Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS signal question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding of this (note: I've NOT done any TPMS work on my own car) is that if you have a genuine Tesla TPMS sensor (i.e., factory part), then you don't have to "program" it. Aftermarket sensors may require programming, especially if they are the old RF-based ones; no idea if the newer Bluetooth sensors require it.

At the least, you'll probably have to go into the Service menu in the car and reset the sensors in order to begin reading the new one.

My local Firestone cannot give me an answer on this:

I have a new Tesla Bluetooth TPMS to install on my 2022 M3P. Do the Bluetooth sensors require programming? They are saying their TPMS tool only goes to 2020 M3.

Thanks.
We have a 2022 M3LR and I do not believe that the protocols have changed between the M3P and the LR. They are Bluetooth and the car should recognize it.

I had a similar question when we installed new TPMS sensors for our winter wheels/tires.

OEM TPMS Sensors

They have served us well and are less expensive than from Tesla. Same product!

When we did the swap to winter tires/wheels it took a minute or so for our car to recognize them and worked flawlessly!