Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode Rolling out Today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I think about it. Smaller diameter tires might be good. They could increase torque at the expense of top speed. I don't need 155 mph top speed, but wouldn't mind a bit more torque. But, there would need to be a way to re-calibrate the speedo.

If you want maximum grip for the track, go with 19” rims on 265/35 RE71 or R888R’s. You’ll thank us later.

Now that I think about it. Smaller diameter tires might be good. They could increase torque at the expense of top speed. I don't need 155 mph top speed, but wouldn't mind a bit more torque. But, there would need to be a way to re-calibrate the speedo.
Smaller diameter tires essentially reduce your power above base speed (~60kmh) by making your motor operate at a higher speed. I wouldn't do it intentionally unless you are one of those crazy autocross guys that install 13" wheels on Miata's and smaller brakes.

Nice. Looks like the RE71s are the better tires for mostly street use?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=635WR9RE71RXL&tab=Sizes

For 19 rims are you using Tesla 19 rims or aftermarket?

Highly recommend VMR wheels. They will machine the center bore and bolt pattern to OEM specs which means no hub ring. I have 19x9.5 ET 35 with 275/35 R888R’s. This is a very aggressive setup.

For street use I’d recommend going with kbecks setup. VMR V710FF 19x9.5 ET 33 and 265/35 RE71’s. This will give you a comfortable clearance between wheel and suspension.

Smaller diameter tires essentially reduce your power above base speed (~60kmh) by making your motor operate at a higher speed. I wouldn't do it intentionally unless you are one of those crazy autocross guys that install 13" wheels on Miata's and smaller brakes.

Good point. I forgot that power drops off pretty quickly above 60 mph. Interesting that it still pulls to 155 mph.

For street use I’d recommend going with kbecks setup. VMR V710FF 19x9.5 ET 33 and 265/35 RE71’s. This will give you a comfortable clearance between wheel and suspension.

I'm super happy with my set-up, though am probably going to go down to 255 and replace my RE71's with the new S007A in the near future.

Attachments

• TeslaPhoto1Touched.jpg
    TeslaPhoto1Touched.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Highly recommend VMR wheels. They will machine the center bore and bolt pattern to OEM specs which means no hub ring. I have 19x9.5 ET 35 with 275/35 R888R’s. This is a very aggressive setup.

What wheels are you using? What would you recommend for the track?

What wheels are you using? What would you recommend for the track?

VMR V804 19x9.5 ET 35. Because I went with 275/35 Toyo R888R’s I need a 3mm spacer on the fronts for adequate suspension clearance. If I had to do it again it would get VMR V710FF 19x9.5 ET 33 with 275/35 Toyo R888R’s or RE71’s. The extra 2mm would give me enough suspension clearance. The extra 10mm tire width does help.

VMR V804 19x9.5 ET 35. Because I went with 275/35 Toyo R888R’s I need a 3mm spacer on the fronts for adequate suspension clearance. If I had to do it again it would get VMR V710FF 19x9.5 ET 33 with 275/35 Toyo R888R’s or RE71’s. The extra 2mm would give me enough suspension clearance. The extra 10mm tire width does help.

You have just answered the question I was wondering. What is the ideal offset for the P3D folks if they wanted to run the maximum 275 wide tires on 19"x9.5. Though its probably overkill and a range hit on the street, you will appreciate the extra wide shoes on the track. Looks like 32 or 33 offset is the winner, though it might be questionable with 18"x9.5 or 10" rims, due to the shape of the suspension.

Last edited:
The +33 with 265's on a Performance car works great for me. My only complaint (and it's not really a complaint) with the RE-71R is that they are so quiet compared to the PS4S when cornering hard. Without tire noise (and obviously engine noise) it's super tricky to judge speed and how close you are to the limit on track.

On the highway though, the RE-71R is much noisier than the PS4S :)

The +33 with 265's on a Performance car works great for me. My only complaint (and it's not really a complaint) with the RE-71R is that they are so quiet compared to the PS4S when cornering hard. Without tire noise (and obviously engine noise) it's super tricky to judge speed and how close you are to the limit on track.

On the highway though, the RE-71R is much noisier than the PS4S :)
Is the +33 because you have the thin rotors that come with P3D+? If I have the MPP rotors, those are not thin so would +35 be OK with 265 on 19x9.5?

And how do they compare on ware longevity?
They have pretty crummy longevity on the track. They are super sticky though. The Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are not quite a grippy as the RE71Rs but will have better longevity. If we are willing to sacrifice some grip (still WAY better than PS4) Dunlop is an option.

I would not get R888 unless you track the car almost exclusively and live in warmer conditions. Those tires SUCK when cold and when worn down, do horrible in water. They are a very sticky tire in track conditions, its a streetable R comp but wont not suggest for any sort of daily driving.