TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Track day 11/16 - WHP West AZ

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by destructure00, Nov 17, 2019.

1. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

Had my 3rd HPDE3 track day in the P3D yesterday, got some decent in-car video in case anyone is interested. There were 4 sessions yesterday, ended up skipping the second so I could run to the parts store and get some sandpaper to sand the glazing off my brake pads.

1st session I had a little off-road adventure, watch starting at 14:25. In the session before mine, a guy in DE2 did essentially the same thing but wasn't able to correct it and went into the tire wall off the right side of the track.

3rd and 4th sessions were pretty uneventful.

3rd:

4th:

This was my first time using a HPWC to charge at the track...plugged into a 14-50 outlet and was able to consistently get 48 amp charge rate throughout the day. Going from a Gen 1 UMC at 40 amps to the HPWC at 48 amps appears to make the difference between being able to stay at track vs leaving for a lunch time supercharging session. I didn't get to do all 4 sessions yesterday but the charge and discharge rates were in line with what I had predicted, and sans brake problems I'm confident I could have done all 4 sessions, starting the day at 100% and ending between 10-15%.

IMG_20191116_082624.jpg

My Hankook RS4s now have a total of 6 sessions on them, they have done great but have noticeable wear on the outsides. Camber adjustment is next on my list.

IMG_20191117_075116.jpg

IMG_20191117_075146.jpg

After trashing the stock brake pads my first time out back in April, I upgraded to RB rotors and XT910 street pads. Appears that I should have gone with their more aggressive XT970 track pads. The 910s are significantly better than stock....where the stock pads glazed over halfway through my first session, the 910s are good for about 2 full sessions. I sanded mine down during the day, then put 2 more sessions on them and they were glazed again.

Here's what I found when I pulled them after 1st session (they also had 3 sessions on them from last outing):
    IMG_20191116_104205.jpg

Sanded them down and put 2 more sessions on them. Here's a pic I took this morning....had to sand again. Glazed pad on left, sanded pad on right. Rears were also glazed, didn't get a pic.

IMG_20191117_080854.jpg

So what's next.....I decided the 910s are going to be my street pads combined with stock rotors, and I'll likely get a set of XT970s for the next track day to pair with my RB rotors. Also need some camber adjustment, that likely won't happen until late Feb or early March though.

Also found that the frunk is a perfect fit for a large floor jack :cool:

IMG_20191117_073233.jpg

• Like x 4
  2. destructure00

I got the off-road adventure on TeslaCam too, not sure how to put it on YouTube with all 4 cameras showing together. Anyone know?

3. destructure00

DE1 instructor had asked for a ride awhile back, finally synced up with him. He got some passenger video:

• Like x 2
  4. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

Heads up, WHP East is tough on brakes. The toughest out of the 20 plus tracks I’ve been on.

5. destructure00

Yeah that's the first one I did in this car, trashed the stock brakes and corded two PS4S. That was expensive.

6. beastmode13

beastmode13 Supporting Member

That Civic was hauling... :D

7. destructure00

He was quick. We went out on green instead of yellow, he was behind me in grid. I wanted an easy first lap and he was 100% right off the bat. Had to let him by, but caught him a bit later.

8. destructure00

It's funny watching the videos...I can see where I had consistently bad lines through a couple corners. Never realized it while driving. I should really start watching the videos between sessions.

9. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

Where is that track?

10. dcsr23

dcsr23 Member

I'm also in AZ. I wanted to go to this event, but work... Looked fun

11. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Member

I thought the HPWC plugged in to a 14-50 maxed out at 40 amps?

12. Lunares

Lunares Member

Question, if you hadn't sanded down the brake pads, what would have happened with street driving?

how hard is it to take the pads out and sand them?

I also have the XT910s, mainly for AutoX. hoping to take them to buttonwillow though.

13. destructure00

#13 destructure00, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Dropped pin
    Near Maricopa County, AZ 85226
    Google Maps

Bummer, would have been great to have another Tesla there. Are you a NASA member? Maybe I'll see you out there at a future event.

It's a normal HPWC, I added the 14-50 plug. This is the Gen 1 first version. I think the dip switches are set to 60 amps (there's no 48 amp dip switch combination on the original HPWC), but the car can only do 48, so that's the effective limit.

Would have been ok on the street I think. Pedal was really soft but seems to stop ok when everything is cool.

Removing the pads isn't too bad, pull the wheel, remove the two bolts holding the caliper in place, then remove the pads. Probably took me 20-25 minutes per side.

I would not recommend running the 910s at Buttonwillow. If you sand between sessions it's probably manageable, but you'll use them up quick. I think the 2 sandings I've done removed about half the pad material. I'm planning to buy 970s before my next outing.

14. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

Thanks! I haven't been there since it was called Firebird Raceway.

• Like x 1