Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TPMS owners,

I have been working on TPMS for a long time for my older Roadster...

A few observations that may help.

The Model S has only had 2 manufacturers of TPMS during its lifetime:
Baolong(like on my Roadster) and Continental.

The earlier cars have the Baolong system roughly 2012-2014.
Sometime in late 2014 or early 2015 they changed to the Continental sensors.
Sometime during the transition period they offered an chargeable upgrade from Baolong to Continental.

Tire stores with TPMS readers/programmers are able to read and determine the make of your sensors.

These age range cars by now could be experiencing depleted batteries in their TPMS.

The Baolong sensors could never benefit from a reset button on your car's display.
They REQUIRE a Tesla TPMS programming tool to update the ECU in the car.
The Baolong system uses 2 antennas: One in the front of the car and one in the back of the car.
They are actually different part numbers.
It is an unusual setup. Both antennas have all 4 tire addresses in them.
If one or the other antennas is corrupted, the system will still work fine with the remaining functional antenna.
If one of your sensors has a battery failure it is best to replace ALL of them together...
It is better that 4 different trips and the lost time involved going to a tire shop or to Tesla.
A failed TPMS sensor can be cloned with the proper equipment and not require the car to be reprogrammed.
The address and location of the "new" sensor must be exactly the same as the old one.
There is currently no tool other than the Tesla tool that can reprogram the car through the OBD2 port.
There are many tools that can clone a sensor.
Cloning a sensor means writing the old address to the new sensor.

Another weakness in the Baolong TPMS system is a sensor failure...
When a sensor fails the car looks for it on both antennas for 16 to 20 minutes.
If it is not seen in this time the car issues a TPMS hardware fault...
Unfortunately, this fault disappears after the car is turned off.
It fools you into thinking that it is OK.
Sixteen to 20 minutes later the TPMS hardware fault will reappear.

People with cars 2015 and newer with Continental sensors can relearn their sensors by using the now
disappeared button.

I hope the explanation above helps you to determine which group you belong to...
and what to expect from your car's behavior.

Good luck,

Shawn (The TPMS guy.)

The Baolong sensors could never benefit from a reset button on your car's display.

That's not true, my second tire set with winter tires and Baolong sensors was detected after pressing the rest button, they were never programmed with a Tesla TPMS tool and Wasn't at a Service Center with this tires.

Just switched from 21's to 19's on my March 2015 P85D. I experienced all the issues here regarding error messages when it tried to pick up the new TPMS. The only thing that worked for me was a power off.

The messages would come back after reboots but when I powered off and then on everything was running smoothly again.

Worth a shot if you have not tried.

That's not true, my second tire set with winter tires and Baolong sensors was detected after pressing the rest button, they were never programmed with a Tesla TPMS tool and Wasn't at a Service Center with this tires.
Agreed - I’d swapped wheels on my March 2014 P85 (OEM all seasons <-> TireRack winter set) 4 times before with no difficulty using the reset button.

The address and location of the "new" sensor must be exactly the same as the old one.
Could it be there is a difference between left and right sensors like on some other brand's cars? I know my TPMS worked fine after one set of tires were swapped from front to back.
I might have to try and rent that CUB SensorAid tool to go through different combinations, if that makes any sense. Tire shop did not mark original sensors before taking them off the rims. :D

Hi Retkimora,

From what I have seen all sensors on a given car are identical except for their addresses...
If you have a more recent car that can identify the sensors by itself you will be fine.

Recent Tesla cars can retain 8 tire addresses in their memory - so there is no need to program between
winter and summer tires.
That may require the elusive and temporarily missing TPMS reset button on your screen.
Only time and new software releases will tell.

I am not sure renting the tool will help you.
Another approach that might work would be to inflate the tires differently
(four different pressures all within the rating of the tires), drive the car, and record where the
different pressures were located - if they match your inflation scheme your are good.
If they do not match, it would give you and idea which sensors were out of place.
Then you could decide a plan of action...

Shawn

The TPMS reset problem continues to plague me. A few days ago the TPMS hardware fault disappeared (after being present for a few weeks) but then I got no tire pressure readings. On that basis I canceled a service appointment, thinking the fault was in my old sensors and that the system fault had gone away.

