Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode Set Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car has one motor on each axle. It has completely open differentials. The only way for it to do any kind of torque vectoring would be to drag a brake on one side- and then increase motor output to compensate. I've never seen any data that this occurs, and I've sure never felt it.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What's your source that the Model 3 torque vectors across an axle?
correct, you can call it essentially brake torque vectoring since there's no diff on each axle. This gives the ability for each wheel to get varying amounts of power, so the inside wheel gets braking applied and the outside wheel spins faster so the car can power out of a turn properly.

Google a search on torque vectoring for the model 3 i'm sure you'll come across a relevant article.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Great responses.

Some notes:

1) My first few days on a tight road course (max speeds around 105), the difference between Track mode and Chill mode was literally about 2%. Granted, this was on 200tw tires where the car would get scared before actually losing traction, but I was both surprised and impressed how fast the car could be on the most convervative settings.

2) Until you really know a read, I am not sure anything but front wheel slip is remotely safe. And this is coming from a guy who daily drives this..
15535873-7593-4395-B9E3-9D272E47D32A.jpeg

3) Ultimately, track mode is actually very effective at the limit, but also very subtle until you hit said limit. People are used to 2003-era cars where “to get the best times you have to turn off traction control.” That is absolutely not the case with this car (or most any good sport-centric vehicle from the last few years).

Also. Tires first, then dampers, then alignment, stress about track mode settings! The car will severely understeer at the limit until you get super rear-biased in track mode (I.e. slowing your times).

But yes, I do occasionally play around with Drift Mode ;) .

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Google a search on torque vectoring for the model 3 i'm sure you'll come across a relevant article.
I did this. I found nothing. This one's gonna be on you to prove. You're going to be going against Tesla's own description of Track Mode in the Plaid:, which actually does have torque vectoring on the rear axle:

• Lateral Torque Vectoring
    Using the same foundation as Model 3 Track Mode, Plaid Track Mode relies heavily on front and rear motors to command rotation: additional torque applied to the rear axle helps turn the nose of the car into a corner; torque applied to the front axle arrests rotation to pull the car straight.
  • Building on this principle, Model S Plaid’s dual rear motors enable full lateral torque vectoring. With Track Mode activated, Plaid automatically adjusts torque split across the rear wheels, independently, which applies a torque bias to rotate the car through turns; this increases turn-in response, improves on-center steering feel, and delivers even greater yaw control throughout a corner.
  • Compared to traditional open- and limited-slip differentials, which must always compete between turn-in response and maximum traction, our electric motors adjust in milliseconds to give the driver both strengths simultaneously, allowing for faster turn-in, increased cornering speeds, and harder acceleration on corner exit.

Reactions: buckets0fun
That's because grabbing a brake to straighten the car is how stability control works, on Tesla's and all other cars. Grabbing a brake to initiate or reduce a turn to make the car follow the steering wheel isn't Torque vectoring.

Which of course is what it goes away when you fully disable stability control.
gearchruncher, did you read my post? We proved beyond any debate that the MYP has EDL. The video makes it crystal clear that the car is not following the steering wheel.

I wouldn't call it torque vectoring either, it's just a virtual limited slip differential.

11kW statement is simply not true. you're saying the car consumes 13% of charge sitting there for 15min? I've never seen that.

If you're on the dragstrip you actually want to heat up the battery (if it's cold) to get the best runs for sure but you don't engage track mode for that. Instead you use the Navi to point to a local supercharger (for a model 3) so that it preheats the battery.

My reference is to going on the track, not the drag strip and frankly losing 2 tenths at the quarter mile isn't going to do anything for lap times. What matters is keeping that battery cool as much as possible so that you can run a 20min session at the track going 10/10ths.

When track mode is engaged, the system drops the temperature of the battery pack and motors to create a significant amount of chilled thermal mass. Once track driving begins and heat is generated, shared coolant loops between the battery and motors keep the entire system cooler for longer.
Please note that I said “11 KW” not 11 KWh. KW is a rate. It doesn’t maintain that rate for long but it will indeed hit that rate if you monitor it through OBDII.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
I'm sitting in my car now, waiting for a lap, looking at my CAn datalogger, and track mode hasn't peaked above 4kW of energy draw. I don't think it really does 11kW of cooling.
What year is your car? Does it have the heat pump?

