same as Bowlus
Since we dont have any data on 2114, i'd say it's closer to 1743 (fixed roof) with small penalty due to extra wight and height

I agree with @AndreyATC. This has been discussed on TMC in the trailer aerodynamics thread that @ohmman started almost two years ago. “Teardrop” trailers that have a sharply sloping rear roof are likely less aerodynamic than they are often touted to be. Since they have right angle corners where the sidewall meets the roof, as the air flows off the angled rear sidewalls it collides with the air flowing across the roof, which due to the steep angle has likely started to separate from the roof surface; the result is major turbulence along each side of the trailer towards the rear. One TMC member likened it to “towing twin anchors down the road” or something to that effect. The R1723 shape is quite different at the rear compared to the F1743 or F2114.
ohmman's chart (on another thread) lists the R1723 with 640 Wh/mi @ 55 mph.

You seem to be seeing much better energy consumption with the F1743 - getting close to the Bowlus Road Chief (listed at 475).

Is ohmman's chart wrong in the R1723? Or is there a reason why the lower profile model requires much greater energy consumption for towing?

With the larger cabin, seems reasonable that the F2114 would likely take more energy to tow than the F1743 - do we have any indication of the difference between the two models?
I am not convinced that the F2114 will require a noticeable increase in energy usage when towing. Hopefully we will have some data in the near future.

• Informative
We live in the Houston area, so buying a trailer from a company only in Canada (Safari) or Nevada/California (Bowlus) won't be as convenient as purchasing from a company with dealerships in almost every major city (Airstream).
Bob, that’s a fair point. The way that Safari Condo handles warranty repairs for their US customers is that the owner takes the trailer to an RV repair center approved by them and has the work done, then they are reimbursed for the cost. I do not know how Bowlus handles their warranty repairs, perhaps something similar.

Safari Condo and Bowlus Road Chief are similar in one aspect - neither company mentions their warranty policy on their website.

The F2114 appears to have been out for a while - and there still isn't any detailed information on their website (though you can get some specs from their facebook page).

Neither is there any mention of providing service, only a listing of their Canadian sales team/locations.

US sales are stated as "factory direct" - does that mean they'll send the trailer by UPS to our front door, like Tesla did with our S P85 in January 2013?

Bowlus has a similar lack of information on their website, though they do have an insider program that provides additional information on their products and plans. To become an insider they require you to pay a $1,000 refundable deposit (by paying that deposit, you agree to their Terms and Conditions - which aren't listed on their website) and execute an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), which also isn't available on their website, prior to making the $1,000 payment.

Both Safari Condo and Bowlus Road Chief appear to have products that should be interesting for Model X owners, but neither makes it easy to research the details on their products - especially if you aren't able to find one locally to look at...

We've been able to get all of the information we've needed to evaluate an Airstream - and see one in person. Proving to be more difficult to evaluate the other options...

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
The F2114 appears to have been out for a while - and there still isn't any detailed information on their website
It has been in production for about 4 months. My understanding is that currently there is a one year wait list. If you tell me what F2114 details you are looking for maybe I can help you. There are several F2114 owners in the Altoistes group on Facebook. I dislike Facebook intensely but it is the only online place I have found where I can make contact with Alto owners and I have learned a tremendous amount from that group in the past almost two years.

Neither is there any mention of providing service, only a listing of their Canadian sales team/locations.
Service for Canadian customers is through their Canadian dealers or at the factory in Quebec. US service is done as I described above. I know this because I verified it with Safari Condo. I agree that their website is not as informative as it could be.

US sales are stated as "factory direct"
As I described above, US buyers can pick up their Alto at the Quebec factory or if you live in a state bordering Canada through one of their Canadian dealers. You have stated you are in Texas. Based on my experience dealing with Safari Condo you would have to take delivery in Quebec. I know many Alto owners in the US who did that.

Both Safari Condo and Bowlus Road Chief appear to have products that should be interesting for Model X owners, but neither makes it easy to research the details on their products - especially if you aren't able to find one locally to look at...

We've been able to get all of the information we've needed to evaluate an Airstream - and see one in person. Proving to be more difficult to evaluate the other options...
Airstream is a US company that has been in business for over 80 years and as you know they have dealers all over the US.

Safari Condo is a Canadian company with no US dealers but many very happy US customers based on what I have read on the private “Altoistes” Facebook group (and I’ve met several of them in person). I have not met or communicated with a single unhappy Alto owner. I researched multiple trailer manufacturers before buying my Alto and was able to see two Altos in person (an R1723 and an F1743, made contact with the owners through Facebook and arranged meetings in the San Francisco Bay Area) before placing my order. After 16 months of waiting for delivery and 6 months of ownership I believe I made the right choice for me. In fact, as I write this, my wife and I are camping in our Alto F1743 near Humboldt Redwoods State Park in California and loving it.

Bowlus is a much smaller company than Safari Condo, as near as I can tell. They appear to make an extraordinary premium quality product, at a high price, so they are addressing a much smaller market. In the US it is very likely more challenging to see a Bowlus in person than an Alto because there are relatively fewer Bowlus trailers that have been built (I don’t know the total number, but would guess it is less than 100). In contrast, Safari Condo has built more than1400 Alto trailers since 2007 but probably less than twenty F2114 models. Of course Airstream has likely built tens of thousands of trailers over the years.

If you want a more conventional and certainly more convenient trailer purchase experience, Airstream clearly offers that compared to Safari Condo or Bowlus.

Bowlus has an office and showroom in Santa Barbara, California. Someday, while driving to Southern California, I plan to stop there and see a Bowlus in person. It’s a very compelling design. I’ve seen many Airstreams of course, and have been to a dealer in Fairfield California. They are very nice, but I decided that the Alto F1743 better fit my needs. I am quite interested in the F2114 and would like to see one in person.

Great feedback... on the Alto.

Since we haven't purchased a travel trailer before - this is all new to us - plus, we have a tendency to thoroughly review major purchases like this and may be looking for more comprehensive information than other potential customers.

At this point, we've concluded every option has advantages & disadvantages - and will have to decide what compromises we are willing to make, or if this is even something we want to do. Would be much easier if there was one option that was significantly better - and very close to what we want, which isn't the case.

Went through a similar evaluation when purchasing our first Model S in early 2013. Was much easier to pull the trigger on our S 100D last year and the X 100D this year.

Thanks for the info...