Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tpms from TireRack not reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 75d and just received my tire/wheel combo from TireRack with continental tpms pre-installed. Slapped the new wheels on tonight and after about 7 miles of driving, the "detected new wheel sensors" message popped up and I hit the OK button. After that, the error message with the problem with tpms system popped up, please contact Tesla Service.

Any of you with TireRack tpms get this error before? I drove another 10 miles with no change. I hope they didn't send me the wrong sensors.

About two and a half years ago, I purchased a set of the earlier style, Baolong sensors for my 2014 Tesla from Tirerack. After 16 months, after swapping out to my summer performance wheel/tire set with the aforementioned sensors, I immediately started receiving error messages that pointed to a bad sensor. To my surprise, (using an Autel TPMS activation tool) I found that three out of the four sensors were dead. Tirerack said that since it was beyond the one year warranty period since purchase, they wouldn't replace the sensors.. However, Tirerack did offer to sell me a new set for 50% off. At $25 per TPMS sensor, I took them up on their offer, and haven't had any further problems. I think Tirerack inadvertently purchased either old Baolong stock that sat around some warehouse in China too long, or stock containing inferior batteries.

I purchased some Baolongs from Tirerack about four years ago that I used in a set of snow tires. They are still working well.

I think it sucks that TPMS sensors use batteries that are soldered down and buried in a hard rubber-like compound so that they cannot be (easily) replaced.

One sensor started reading after 10 minutes or so of driving. Guess I might have 3 bad sensors.
IMAG0783.jpg

There’s one thing to try. The sensors are designed to “wake up” on the first rapid tire inflation, then get rolling, and stay in that state. When you buy them online, there can be a delay from that first inflation to rolling. It is argued some TPMS will time out and go back to dormant state. Assuming you’ve got a decent air compressor at home - if not, find a place to do this - you want it to be quick.

Reduce the pressure to 20 psi or so. Lower is better, but not if the cars weight is on the tires.... and definitely don’t go to zero. Then inflate back to 45psi as quickly as you can. Do all 4 wheels and then drive it for 10+ minutes to see if the sensors “wake up” for good.

• Informative
Reactions: jplasmd
TireRack ended up sending me another set of sensors after I went to Discount Tire and they weren't able to get a reading from them. I brought the new sensors to Discount prior to having them install them and was able to get a reading. TR reimbursed me for the labor charges for DT to install them. Hope this helps anyone having the same issue in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: s1rk