Here it is pulling 12 KW while “preconditioning” in park. I haven’t done Track mode in awhile so I am still trying to find the picture from that.

FFD7657D-17DF-4D52-A161-943405C7CDB3.png

I couldn’t find the 11 KW picture right away. I will keep looking.

Here is 8 KW while in Track Mode in Park though. The S3XY buttons could be reporting it inaccurately. I acknowledge that is possible. However, I have seen 11 KW briefly while in Track Mode and in Park.

They had a bug where it wouldn’t show Track Mode in the picture but I took a picture of the Tesla screen right before I did the screenshot of the power draw.

4D972F0F-0CE6-41A0-84A7-431C70AFE03E.jpeg

BC10A43E-95F6-4909-B459-FA27ABDE608C.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
I did this. I found nothing. This one's gonna be on you to prove. You're going to be going against Tesla's own description of Track Mode in the Plaid:, which actually does have torque vectoring on the rear axle:

I didn't say anything about the Plaid - I'm talking about what's in the model 3 (track mode), the Plaid uses as you quoted uses the independent motors to control torque bias between the left and right rear wheels - which is ideal instead of using just the brakes.

Some good background on torque vectoring:
What is Torque Vectoring in a Car?

here’s a couple sources that I owe you… with direct quotes:

Tesla Model 3 Performance Gets Better and Better | Optiwatt
‘The Tesla Model 3 Performance is the first Tesla to include a Track mode that improves cooling and regenerative braking, torque vectoring, and relaxed stability control.’

Tesla's Track Mode: What does it do, exactly?
‘Tesla is also using brake torque vectoring (video) to mitigate some of the handling deficiencies caused by the car's open differential.’

Fancy your Tesla Model 3 with a limited-slip diff?
‘The Model 3 Performance of course has Track Mode which activates an electronic torque vectoring system

Can somebody please explain to me how Tesla AWD works? Thank you.
quote from our illustrious ‘MasterC17’ :
‘The Model 3 has a mechanically open differential, but it can be manipulated with software (torque vectoring, think "e-diff").’

• Informative
What year is your car? Does it have the heat pump?

Here it is pulling 12 KW while “preconditioning” in park. I haven’t done Track mode in awhile so I am still trying to find the picture from that.

View attachment 908946

I couldn’t find the 11 KW picture right away. I will keep looking.

Here is 8 KW while in Track Mode in Park though. The S3XY buttons could be reporting it inaccurately. I acknowledge that is possible. However, I have seen 11 KW briefly while in Track Mode and in Park.

They had a bug where it wouldn’t show Track Mode in the picture but I took a picture of the Tesla screen right before I did the screenshot of the power draw.

View attachment 908950
View attachment 908951
That's very informative thanks and sorry that I read too fast and mistakenly thought you meant 11kWh instead of KW - I usually associate power draw in kWh (for a timeframe).
So about 2-3kWh (from your readings above) assuming running 15min of track mode with the car parked which is about 2-4% consumption on the display. I think that's definitely possible but overall I think it's negligible considering what benefits you gain when you jump on the track for 20min with a precooled battery.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
On the street you’ll benefit more from alignment settings and a proper wheel tire combo than track mode.

Heck, that translates to the track as well. The stock/recommended alignment settings are junk for anything outside of commuting and even then, leave much to be desired.

The only adjustment you can make on a stock car is toe and the recommended toe settings are perfectly fine. Unless you like running a bunch of toe out and replacing your tires every couple thousand miles.

here’s a couple sources that I owe you… with direct quotes:
Fascinating that the only place we can find that claims a same axle e-diff exists is CNET of all places. Everyplace else is talking about front-rear, which sort of exists, but you are talking about on the same axle. You'd think Tesla would shout it from the hilltops if they had torque vectoring, given how many ICE cars are now doing it with very trick diffs.

@MasterC17 - What's your evidence that the car e-diffs? I've never felt it, and the CSV logs don't show any brake pressure coming online when wheel slip is detected.

• Helpful
I suspect there are conversational chasms we don’t realize exist between two very different sectors of brake-based handling enhancement:

1) Braking a spinning wheel: I fully suspect (and have experienced) Tesla’s traction control systems will brake a spinning wheel during near-straight acceleration. These systems are extremely sensitive and effective.

However…

2) Applying independent brake forces to align vehicle yaw with steering angle……………….. what evidence do we have of this?