I drove for a few days, but then the hardware fault reappeared. So I reset the wheels size (yet again, and interesting that they have no choice for 20s). When the car rebooted I then had several other errors, including no regeneration, traction control, and several others.

I consider these serious safety issues and I'm considering filing a formal complaint with NHTSA. Tire pressure readings are required by law and Tesla's software date has made this all FUBAR. To make matters worse, I couldn't get a service appointment until December 5. So apparently Tesla thinks I should drive for two weeks with these unsafe conditions.

I normally cut Tesla slack in many circumstances, but not this time, as they've very clearly screwed TPMS up big time.

If you have a more recent car that can identify the sensors by itself you will be fine
I am not sure renting the tool will help you
I have a Model S 12/2013 which originally had Baolong system. It still has and I managed to get it working today. I borrowed Cub SensorAid tool from the guy who sold the sensors to local tire shop. I was prepared to gp through different sensor positions but first try made it right.

Cannot edit the previous post yet.
I re-programmed all the Cub-sensors with oldest possible program found in the tool. I checked that sensor IDs matched the original sensors. I had originals lying on the table so it was easy to check, IDs are written/printed on the sensors. Re-programming sensors required tires to be deflated under 1.8 bars (around 26 PSI) and then inflated back to recommended pressure. I used 48 PSI to be sure it was over 45 PSI. After programming all the sensors I went for a test drive and after about 20 meters TPMS warning went away. I drove over 20 minutes in one go at 80 km/h and message did not come back. I assume everything is working fine now.

Hi Retkimora,

You did good - Good job...

There are 2 ways to get a Baolong system to work after failure.
One is to use a programming tool to clone the sensors.
This means making sure the tire addresses are exactly the same as the old sensors and in the same
position on the car. This is what you accomplished.

The second way requires the Tesla tool.
Install sensors that have addresses from the factory.
Use the Tesla tool to read the tire addresses and connect the tool to the car
and download the new addresses to their respective positions in the car...
When the tires are properly inflated, drive away - The car will read the data from the sensors
and everything should populate in one to two miles.

Shawn

Hi TPMS owners,

Sometime during the transition period they offered an chargeable upgrade from Baolong to Continental.

Tire stores with TPMS readers/programmers are able to read and determine the make of your sensors.

These age range cars by now could be experiencing depleted batteries in their TPMS.

The Baolong system uses 2 antennas: One in the front of the car and one in the back of the car.
If one or the other antennas is corrupted, the system will still work fine with the remaining functional antenna.
If one of your sensors has a battery failure it is best to replace ALL of them together...
It is better that 4 different trips and the lost time involved going to a tire shop or to Tesla.
A failed TPMS sensor can be cloned with the proper equipment and not require the car to be reprogrammed.
There is currently no tool other than the Tesla tool that can reprogram the car through the OBD2 port.

People with cars 2015 and newer with Continental sensors can relearn their sensors by using the now
disappeared button.

I hope the explanation above helps you to determine which group you belong to...

Good luck,

Shawn (The TPMS guy.)

Hi TPMS owners,

disappeared button.

Good luck,

Shawn (The TPMS guy.)
I have 2013 M S 85 (11/13 production). One of my TPMS is not working. Will these replacement work. Also, do I need to program or activate after installation. Discount Tire can install them for me. $120 for the set.

Thanks

TPMS.jpg

4 2012-2013 TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors Tesla Model S Base Performance Baolong

TPMS.jpg

Hi Tk1772,

They are the correct frequency and look like they should work for your S.
I cannot tell by looking at them if they have addresses from the factory.
If they have factory addresses after they are installed Tesla will need to use its tool
to program the car's antennas to recognize the new addresses in their new locations.

If they can be programmed by Discount Tire - They will use their tool to "clone" or to match the addresses
of the new sensors with the old sensors.
Your old sensors may not be "readable" by their tool but luckily the address should be marked on each
sensor.
So as Discount Tire removes a sensor, they clone it and replace it in the same tire it came from...
When this is done - The car just reads the sensors and all is good.
To the car the sensors just "suddenly" start to work because you replaced them.

That is a good installed price for the sensors...

The trick is in the tools...
Most tools can read many sensors...
Most tool can program many sensors...
A very few (expensive) tools can plug into your car's ODB port and program the car...
So far only the Tesla Baolong tool can program the older Tesla cars.

