TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TPA to LAS and and back in my Model S

Discussion in 'Florida' started by ShadowyRealm, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ShadowyRealm

ShadowyRealm Member

I'm planning to drive my Model S from Tampa to Las Vegas for a conference using the supercharger network.

I'll be gone from February 22, 2014 to about March 15th. I figure it will be 8 days out and 8 days back because I have to go up the Eastern seaboard and across the northern plains, then back down the face of the rockies.

Read all about my trip on my blog: TPA to LAS and back in a Tesla Model S — Epinomy

Next year (maybe later this year) the southern I-10 route will make this trip much more convenient, but frankly this is a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of circumstances.

Anybody else made any cross country trips from Florida? I'd love to hear some tips and tricks.

2. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Did you check to see if it might be quicker to still go the I-10 route, getting boosts in Texas and Arizona?

3. 772

772 Member

aviators99 is right... I think the time will be about the same, maybe a day or two more if you go direct w/ hypermiling. It would involve a lot more trip planning (check plugshare and any RV park maps), but you have a lot less driving and more sleeping/waiting time.

Sample route:

Tampa => St. Augustine, FL => Tallahassee, FL => Pensacola, FL => Hammond/Baton Rouge, LA => Lake Charles, LA => Huntsville, TX (SC) ====>

Corsicana, TX (SC) => Wichita Falls, TX => Vega, TX => Santa Rosa, NM => Albuquerque, NM => Gallup, NM (SC) ====>

From there you can get to Vegas on the SC network. That's ~2,500 miles compared to > 4,000 miles using just SCs.

4. ShadowyRealm

ShadowyRealm Member

It's not about the distance. This is a unique time in history when the following conditions are all true:

1) I have an excuse to go to Vegas (a conference)
    2) I've always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore, but never had a shadow of an excuse.
    3) I have an excuse to go to DC
    4) I have never driven across country at all - and would like to do so
    5) We are only a couple of years away from the full network being completed, so this route would never make any sense after that.
    6) I'm pretty sure I can write off the mileage, at least.

I actually will stop in Washington DC for a couple of business meetings, so I'm making the most of the trip. The journey is the reward.

By the way, I posted a couple more updates at Epinomy Blog — Epinomy

5. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

Would love to do this trip, bit that damn J-O-B thing gets in the way. While you are doing Mt Rushmore, make sure to run by the Crazy Horse Monument too.

6. MissErol

MissErol Model S #9221

Ditto!!! They keep telling me I have to return to work.

Sounds like it will be a great adventure. Post some good pics with your MS from your journey.