Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently joined the forum. I have learnt a lot from all of you over the past few months.

I am about to take delivery of MY LR and will soon be getting winter tires & wheels installed. Had a question re TPMS sensors - are these absolutely required / useful to have or can one manage without the sensors in the winter tires on a Tesla MY? Do Tesla vehicles use the tire pressure data for any further diagnostics such as vehicle range calculation depending on the tire pressure?

If needed will buy the TPMS from Tesla but does the TPMS warranty get voided if the winter wheels / tires are installed by third party and not by Tesla?

Thanks for your help.

Each wheel needs a Tesla Model Y TPMS sensor. You can purchase the TPMS sensors from the Tesla.com site for $75 US each. The Tesla vehicle can generate an error message if the system does not detect the sensor.

Tesla will usually only install Tesla wheels. If you purchase 3rd party wheels then you would have to have the wheels put on by a garage or do it yourself.

In the US tire centers are required to install wheels with TPMS sensors if the vehicle has a tire pressure monitoring system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrwug
TPMS sensors are not required based on my limited experience (2 weeks without them in Jan 2021). A warning message stays on in the corner of screen which was easily ignored by me. However, this did annoy the wife. There was no problems with driving or autopilot. I don't know what it is like with current software update.

I cannot comment on the warranty.

TPMS is NOT required. Yes you will have the warning on and it will stay on. No other information is transmitted from the TPMS so no worries about range etc.

I do not know on the warranty but if you were going the route of getting additional TPMS for another set of tires I would not use Tesla service unless it is just convenient. TPMS is basic and nothing special. A reputable wheel and tire shop can do the job and no need to worry.

TPMS is NOT required. Yes you will have the warning on and it will stay on. No other information is transmitted from the TPMS so no worries about range etc.

I do not know on the warranty but if you were going the route of getting additional TPMS for another set of tires I would not use Tesla service unless it is just convenient. TPMS is basic and nothing special. A reputable wheel and tire shop can do the job and no need to worry.
I'm about to replace some factory MYP wheels - is the process for linking the new sensors to the vehicle difficult? Is it just one of the many options in the UI?

I'm about to replace some factory MYP wheels - is the process for linking the new sensors to the vehicle difficult? Is it just one of the many options in the UI?
There is nothing you need to do to get the Tesla Model Y to acknowledge the new TPMS sensors. The Tesla Model Y will automatically start to use the new sensors after driving for a few miles.

There is nothing you need to do to get the Tesla Model Y to acknowledge the new TPMS sensors. The Tesla Model Y will automatically start to use the new sensors after driving for a few miles.
What he said. He beat me to it. They are "auto relearn" which means you install, inflate to door placard PSI and drive.

Reactions: Stook02ss
You can not use them on your winter tires, but personally I think winter tires is where you want them most. Tire pressure is (subjectively) more important in the winter than the summer for safety, and that's where I'd want them monitored more closely than I would do on my own.

Reactions: mrwug
Why can't you use them on winter tires?
You can. I think he was saying if the OP "isn't" going to use them he would rather put them in the winter tires instead of the summer. I would also tend to agree. PSI fluctuates much more in winter and adjusting accordingly will prolong the life of the tire. Summer is less susceptible to change and using a good old fashion tire gauge works.

If I end up buying new wheels/tires, am I able to use the old TPMS from my '22 M3P and rebuild them into my new wheel/tire combo?
Yes. Just ask the tire installer to remove the TPMS sensors from the current wheels and move the sensors to the new wheels. Wheel position does not matter. The Tesla Model Y Tire Pressure Monitoring System will automatically relearn the location of the new wheels, TPMS sensors.

Hi there,

please is this a normal pressure discrepancy because of air temperature change (morning/afternoon) or not?
Check my attachments. Thanks for any hints.

Attachments

• 1648640675090.jpg
    1648640675090.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 398
  • 1648640675100.jpg
    1648640675100.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 174
Hi there,

please is this a normal pressure discrepancy because of air temperature change (morning/afternoon) or not?
Check my attachments. Thanks for any hints.
Yes, it is normal for the tire pressure to increase as the outside temperature rises. If you park outdoors the tire pressure of the tires on the side exposed to direct sun can read 1 to 2 PSI higher than the tires on the opposite side. Always set tire pressure when the tires are cold, the vehicle has been driven less than 1 mile or has been parked for at least 3 hours out of the direct sun. Early morning is usually best.

Use a good quality tire pressure gauge, one that is accurate to within +/- 1 PSI. Tesla recommends 42 PSI (measured cold.) Do not adjust the tire pressure when the tires are warm. It is normal for the tire pressure to read as much as 4 or 5 PSI higher when the tires are at their warmest. Tire wear increases and tire failure is more likely to happen due to severely underinflated tires.

The tire pressure readings in the photos are normal.

Reactions: fcela and howardnj