I have been working with Ateq for two years now, I hope some day they may incorporate that programming
into their current line of tools.

Shawn

A have my winter tires on for the seconden Year and was use to reset the sensors and so relearn the sensors, that worked fine last year. Now the button is gone in the interface and so I cant reset, and still driving with the error message..
Even vallen Tesla for support, they Rolf me to drive for 30 minutes, al should be ok than.. but no, drove today 2 times about 40 minutes, stell an error in my display..

Same story here. Swapped to winter tires, as I have been doing for the past 6 years.. But no sensor reset in V10. After half an hour, the TPMS error message came up, and hasn't disappeared. Tesla roadside service said it would "probably go away by itself" but after many hours it's still there. It even gave a false "tire pressure low" warning, instructing me to pull over. (pressures checked, all pressures normal)
This looks like a serious problem, created by Tesla introducing a broken software version.
Since the new service system was introduced, it has become very, very difficult to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.. (or anyone at all, actually). Everything arranged through the app, it found a spot in the agenda in 3 weeks... So Tesla is leaving me in the cold driving around with a faulty TPMS system. Which they have broken in the first place.
I think Tesla should consider providing a software update, but the first mentions of this problem are more than a month old (early swappers?), which seems like more than enough time to provide owners of first series MS's a way out..

I’m just as annoyed as anyone about this failure, especially as I spent many years developing/supporting software with a large “legacy” component that had to be respected. There were many times when a new developer would suggest removing a feature as “unnecessary” and I’d have remind them that large customer X still used it on a daily basis. In this case, it was a comprehensive failure by development (forgetting that the older cars have the old sensors and can’t reset automagically) and quality assurance (not performing the test case that would have caught the problem we’re all having).

I remain hopeful that Tesla will re-implement the TPMS reset button. In the meantime (just because I haven’t seen it mentioned yet) - a $3.00 “stick” tire gauge still works pretty well and is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing TPMS hardware.

The TPMS reset problem continues to plague me. A few days ago the TPMS hardware fault disappeared (after being present for a few weeks) but then I got no tire pressure readings. On that basis I canceled a service appointment, thinking the fault was in my old sensors and that the system fault had gone away.

I drove for a few days, but then the hardware fault reappeared. So I reset the wheels size (yet again, and interesting that they have no choice for 20s). When the car rebooted I then had several other errors, including no regeneration, traction control, and several others.

I consider these serious safety issues and I'm considering filing a formal complaint with NHTSA. Tire pressure readings are required by law and Tesla's software date has made this all FUBAR. To make matters worse, I couldn't get a service appointment until December 5. So apparently Tesla thinks I should drive for two weeks with these unsafe conditions.

I normally cut Tesla slack in many circumstances, but not this time, as they've very clearly screwed TPMS up big time.

I'm not afraid I have to eat crow. I had the Baolong sensors and had them replaced them with the Continental ones by a local tire shop last Friday. On my first drive, and within about five minutes, a wheel change message appeared on the touch screen, I hit OK, the TPMS error message disappeared, and the tire pressures appeared within 60 seconds. So V10, with the Continental TPMS sensors, seems to recognize the wheel change and there's no longer a need for TPMS reset button.

Hi Artsci,
So you mean a 1st generation MS will recognize the continentals and then "automagically" shows the individual tire pressures? As I recall, we'd need to adjust the TPMS readers as well, since the old MS has only 2 of those... If V10 could pull that off, that would be REAL magic...
But at any rate, even in the case of magic, V10 doesn't recognize Baolong, so I should open up 2 sets of wheels to replace the sensors, roughly a 500 Euro exercise...

Hi Artsci,
So you mean a 1st generation MS will recognize the continentals and then "automagically" shows the individual tire pressures? As I recall, we'd need to adjust the TPMS readers as well, since the old MS has only 2 of those... If V10 could pull that off, that would be REAL magic...
But at any rate, even in the case of magic, V10 doesn't recognize Baolong, so I should open up 2 sets of wheels to replace the sensors, roughly a 500 Euro exercise...

That was my case. Once I installed the Continental sensors the software recognized them, provided a wheel change message, and when I ok'd that message, provided the tire pressures. So my fault all along was outdated TPMS sensors. If you're having the TPMS problem, I'd definitely get the Continental sensors and program them for each wheel.