Track Junkies and Track Mode experts,

I recently enabled Track Mode to watch what cooling impact it does to a hot battery during a drive in Vegas heat. Amazing how it gets the battery loop down to 25C to cool the battery from 40C. I may enable this in the peak summer to cool battery.

However, I noticed that when accelerating from a stop, the pedal calibration in the less than 20mph regime feels sluggish. I had a preset that was 50/50, 100% regen and traction control -9. When I switched to one of the default “Drift Preset” it didnt have that effect anymore.

Thoughts? Explanations?

I may enable this in the peak summer to cool battery.
Why are you worried about a warm battery? The car heats the battery on purpose in order to charge it and lithium batteries are more efficient at higher temps.

However, I noticed that when accelerating from a stop, the pedal calibration in the less than 20mph regime feels sluggish.
Never noticed this, However, track mode is meant for, well, tracks, and 0-20 MPH is irrelevant. I have noticed that I seem to get more traction control intervention at low speeds in track mode, so it may actually be that it pours down more power, which causes wheel slip, which causes backoff.

Reactions: DownshiftDre
Never noticed this, However, track mode is meant for, well, tracks, and 0-20 MPH is irrelevant. I have noticed that I seem to get more traction control intervention at low speeds in track mode, so it may actually be that it pours down more power, which causes wheel slip, which causes backoff.
I am going to experiment with different settings and see what settings sensitivity impacts my normal around town driving and pedal feel. My pedal almost feels like Chill Mode that first casual non spirited acceleration 0-20mph. Track Mode to me may mean my Cooling Mode thermal management system for peak summer months.

I live in the desert. In the summer the pack gets in the 40Cs and anything I can do stay on a lower calendar aging curve during the period is something I see in the direction of goodness for my personal Tesla use case. If I can sink all that heat out to outside air before parking in a hot garage for 12 hours, why not?
I am not sure the extra 7kw draw on the battery to run the AC at full blast to cool the battery is going to be much better.

Track Mode makes the throttle more linear to create more predictable throttle response. Especially at low speeds this probably feels “sluggish” since you need more pedal input to achieve the same torque values. 100% pedal still achieves 100% available torque; however, hypothetically 50% pedal in “Sport” mode might give 75% torque, versus 50%=~50% in track mode.

I live in the desert. In the summer the pack gets in the 40Cs and anything I can do stay on a lower calendar aging curve during the period is something I see in the direction of goodness for my personal Tesla use case. If I can sink all that heat out to outside air before parking in a hot garage for 12 hours, why not?
Unless you are doing this while plugged into a charger, you're beating up the battery to preserve the battery. You'll do more to limit battery wear by keeping your SoC low.

Also, do the math. How much cooler can you actually make the average battery temp over the summer? Hitting the battery with 5kW of cooling for 30 minutes is not going to make much difference in the average temp over 24 hours. Plus you have to factor in the energy cost of doing this- 2.5kWh of electricity is 50 cents. Do you really reduce battery wear enough to make this a cost and environmentally smart thing to do?

This would need a really detailed analysis to prove out.

I am not sure the extra 7kw draw on the battery to run the AC at full blast to cool the battery is going to be much better.

Track Mode makes the throttle more linear to create more predictable throttle response. Especially at low speeds this probably feels “sluggish” since you need more pedal input to achieve the same torque values. 100% pedal still achieves 100% available torque; however, hypothetically 50% pedal in “Sport” mode might give 75% torque, versus 50%=~50% in track mode.
Thank you for the comment.

I will have to run some data and understand power draw profiles but really discharge rate (C-rate) is not my concern. I couldve also drove the speed limit from Vegas to LA today but Im sure I pulled an 7kw extra by driving 90mph. This isnt the battery thread, so I wont get into details but main degradation driver is calendar aging time @ temperature vs discharge rate (C-rate) on battery.

Ive watched it try to cool and since Im not pouncing at the track, the cooling power thus far is minimal. Watching 700RPM on the heat pump and it cycles on/off. The thermal management system is also in parallel mode and mainly cooling battery loop since the inverters/motors on the motor loops are seeing normal usage with me driving around town.

Thanks for the accelerator pedal calibration explanation. Makes sense and glad I wasnt dreaming. My young and free track days are over but good to know my human-machine senses are still spot on.